Alan Hutton - Simply The Best

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=494&Itemid=1

Ever since Alan Hutton was given his debut at Partick Thistle in December 2002, Rangers fans have been divided over his contribution. Is he good enough? Can he develop? Is he international class? With every passing game, the lad is answering every one of those questions with aplomb!

Ever since around last November - not just since PLG left - Hutton has simply been outstanding. Consistent, strong, athletic, disciplined, good on the ball, aerially competent, decent distribution and generally developing into a top-class player. I hear off the park he has changed his lifestyle and attitude completely.

Once again the lad was superb last night. Despite being isolated at times, he again dealt with Malouda very well (as he done against Chelsea) and for the most part (in the second half especially) forged a decent understanding with Brown. In only his 2nd competitive cap he already looks as if he'll be an international mainstay for years to come.

Despite strong criticism over the last couple of years, when Hutton first became a regular first team player towards the end of the the 2004/05 season and the beginning of the next season Hutton looked like a player capable of doing what he's doing now. After he broke his leg he obviously lost his place, his confidence, his fitness and the backing of much of the support. Since then he has fought back well (from the injury, poor dispays and fan barracking) to find the kind of form (and more) when he first broke into the team. His reaction to us signing Phil Bardsley really appears to have focussed his mind.

To his credit he's came through those challenges a better player and I think that experience will help his career even more than if it hadn't happened. To that end, there is nothing stopping the lad going to the very top if he continues his form of the last year or so.

In addition to Hutton, it's great to see so many other young Scottish players eager to grasp the opportunity of not only playing for their club but the national side as well.

To be a success (even in Scotland) you must have the self-belief and extra social discipline to led your life and career as constructively as possible. In the last year or so I think the likes of McGregor, Hutton, Smith and Boyd at Rangers have really shown what can be done by being professional and consistent in your performance.

Guys like Naismith, Burke, Adam, Gow, Broadfoot and the younger fellas such as Fleck et al can only take heart from this kind of attitude and I'm really excited for the future of the club. Not only will we have a Scottish foundation for years to come but the foreigners we do sign to compliment them will see what genuine Scottish graft and spirit can do for their game.

With the excellent Craig Gordon, Darren Fletcher, James McFadden, Scott Brown and Stephen McManus (who had one of the best games I've seen him play last night), it's not only Rangers but Scottish football generally who will profit from this new breed of exciting Scottish talent.

What will the negative Scottish hacks write about now?

I'm sure Gerry McNee will find something! When we beat France at home, he still complained.

I agree about Hutton. He is, without doubt, the most improved player in Scotland. He still has a way to go, but he's well on the way to becoming the Rangers and Scotland right back for years. He still has to work on the rashness of his game. He dives in a little sometimes and sometimes his temprement lets him down (Zeta at home).

The future does look bright for Scotland and for Rangers

Nothing I can add about Hutton, he has made the mark up to be Rangers and Scotlands RB for the next 10 years if he wants and has set himself high standards with his last 12 months performances.

Its all his to throw away.

I dont actually think he is far off the finished article. I dont mind his odd rash decision, its sometimes good to have this in a player as long as it doesnt get silly.

Long may he be in the team.

Great post Frankie

A remember last season, 4th game in i think away to Kilmarnock and he conceded a penalty on the last minute i was raging with him. Said he was the weakest point in our team but all credit to him he has came on leaps and bounds

Well done Sir

Excellent post Frankie. Always been a Hutton fan and glad he's proving his doubters wrong now.

same here. he suffered a lot of unwarranted critisism in my eyes during the leguen blip and its great to see him back to his best. people forgot that he broke his leg and gave him no quarter on his return. well done Hutton. enjoy the praise as it is well earned and i for one will take great pleasure in telling the arsehole who sits along from to shut the fuck up the next time he gets on your back.

Agree with everything you say Frankie however, I spoke to a few people today who had watched the game last night and they commented about the full backs being the weakest part of the Scotland team. They singled out their poor distribution as factors.

I agree that we need to do better than Alexander but I thought the criticism of Hutton was harsh even though he probably is more effective when pushing forward.

Trailio I take it the people you spoke to weren't Rangers supporters? I thought Hutton had an Ok game last night and combined well with Brown down the flanks. His runs forward were often restricted but that was understandable because we were on the backfoot for a lot of the game. I feel he will become a Scotland mainstay in the future and has the potential to be Captain of Rangers possibly too one day imo

He has knuckled down rather than buckle... which is nice to see in this day and age. He could have gone, but he stuck with Rangers and I agree - he is by far the most improved player over the last 2 years. I hope he signs a long contract, and he becomes a Rangers and Scotland stalwart.