42 minutes ago, Frankie said:

BTW, I never want this place to be an echo chamber so if anyone fancies being a bit stronger/direct in their criticism, I'd be happy to publish a counter piece... ;) 

On the contrary, it's exactly the sort of calming tone that's needed to counter the predictable hysteria that always descends in times of trouble. It would be a mistake to gauge our piety simply by the ferocity of our criticism - this is precisely when sober and constructive reflection is needed. I hope those running the club also recognise this.

We need to get the best of the young Scottish talent if there is such a thing these day’s if they come up to scratch play them if they are good enough age shouldn’t matter by doing that we have saleable players who cost little and could be very profitable.

All these foreign players have me thinking they are duds even before we buy them why would bigger clubs not snap them up it’s because they are not up to the job.

And it’s time to ditch the oldies get rid of them be sentimental can be costly .

And we need proper investment not soft loans so on that point I would appoint someone to sell the club lock stock and barrel in horse racing blue is a very popular colour among the Arabian mega rich owners .

This season's CL group phase cannot be any sort of "reasonable benchmark" as to where we are right now, unless you speak of European benchmarks. SG built a team that played solidly in Europe with a certain pool of player playing usually at the best of their abilities. Last season we even engineered a way to a European final, even though rather strange tactics meant that we got beaten by one of the more mediocre teams that we faced along the way, albeit an injury record that essentially lasts to this day.

We managed to get into the CL group phase and people may remember that I started to warn about the capabilities of the likes of Union Gilloise, who essentially walked through a EL group containing BL leaders Union Berlin, Braga, and Malmö

Once we got drawn against Liverpool, Napoli and Ajax, powerhouses in the modern game of football, the writing was on the wall. All three teams - apart from dealing on a different monetary planet than we do - are currently in form and play well. We, on contrast, still trying to find our stride even in Scotland and having the 5th and 6th choice centre-halfs and the rest injured or - beforehand - seriously out of form. Even those on the pitch barely reach their own highest standards in the here and now, Colak apart. It's a recipe for disaster and what happened was "just" a consequence of that.

Now, people ask for leadership and Gio, who inherited SG's squad and brought in six players, of whom Colak, Tillman, Davies, Ridvan* and Lawrence are sure better than what we had or have, Matondo's jury is still out. But you do see some changes in attitude towards these new signings, since much is now put on a pair of gold-scales that was - in times of sustained wins and glory times - overlooked. Since when did we e.g. ask a winger to be the next Davie Cooper or McCann, who both had dire spells too? Yet, for years no foul word was dared to aim at Kent or Tavernier, Kamara and Co.. We need to reshuffle the pack and much like any other manager, Gio will need time and money to assemble HIS Rangers side in the way he wants to see us play.

We are second in the league and still in dire straits with regards to injuries to vital players, while others simply can't get any sort of a sustained high level of performance, including our stalwarts Goldson, Tavernier, and Kent. There is so little pressure on the last two that mediocre performances become the norm and are papered over by the odd assist or penalty strike. If we need something, it is leadership on the field of play, players who take the initiative and chase anyone who does not do his job properly.

Obviously, the bucket has also be handed to the manager, at least when it comes to the Scottish games. Tactics and team selections were and remain baffling, even though, in Europe, he didn't do much wrong, as a) we didn't have the players for such opposition, and b) those on the pitch were simply not giving it their all, for whatever reason. If anything riles me about our CL group phase it is this. When you step out there in our Blue, you have to give anything you've got. If that is not enough for better opposition, fair enough. But I saw far too little of that in quite a few chaps.

For the time being, I just hope we get our injured folk back ASAP and the team back to a form that we know they have. If that means that some veterans and also-rans will have to leave in January and summer, so be it. The CL money will sure set us on a solid financial footing to make the next step, even though the likes of Liverpool, Napoli, Bayern and Co. are no benchmark whatsoever for us ... in the here and now.

* Just remember Borna's serious dip in form at the tail end of last season.

I’m a great believer that if you get the football side of things right at a club then the rest becomes easier. We’ve not done that. Since 2016 promotion we’ve had 4 managers & Murty temporary twice. That tells its own story i.e. some poor appointments.

On the football side I believe we should be basically an under25 team with 2 or 3 older players at most. And always be prepared to sell on players we develop and reinvest the money in the squad to begin the process all over again. Like Ajax do. We are now starting to see this happening although our recruitment has to be significantly better than we saw last summer and previously too.

We are on the right road but only at the very beginning. There’s a long way to go

When there is silence (or worse, misinformation) from the board, a vacuum is created and this vacuum is filled by speculation, hope, fear etc. As well as silence, the board do nothing to quell / squash rumours unless is a direct attack on them. 

There is a lack of leadership throughout our club and this must be addressed and has to begin with the board who should be setting the standards everyone at the club should be held to.

They also need to treat fans with respect and treat us like grown-ups. Tell us what is happening, tell us what priorities they are working to.

Tell us the KPis that they have set each department (pillars) and how they are performing to those on a quarterly basis. 

Tell us what the short/medium and long term plans are, what has been put in place to get us to achieve these plans and in what time frames. If these plans or priorities change, let us know.

Am I asking too much? As us fans Re are the major investors into the club, I think we deserve to be engages with and not taken for granted.

I understand there will be limitations to what can be shared and I understand that not many other clubs do this, but remember we claim to be more than a club and best in class. Time we stated delivering this.

Edited by CammyF

"Rewind back to the start of the season and the outlook was much brighter. Yes, we'd lost important players such as Bassey and Aribo to big money moves but we had strengthened the squad as well"

Did we actually strengthen in terms of quality? IMO we added more players without actually any great quality that would improve our starting XI. For example, is Matondo an improvement on Sakala? From what I've seen, he's an infererior version.