[2022] Who should be the next Rangers manager?

Who should be the next Rangers manager?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Rangers manager?

• Sean Dyche
    • Mick Beale
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Kevin Muscat
    • Rino Gattuso
    • David Martindale
    • Domenico Tedesco
    • Peter Bosz
    • Kjetil Knutsen
    • Barak Bakhar
    • Other (name in thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Bill said:

That's just a fashion thing. We're faster to jump on passing bandwagons than flees between dogs. Anyway, it seems pointless to criticise an appointment that appears to be all but done and dusted - do we really think it helps Rangers if we undermine a manager before he even starts the job?

In all honesty, I don't think my opinion or anyone elses on this forum undermines any potential manager. Poor results are the only thing that can do that.

51 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

If, as now seems almost certain, Beale is announced as our manager (still can’t believe I’ve typed that) then the board has just gone down even further in my estimations and are now hovering only just above the spivs, Green & Sir Duped.   Gone for the cheap lazy option with their fingers crossed.

People will still be saying stuff like this when we get in to the Champions League group stages next season.

I had the misfortune to have to listen to SSB this afternoon when they were discussing Michael Beale and his imminent appointment as Rangers manager.

They were saying he was inexperienced & how would he handle transfers, contracts and everything else that goes with the job.

Much of that nowadays ( as I believe) is done by the DoF/Sporting director allowing the manager to focus on the squad and prepare them for the games, arranging tactics etc.

Beale should be fine with that. It’s our DoF I worry about and what his role has been in these last 2 transfer windows. My advice to Michael Beale would be to ensure he has full control of signings.

1 hour ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

In all honesty, I don't think my opinion or anyone elses on this forum undermines any potential manager. Poor results are the only thing that can do that.

I'm sure you're right. After all, public opinion had no bearing on GvB's position.

I will, absolutely, get behind him at the games, but I really don’t see the evidence that he is a top class coach. One of our biggest complaints in the SG era was that we were really poor at in-game tactics when if plan A wasn’t working our coaches didn’t very often influence a change. SG & MB would stand or sit for ages discussing what to do and often did nothing or when they made changes they had no effect.

This seemed to continue at Villa when both moved there. I have heard how good a coach he is time and time again but I tend to judge players and coaches with my own eyes rather than what I read and by the time both moved on I don’t think there was much of a case to say he was an excellent coach. There are mitigating circumstances of coarse and he may have been pleading to SG to make certain changes and kept getting overruled. 

Time will tell, we may be able to tell quite quickly if he adopts a different shape and style from the SG era. It’s essentially the same players after all as it was only a year since he left us. Maybe I’ve just always been the kind to say if you leave Rangers of your own choice you don’t get to come back and this is playing on my mind too.