[FT] Liverpool 2 - 0 Rangers

21 minutes ago, buster. said:

Relatively, so are we.

Too many of this team peaked a year or two ago.

I will repeat it.....

When a poor version of us meets our toughest group ever... relative carnage was always likely.

We need to rebuild with a new manager. This season will be generally 'difficult'.

I've been saying the same since we won the league. Unfortunately we're offering them new contracts.

44 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Out of contract at the end of the season:

McGregor

Jack

Davis

Arfield

Kent

Morelos

Helander

Sands

Tillman

Kamara wants out and not interested

Roofe never fit

Leaves us a bit thin on the ground. Maybe its the definition of 'rebuild' we disagree on. But we need to bring in at least 5 first team players next summer. Quality ones. 

I see what you mean. I always think evolution is best. A rebuild, to me, sounds like all the players are rubbish, which I disagree with. 

I would be taking up the options on Sands and Tillman. 

McGregor, Davis and Arfield should not have been resigned last summer. McGregor will be a big loss, but we do need to move on to a more modern 'keeper. That should have been done in the summer. Davis and Arfield are just squad player, to me. McCann should be ahead of them, IMO.

I feel like Kent and Morelos will sign new deals. I would like to keep Morelos, but wouldn't mind seeing the back of Kent. 

I like Kamara, and he's got several years left on his contract. 

Helander and Roofe and go. They never play. It's not a loss. 

Jack should re-sign too. He's a good player, good presence around the place, albeit injury prone. I do think he plays enough - he certainly plays more than Helander and Roofe, for example. 

I don't think we need 5 first-team players. Three certainly: GK, #8 and a RW. Maybe a CB, but I'm happy with King and Sands, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I see what you mean. I always think evolution is best. A rebuild, to me, sounds like all the players are rubbish, which I disagree with. 

I would be taking up the options on Sands and Tillman. 

McGregor, Davis and Arfield should not have been resigned last summer. McGregor will be a big loss, but we do need to move on to a more modern 'keeper. That should have been done in the summer. Davis and Arfield are just squad player, to me. McCann should be ahead of them, IMO.

I feel like Kent and Morelos will sign new deals. I would like to keep Morelos, but wouldn't mind seeing the back of Kent. 

I like Kamara, and he's got several years left on his contract. 

Helander and Roofe and go. They never play. It's not a loss. 

Jack should resign too. He's a good player, good presence around the place, albeit injury prone. I do think he plays enough - he certainly plays more than Helander and Roofe, for example. 

I don't think we need 5 first-team players. Three certainly: GK, #8 and a RW. Maybe a CB, but I've happy with King and Sands, to be honest.

Given the extent of our scare resources when it comes to a rebuild, sanctioning most of the cash on Sands and Tillman would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Haven't seen nearly enough to justify the potential outlay.

Still got time, but I doubt they'll get to a level to justify such fees.

Edited by buster.

19 minutes ago, buster. said:

This squad could have a managerial double act of Guardiola and Klopp, it wouldn't cut it.

First thing a decent manager would do would be to change it.

A Guardiola-Klopp double act in charge would not work. 

One or the other would get infinitely more out of this team than GvB.

The first thing a decent manager would do would be to get more out of this team. Did you see Klopp's first Liverpool team?! 10th to 4th and a CL spot. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't agree with this 'we're outmatched financially, so that's that' stance. 

Club Brugge beat Atletico 2-0 last night, to record their third straight win in the CL (Leverkusen and Porto are the others in their group). They are not on a level financial playing field. 

Brugge sold £50m worth of talent (three star players) in the summer, and replaced them with 4-5 players for £4-5m each. We're not far off that. Going by the rumours, we were in the market for the same player (Skov Olsen). (They did spend £13m on one player, who didn't play last night.) 

Brugge didn't go into the game against Atletico thinking, 'oh - Atletico have several £50m+ players, so we've got no chance'. No. They did the basics right, they set up to nullify Atletico's strengths, and, crucially, had a tactical plan to actually cause problems and score a goal. 

I would - and do - blame the manager for the majority of it. 

However, we did beat Dortmund and Leipzig last season. They are CL teams. Frankfurt held Tottenham last night in the CL. Again, Frankfurt are not so much better than us, and have taken a point from a side with vastly more financial resources than them. 

Exactly. A large portion of our fan base have incredibly low expectations. We should just be happy to be playing at stadiums like Anfield is the attitude of some. Not a Rangers attitude at all, there is a way to lose games that many of us wouldn’t complain about. We don’t have the ambition of clubs like Club Brugge, from the boardroom down to the fan base. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Morelos is paid far too much to be kept, we don’t get anything like value for money. He’s had pay rise after pay rise while his performance has declined. Colak will be on significantly less and has been a significant improvement. I’ve said for years a natural goalscorer scores for fun in this team, and we’ve finally got one starting and he is scoring for fun, despite the fact that we aren’t even creating much for him. 

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He’s had pay rise after pay rise while his performance has declined.

He played a large part in us getting to Seville.  

He has hardly played since he got injured.