[FT] Rangers 1 (Arfield 17) - 7 Liverpool

A wee reminder: wages aside ... we paid

- 4,3m for Davies, who I would suggest will be playing most games

- 3.6m for Ridvan, signed when Borna was essentially on the jump and people wanted him go anyway. Thankfully for Borna, he regained some form and good one at that. I for one wouldn't mind playing Ridvan in front of Borna, since he seems very adapt at attacking and defending too.

- 2.7m for Matondo, who was meant to be the answer on the right wing, yet given not much game time to really settle in ... and, after all, he is a winger. 

- 2.25m for Colak, who made us forget Morelos

... but no matter whether it were those guys or someone else, or we had spent 20m more, we'd still be miles off from the teams we face in our group. Well, make that astronomical units.

At this time, we also have 7 players out injured who could/would all contest as starting slot, and lost Goldson and Jack too. Obviously, you can ask for effort and all that, but you also have to keep in mind that the other teams, aside from their class, also can provide the same effort ... and them subs yesterday were clearly out to show Klopp that they should have been first choices. It is a very (football) Germany attitude to look primarily at oneself and not the opposition. Arrogance borne out of permanent success. Either "we" play good and deserve anything we get, or "we" played poorly. The opposition is always secondary. That is hardly objective and we shouldn't fall into that trap. Not least when the opposition is way above us.

All the above doesn't mean that we just suck it up and be done with it. But as I noted in the previous post, we need to change and shift some personnel as well as use adequate tactics to develop as a team. We've come a long way from the 4th tier and as before, our way will never end. We're not driving in a Bentley like Liverpool as yet, but a fairly well equipped Rover. A decent Mercedes would be the next step, before we start thinking about Bentleys et al.

28 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

- 3.6m for Ridvan, signed when Borna was essentially on the jump and people wanted him go anyway. Thankfully for Borna, he regained some form and good one at that. I for one wouldn't mind playing Ridvan in front of Borna, since he seems very adapt at attacking and defending too.

- 2.7m for Matondo, who was meant to be the answer on the right wing, yet given not much game time to really settle in ... and, after all, he is a winger. 

... but no matter whether it were those guys or someone else, or we had spent 20m more, we'd still be miles off from the teams we face in our group. Well, make that astronomical units.

At this time, we also have 7 players out injured who could/would all contest as starting slot, and lost Goldson and Jack too. Obviously, you can ask for effort and all that, but you also have to keep in mind that the other teams, aside from their class, also can provide the same effort ... and them subs yesterday were clearly out to show Klopp that they should have been first choices. It is a very (football) Germany attitude to look primarily at oneself and not the opposition. Arrogance borne out of permanent success. Either "we" play good and deserve anything we get, or "we" played poorly. The opposition is always secondary. That is hardly objective and we shouldn't fall into that trap. Not least when the opposition is way above us.

All the above doesn't mean that we just suck it up and be done with it. But as I noted in the previous post, we need to change and shift some personnel as well as use adequate tactics to develop as a team. We've come a long way from the 4th tier and as before, our way will never end. We're not driving in a Bentley like Liverpool as yet, but a fairly well equipped Rover. A decent Mercedes would be the next step, before we start thinking about Bentleys et al.

More like an old Skoda 

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Davies looks like he could be a good buy based on the very limited time I've seen of him.

Ridvan made total sense given his age and promise. But I've kind of lost patience with Borna too. We all know he's a confidence player, but how many second chances does one guy get? To me he's part of the underlying issue where we have such short memories now that we have a moan about a player not being good enough, they seem to improve for a bit but they soon regress and we have a moan again. Repeat.

Matondo - why didn't he start on the left last night after the promise he showed at Anfield? He couldn't have been any worse than Kent.

Colak looks like a bargain.

I agree 100% that no matter how much we'd have spent, the best we could have hoped for was a lucky draw which put us in with a chance of finishing 3rd, but last night was humiliating and some of those players had clearly given up and couldn't even be bothered running at points. We've proven ourselves to be an excellent European team at Europa League level, but didn't even show that last night from about when we conceded the soft equaliser.

Injuries is a good point, but playing devil's advocate... injuries and a lack of depth in some positions or alternative systems to play to minimise impact of injuries cost us the Europa league final IMO. Like with Borna, we have a false dawn with Ryan Jack every single year. Unlucky with Lawrence, but we then signed Souttar as well as keeping Helander. I think Souttar is a good player and was worth the risk... if we'd managed to move Helander on.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Might be time to recall Mayo. 

A King - Mayo - Sands back three would excite me... (No subs, though.)

The dream (with a new manager):

McCrorie

Sands - Mayo - King

Lundstram

Tavernier - Lowry - Tillman - Yilmaz

Morelos - Colak

We could replace Tillman with Kamara/Jack for a bit of control; there could be 1 striker with 2 inside forwards (Matondo / Sakala / Kent); Tillman could play up front in a floating, false-9 role like Havertz. 

There are exciting options, but GvB is too conservative - which is ironic, because we can't defend...