[FT] Napoli 3 - 0 Rangers

8 hours ago, Frankie said:

PS: We should have a preview with Colin and Eck dropping later this evening (might be live or recorded - now sure yet)... :)

Excellent as always, never any dead air time when Eck's on the go  :thup: .

Colin looking totally bewildered when he started talking about Captain Beefhearts 'Trout Mask Replica' 😂 .

Well, today's the day.  Sticking with @Franc Ergs' Captain Beefheart theme, I strongly suspect Napoli will 'booglarize' us.  

I'm going to try to watch it but can't promise I'll stick it out until full-time.   Might need some 'long neck bottles'.

For me it's about the performance......Organisation, Determination and Energy

If we were to get that right, the result should take care of itself, ie. a defeat, but not a doing.

I'm hoping, rather than expecting.

Ths is Gio's 11th CL group game as a manager

10 defeats

BUT his win (@Feyenoord) was against Napoli !!!

The above video highlights wingers playing high and wide, which, strangely, is somewhat rare nowadays - usually they cut inside and play in the half-space. 

When you have quick wingers it's so important to isolate them 1v1. 

We have frighteningly quick "wingers" in Kent, Sakala and Matondo, but we don't/can't use them properly. 

Wide positions really worry me tonight with Tav so obviously injured/out of form and Barisic less than dependable defensively.

I'm assuming we'll go three at the back again as we did in the first game.

21 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Wide positions really worry me tonight with Tav so obviously injured/out of form and Barisic less than dependable defensively.

I'm assuming we'll go three at the back again as we did in the first game.

Surely their Georgian winger, Kvaratskhelia is due a rest.

Napoli should be charged by FIFA with Cruelty if they play him against such a woefully off it Tav.

Seriously, the logical approach for the Italians is to get the game won as quickly as possible (2 or 3 goals to the good by HT) then use subs and coast.

So, we'll have to be ready for the fast start. 

So much talk about damage limitation and the obvious differences between the teams. We should be looking to surprise them early on and support counter attacks with reasonable numbers.

Bottomline is that to continue alive in Europe, we need to take something from the game and the Anfield approach won't wash. We aren't keeping a clean sheet, so we'll have to score.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Well, today's the day.  Sticking with @Franc Ergs' Captain Beefheart theme, I strongly suspect Napoli will 'booglarize' us.  

I'm going to try to watch it but can't promise I'll stick it out until full-time.   Might need some 'long neck bottles'.

If  our wide men play like Winged Eels, we might save face.