[FT] Hearts 0 - 4 Rangers (Colak 6, 30; Morelos 76; Kent 90+1)

43 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

i disagree the effort was far better. 

it eased off second half that natural with 30 games to play this month and anfield soon. 

We played the long ball in the first half and it paid dividends. It was a professional performance in the first 45.  The minute we returned to gios brand of football we fell apart.   Even with ten men Hearts still looked like they could nick a goal.   We certainly missed Jack in the second half.  There was a gaping hole in our midfield in his absence.  Davis is not the answer.  The quality of our passing and movement at times wouldn't get pass marks in an under tens game and for me that's a management problem.  

It was good to see kent and matondo getting involved in the goals but these positions are a real problem for us.  Neither got pass marks for their overall performance today.  As for Morelos....just once I'd like to see him on the park with goalak at the same time.  We just might have a chance of winning the league if Gio gives it a go.   But I fear that's not an option for him.

1 hour ago, gisabeer said:

We played the long ball in the first half and it paid dividends. It was a professional performance in the first 45.  The minute we returned to gios brand of football we fell apart.   Even with ten men Hearts still looked like they could nick a goal.   We certainly missed Jack in the second half.  There was a gaping hole in our midfield in his absence.  Davis is not the answer.  The quality of our passing and movement at times wouldn't get pass marks in an under tens game and for me that's a management problem.  

It was good to see kent and matondo getting involved in the goals but these positions are a real problem for us.  Neither got pass marks for their overall performance today.  As for Morelos....just once I'd like to see him on the park with goalak at the same time.  We just might have a chance of winning the league if Gio gives it a go.   But I fear that's not an option for him.

The option of long balls and getting behind defences is seldom available when games are tight against diddy clubs.

If teams like Aberdeen and Hearts come at us, it makes attacking with menace so much easier ....but obviously, you need a solid defence to minimise such opposition's threat.

Think back to the game at Tynecastle last December.

They start brightly but 2 counter attacks and we are 0-2 up after 14 minutes. The second, a long ball for Aribo to finish wonderfully.

Aberdeen may be more difficult than Hearts because they have more of a goal threat and/or Goodwin may be wise enough to change tactics and not leave so much space.

It will be back to playing against the low block against St.Mirren next week. That after our own version of a low block at Liverpool.

Wee aside

Very few draws in the top tier this season. I count six in 48 matches.

A few interesting stats I picked up from commentary today (not checked them tho!)

- Tav has never scored against Hearts.

- Kent has scored more goals against Hearts then any other club.

- if Alfie scores against them in next game, he gets to keep them

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

A few interesting stats I picked up from commentary today (not checked them tho!)

- Tav has never scored against Hearts.

- Kent has scored more goals against Hearts then any other club.

- if Alfie scores against them in next game, he gets to keep them

So is that Kent's second goal against Hearts today? 

Alfredo already has Kilmarnock on his mantlepiece.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

So is that Kent's second goal against Hearts today? 

Alfredo already has Kilmarnock on his mantlepiece.

I don't know - I found it strange when they mentioned it to be honest. I'll need to check. 

But Alfies record against them (and Killie) is impressive 

I can see both sides of the debate here. One off todays result was superb. We were never troubled by Hearts and took our chances well.

BUT ! 

our XG for today was 1.85 which means on a normal day we score 2. Watching the game I think the first 25-30 mins of the second half we were pedestrian at best. After scoring our first we had a

spell where Hearts had the initiative and won a few corners and created a

few half chances while we missed some good opportunities to put the game to bed.

Hearts might have just had an off day today.

One of the main issues I have with this team over the course of the past year domestically is we are a bit pedestrian and lack intensity at times. (Parkhead and Easter Road for example). We do that annoying horseshoe passing that teams love to play against when they sit in. Let’s not kid ourselves that this teams issues are magically gone now we have had a big away result.

I don’t think todays result fully puts to bed those criticisms. We need to see more consistent performances like todays over the next few months in the league.

So I think it’s ok to be optimistic given today’s result but these failings haven’t disappeared because of it.

One good result doesn’t make us worldbeaters same as one big defeat doesn’t make us garbage.

Great 3 points today, we clawed back 3 goals GD and on to Anfield.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

All this deep analysis and steadfast refusal to be happy about a good away win. Seriously, what's happened to us that we can no longer just rejoice in victory without qualifying every positive and studiously listing every negative in minute detail? It wasn't always like this. I'm sure we used to just enjoy being a Rangers supporter.

Our overall league performance, highlighted by that last Celtic game and these CL humpins are like seein  grandma naked...you just don't wipe that away in a few weeks.

It sticks with ya....for a while.

Just now, Malangsob said:

Our overall league performance, highlighted by that last Celtic game and these CL humpins are like seein  grandma naked...you just don't wipe that away in a few weeks.

It sticks with ya....for a while.

Yeah maybe but you don't take a photo and look at it every day.