[FT] Rangers 1 (Arfield 17) - 7 Liverpool

43 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Oh right, so now we need the whole of football to be restructured. Not just a switch of association.

You are switching from one fantasy to another.

Go compare our revenue five years ago to our revenue today.

Go Compare....the gulf....it is increasing.

Again, I am not saying things will change. I am saying what (however unlikely) we'd need to stop the direction of travel.

9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Is it the nuclear option to get rid now or the prudent one giving any new man a season to develop their own team/style?

Not sure that fixes anything. The board decided this squad had enough left in the tank to get by and invested large sums in off field projects. This might increase the value and operating cash of the club long term but perhaps these types of projects are best carried out from a position of strength on the park. 

We have a big squad turnover job in the summer and unless we can plant a magic money tree in Edmiston house that will be a bargain hunt style window. Two of our biggest assets of the last generation are about to walk out the door for nothing in a few months.

We have had David Graham leave recently, Barry Scott, rumours of a takeover, Dave King constant noise, downsizing of the recruitment and coaching side. 

Who would want to come?  

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Sack GvB this morning.

Get Kjetil.

Give him a few games and then the WC break to coach the team. 

Simples. :D 

I'd bite your hand off for that, the players are not playing for Gio that's been clear for a while. But Kjetil probably has a larger transfer budget where he is.

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I'd bite your hand off for that, the players are not playing for Gio that's been clear for a while.

But Kjetil probably has a larger transfer budget where he is.

At Bodo/Glimt?! You're f*cking kidding!

As far as I can see they've spent nothing for the last 4 years - other than £700k in the 19/20 season. 

Woke up and initially thought the match was a nightmare.  

Unfortunately, it wasn't.  

The funny thing is, I thought Napoli were a better side than Liverpool (in the two recent Ibrox matches) but we gave up for the last 15-20 minutes last night.

Here's hoping the players aren't too demoralised by it and we win (and Man City also win) on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Woke up and initially thought the match was a nightmare.  

Unfortunately, it wasn't.  

The funny thing is, I thought Napoli were a better side than Liverpool (in the two recent Ibrox matches) but we gave up for the last 15-20 minutes last night.

Here's hoping the players aren't too demoralised by it and we win (and Man City also win) on Sunday.

Scary to think Napoli at home, put Eight goals past Ajax and Liverpool.

Ten past Ajax over the two games. Spalletti has them playing some amazing football.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

Scary to think Napoli at home, put Eight goals past Ajax and Liverpool.

Ten past Ajax over the two games. Spalletti has them playing some amazing football.

A great example of a team 'ending its cycle', losing some world class players and being rejuvenated by some real top recruitment. Yes they have spent a few million here and there but I believe much less than Ajax and Liverpool in the summer. Some shewed loan moves but overall top operating.

Heads up to @Rousseau who called it at the draw tbh.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

NB: my comment regarding us and Elgin City was related to the finances at play, not the form or possible performances. 

Liverpool sent 5 subs on last night, Millner was a freebie, the remaining 4 alone cost 105m and they essentially destroyed us. I can't comment on the last 3 goals, as I quit the show at 4-1, so how these other goals came about I can't tell. We do not belong there and I have no sado-masochistic streak and want to see my side getting whacked by far superior teams. The Goldson injury didn't help, having a rookie replacing him instead of a US international who got us into the group stages either. Tav had been rather poor at the first three goals, Salah's first also came of a wicked deflection that fell nicely in his path, IIRC.

Truth be told, I was rather up-beat when SG signed, not least when we ventured as far as we did in Europe. At home though, we essentially just soldiered on with better players. Be it the league in those first two years, or the cups. Europe was and remains a bonus. After the league title - and IMHO, we won that because our defense held tight like hardly ever before and after, rather than us doing anything exceptional in front of the defence. We simply didn't give as many goals and thus draws and defeats away as before and after that. And again, we soldiered on in the league thereafter, a few new players, but the same insufficient tactics for the Scottish game. And ... we far too much relied on the same players and did not rotate players as much as we could and should. Under Gio, we changed a little, but not that much. It all has become rather stale, watching the same stuff over and over again. You get the occasional spark, like Colak's striking ability or Sakala's enthusiasm, the latent talent of Tillman. But for the best part of 4 years or so, we simply paper over insufficient tactics with the use of different/new players, while keeping underperformers in the side. Finances will obviously stop us from signing top talent - and it has to be said that we also have first team starters or starting contenders in Roofe, Hagi, and Helander out right now. So while we are sure out of our depths in this CL group, we could still try to develop as a team, something which we haven't done for quite some time. Onwards we soldier ...

As it happens, my home-tome ice-hockey team was away in the Czech Republic in the Champions Hockey League, where the Czech, Finns and Swedes rule. After 3 thirds it was 2-2 and the Eisbären actually took the lead twice. In the final third, Kralove just upped it a gear or two and the final score was 8-2 in their favor.