Do we have a McGregor problem?

He did well in Europe last season but cost us a number of points in the league. He had one great game this season (Liverpool away?) and then seemed to be living off that for the next few months. I get the fear every time a ball is crossed into our box.

I'd love us to bring in the replacement now, but guess we'll need to wait until the summer, given Beale's comments.

We have been spoiled in regards to the quality of keepers we've had for decades - Woods, Goram, Klos, McGregor and even Alaxeder. 

Replacing international and at times world class keepers ain't easy. 

My issue was not the 'quality' of the 'keeper but the style of the 'keeper. 

A shot-stopper, I would argue, is not necessary. 

I would put up with a 'keeper that has a mistake in him if he fits with the style of the team, that makes the team better.  

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I would put up with a 'keeper that has a mistake in him if he fits with the style of the team, that makes the team better.  

I don't think we can afford the Liverpool goalie, Rousseau.   😀

“Goalkeeper” - the clue is in the name. I like him to keep the ball from going into the net. He should be able to command the box and direct the defence at set-pieces. Anything after that is a useful bonus. 

We didn’t worry about McGregor until last season. He hasn’t suddenly lost his attack building skills. He never had them. He is leaking goals. That’s why his cup-final cameo should have been his last appearance.

A keeper who can move the ball quickly against the teams we play weekly is a massive advantage, as this is something thats probably needed more frequently than shot stopping.

Even taking a cross, which is pretty basic, is huge in terms of then setting quicker players off on the attack.

Such keepers are not ten-a-penny, sadly.

It’s just not the keeper it’s the whole defence that needs replaced never going to have success with the present lot but the problem is we don’t have the money so it’s time to employ a good defensive coach and bring in the boys that’s the cheapest option an might be the most beneficial one .

11 minutes ago, compo said:

that’s the cheapest option an might be the most beneficial one .

I agree with that. It’s a medium to long-term solution, though, and most supporters don’t do medium to long-term. The foe is only three titles behind. Soon it will be two. Can we wait?