Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 1 (Colak 24') - 2 Tottenham

IMO, Spurs will finish 3rd this season and will give the top 2 in England a run for their money. Conte is a top coach and he has some truly world class players. I watched Spurs do the same thing to Liverpool last season at Anfield so losing 2-1 to a quality side carries no shame. They are probably the best team we'll play all season (depending on CL qualification) 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Kent - Colak - Matondo

Tillman

Lundstram - Kamara

Red Van - Sands - Goldson - Tavernier

McLaughlin

It'll probably be Lawrence over Tillman. 

And Red Van may be eased in. 

I think it will be McGregor, but I hope not!

Gut feeling also says McGregor, but I hope not. Tillman will be eased into the British/Scottish game, so I would assume Lawrence going into the creative slot. Kent will sure get his place on the left, but you would hope that we, every now and then, put him on the left-midfield role and have a more lethal chap in front of him. Right now, I wouldn`t mind Sakala - Colak - Matondo, as Sakala has the pace and trickery needed to get through packed defences, as well as shoots if the opportunity is there ... while Kent time and again overruns balls or takes on one defender too any. Let him come from a deeper area ... though that may soon become Ridvan territory. Once Morelos is fit, I`d place him in the left attacking slot next to Colak, who is very central.

IMHO, certain people do not have to start every week, every game. Kent has his plusses, many of them, yet, we need goalscorers up top and for all his assists, the end product for that attacking slot has to be goals. Against packed defences, his pace often becomes too blunt a weapon.

EDIT: IMHO the defence will soon be Davies and Goldson.

Edited by der Berliner

The challenge for Rangers is so different from what the likes of Spurs face. They get handed £130m every year for doing nothing, we get a tiny fraction of that. They buy players for tens of £millions and pay them salaries our players can only dream of. Season after season they don't have to win anything but we if go 3 games without winning there's hell to pay. Yet we win trophies and conjure up astonishing European results when they don't. It's not hard to make a case for Rangers being a far, far bigger and better club than Spurs, West Ham, etc. What we achieved these last couple of seasons is outstanding and we should bear that in mind when criticising our players or performances.

35 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Can’t argue with that although I do like my ‘keepers to be shot stoppers first and foremost. It sort of fits with the job description. McGregor’s problem is that his command of the box, never his strongest suit, is diminishing leading to errors and goals so McLaughlin it should be.

I could understand a debate about whether it should be McGregor or McLaughlin, if we were NOT going to be a team to play it out from the back.

In that case, I'd still give the gloves to McLaughlin because McGregor's lack of command in his 6 yard box has morphed into a way that provincial dross (PD) target our goal,...and had success last season. 

Enter reallity, ie. Gio wants us to play out from the back and it isn't even a debate.

If Gio wants to play out from the back, surely we want two keepers who are good at distribution.

Maybe it is just a cunning plan, to encourage PD to venture forward and press us.

ps. I hope that McLaughlin´s attemped mazy in his 6 yard box against West Ham will be off the agenda come the competitive stuff.

Edited by buster.