[FT] Napoli 3 - 0 Rangers

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

In that case you really have to play Arfield ahead of Sakala in midfield, or find some other way to provide cover for Tavernier and Barisic, both of whom will get totally overrun tonight. 

You're probably right.  I'd just be looking to play as many players capable of defending well as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You're probably right.  I'd just be looking to play as many players capable of defending well as possible. 

Recent CL games suggest we don't have too many of those. Releasing Leon Balogun was such a shit decision.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Recent CL games suggest we don't have too many of those. Releasing Leon Balogun was such a shit decision.

I liked Balogun but was he any more than useful?

He was often injured, struggled to play 2-3 games in a week and wasn't entirely reliable in a defensive sense. I'm happy enough we moved him on and have decided to develop King instead.

7 minutes ago, Frankie said:

He was often injured, struggled to play 2-3 games in a week and wasn't entirely reliable in a defensive sense. I'm happy enough we moved him on and have decided to develop King instead.

A wee bit harsh on big Leon Frankie. I think he was definitely more than useful IMO. We could be doing with his telescopic legs tonight. 

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

This is my feelings on this, it seems to me he either had some hard games last season (Malmo, Hibs LCSF) or was injured for the most part. He had that good game V them at Ibrox under Gerrard but other than that was unavailable far too often and definitely not available for 2 90 mins per week.

Perhaps if we hadn't signed Soutter who is rarely fit, held on to Helander who cant get fit we could have kept hold of him. 

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

52 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Balogun made 28 appearances in his first season and 37 in his second season which, since he wasn't always selected when available, is hardly someone who had major availability issues. He also deputised for Tavernier at right back when we had no replacement. I'd also point out that none of our players were "entirely reliable" in defence and, for my mind, Balogun was no worse than any other.

In any case, he's gone and QPR seem to be getting the best out of him. I still think it was a mistake to let him go.

Edited by Bill

Do you think we'll learn from the last CL horror show and actually attempt to tackle the opposition this evening?

I find a beefy tackle is often a good kick-start (for the team) during a faltering performance. Maybe that's why we've been shite for months. 

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Do you think we'll learn from the last CL horror show and actually attempt to tackle the opposition this evening?

I find a beefy tackle is often a good kick-start (for the team) during a faltering performance. Maybe that's why we've been shite for months. 

We haven't really got anyone that can put a decent tackle in. Knowing our luck Lunstrum would do it and end up sent off or something