[FT] Liverpool 2 - 0 Rangers

1 minute ago, Bill said:

One positive. We have an 18 year old defender who didn’t look out of place in this company. 

Qualifying for the CL was always about the cash! no Scottish team is good enough to be challenging any CL team! fact!

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Ultimately well beaten as Liverpool eased off in the 2nd half. The usual caveats over resources aside, we didn't really offer any decent quality on the ball until far too late in the game. You can play better teams but you can't afford to be so poor on the ball. Not good enough.

Obviously there were a few exceptions to that. McGregor was excellent, Goldson was largely solid whilst Matondo and Sakala provided a work-rate and threat that was missing previously. However, we're clearly well short overall and that goes further than a few bad passes.

Before bed, our season won't be defined by dropping out the CL group stage. However, the manager really needs to find a system and an XI that provides a lot more consistency and quality domestically and in Europe. As it stands I'm not seeing much progress but no white flag yet.

Totally agree. We aren’t using the squad we’ve got. A front three of Matondo, Colak and Sakala could do some damage domestically, with Tillman centrally behind them and Lundstram and Jack centre mid. We aren’t using our players and when we do the positions and system is wrong (Tillman wide). Champions League is very tricky to get right but we showed no ambition until the 80th minute. 

With a wee bit more ambition, we could have caused them more problems IMO. Tillman is a waste of a jersey so we are playing 10 v 11. 

I never expected anything other than a defeat therefore let's look at the positives.. 

1. It was only 2 goals and both came from dead balls. 

2. Goldson, Davies and King were outstanding. 

3. McGregor. Enough said.

Let's move on and at least give them something to think about at Ibrox. 

Just now, DMAA said:

Totally agree. We aren’t using the squad we’ve got. A front three of Matondo, Colak and Sakala could do some damage domestically, with Tillman centrally behind them and Lundstram and Jack centre mid. We aren’t using our players and when we do the positions and system is wrong (Tillman wide). Champions League is very tricky to get right but we showed no ambition until the 80th minute. 

Tillman out wide gave me creepy Namouchi vibes. 

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

With a wee bit more ambition, we could have caused them more problems IMO. Tillman is a waste of a jersey so we are playing 10 v 11. 

I never expected anything other than a defeat therefore let's look at the positives.. 

1. It was only 2 goals and both came from dead balls. 

2. Goldson, Davies and King were outstanding. 

3. McGregor. Enough said.

Let's move on and at least give them something to think about at Ibrox. 

Agree with all that and Matondo should be given a run in the team too

13 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Wasn't a shrinking violet when we destroyed Dortmund away last season. 

We are outclassed at this level and quicker we understand and accept that, the better.

We've punched above our weight for 2 or 3 years in Europe, starting with SG and continued with Gio last season and this season by qualifying for the CL. 

Wouldn't matter who our manager was, it would be same outcome.

Feel free to live in the past and accept the mediocrity that gio serves up.  I certainly don't.  We're the laughing stock of the Champions league and for the most part I blame the manager.

4 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

Feel free to live in the past and accept the mediocrity that gio serves up.  I certainly don't.  We're the laughing stock of the Champions league and for the most part I blame the manager.

Haha - 5 months ago (hardly harking back to 1966 here). 

What manager could get us to a Europa League Final then get us qualification for the Champions League whilst be unable to spend any money? 

The list of alternatives will be a short one, but please feel free to make some suggestions 

Edited by CammyF

According to Soccerway the Liverpool front three cost 167M Euros

Midfield 85M Euros

Defence 97M Euros

Keeper 62M Euros

Total 411M euros

Another planet !

Edited by buster.