[FT] Liverpool 2 - 0 Rangers

38 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

He played a large part in us getting to Seville.  

He has hardly played since he got injured.

He played his part, not a particularly large part. Scored 2 of our 10 goals in the 4 knockout games he played in, he was injured for the quarter final and semi final ties and we got there without him. 

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't agree with this 'we're outmatched financially, so that's that' stance. 

Club Brugge beat Atletico 2-0 last night, to record their third straight win in the CL (Leverkusen and Porto are the others in their group). They are not on a level financial playing field. 

Brugge have had a number of years in the CL recently and a much longer established player trading model. We can be like them but it will take time. 

I don't think they have to spend money on roof repairs, Edmiston house, Mike Ashley etc

Since we had the NHL in Berlin, I skipped this game ... and truth be told, you have to have some sort of sado-masochistic streak watching us getting hammered by the elite teams of Europe.

On bare facts, we keep even this sort of opposition at bay for most of our games, very few goals came from open play. None yesterday either. While people might say that they all hammered us so far, chances created and shots at goal don't win you games. Goals do. Kamara essentially gave two goals away against Napoli, Jack and McLaughlin managed that too, Sands deflected a shot into the net. That's not going to change the fact that we are totally out of our depth in the CL and we will sure need a few years to get anywhere close to mediocre CL standards.

You have to commend Gio for adopting a different tactic, though you would have to scold him for not trial-ing that earlier. After all, why introduce this for de facto the first time with these players AWAY TO LIVERPOOL? People, experienced or not, need to adopt to that and see how their fellow defenders work.

IMHO, last night, effort, grit and determination were needed, and IMHO it should have been Arfield and Colak from the start.

Likewise, it gets beyond farcical that Kent gets every game, full 90 mins, 365 per year, and everyone who usually plays on his side is shifted elsewhere. Be it Wright, Sakala and a host of other left-sided attackers before them. From what I heard so far, the game by-passed our wing-attackers again, which is no wonder in Kent's regard, but why on earth we put Tillman on the right is anyone's guess. Furthermore, that chap played 5th tier German footie not so long ago and now we send him out onto Anfield ...

Onwards we soldier, the gold is in the bag. Just make sure that come the end of the season, we get direct entry into that hoard, even if it will again most likely mean less European games next winter.

16 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Bruge have way way more cash than us. 

And Atletico have way way more cash than Brugge. 

Money is only part of the equation. 

(Actually, their squad value is £144m compared to our £114m, which is not a huge difference.)

Don't get me wrong: I'm not expecting us to beat Liverpool - they've reached 3 CL finals in the last 6 years (I think?). 

But I am expecting us to come up with a tactical plan and execute it properly. 

At the moment we're just... blah. 

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Who values our squad at 114 million? Nick Leeson? I think that's slightly optimistic.

Transfermrkt... :ninja: 

Average of £3.5m per player, which I don't think is too far off.

(Celtic are valued at £97m, but with 5 fewer players, which works out roughly the same average per player.)

There was another value placed on our side prior to the CL, which was similar, I think?