[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

All of this talk about an insurmountable gulf between us and them is a load of rubbish.

They are better just now and there has been no debate for a little bit over a year.

But we lost a cup match by a single goal at the weekend.  In addition to that there are a couple of blatant errors from the management that may not happen in future.  Mistakes in team selection are really easy to correct in future.  Especially when you compare them to the problems that we have in terms of personnel.  I mean you can't teach a fellow like Morelos to be the type of player that we need.  He just doesn't get it and all we can do is wait for him to move on.   I would bet against restoring Kamara.  He appears to have lost interest altogether and we need to find a buyer as soon as possible.

Can’t help feeling however we’ve been handicapped by bad transfer windows in 2022. And that wasn’t just the fault of the then manager (GvB)

7 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Can’t help feeling however we’ve been handicapped by bad transfer windows in 2022. And that wasn’t just the fault of the then manager (GvB)

We got to the place we wanted to reach (55) and didn't build on it.

The apparent reason being that we didn't have sufficient money to give Gerrard what he was looking for prior to the CL qualifiers. We have went far too many transfer windows without them making a positive difference and far too many signings that have been outside bets (injury history, other problem, etc) that we have had little return from.

Was the board acting responsibly, not to throw more money at Gerrard that the club didn't have ? ....yes

In hindsight was it the right decision ? ....and would it have actually been the relatively cheaper option compared to the current situation that confronts us ? 

The board have the right strategy but in the context of trying to keep up with the neighbours (which is what it comes down to) we make too many bad decisions in that rush. Mostly at a football level, many down to limited finance. If squad management is poor, you are going nowhere.

Edited by buster.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

The apparent reason being that we didn't have sufficient money to give Gerrard what he was looking for prior to the CL qualifiers.

I think covid and the subsequent financial losses due to it led to this. Gerrards talk at the time was that of someone who expected financial backing.

30 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think covid and the subsequent financial losses due to it led to this. Gerrards talk at the time was that of someone who expected financial backing.

I am reluctant to criticize the board for this but hindsight suggests that another financial push at that stage may have been the right thing to do. I get the fact there are many good counter arguments and we converse in hindsight.

Too much money wasted is also a big factor.

The club had worked so hard to get in front again and we gave it up too easily.

Edited by buster.

Signings are always a bit of a gamble, especially when you're shopping in the bargain basement.   

I wasn't sure about GvB or Beale and (EL run excepted), neither of them proved me wrong.   But there's still time for Beale.

As for the squad, I think most of us agree a clear out is required.  Kent, Morelos, Kamara and several others have got to go.  

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

All he had to do was to get past Malmö. Advantage Rangers in the second leg of the tie but his team threw it away. If they hadn’t, money would have become available. The Board had to make a decision. They made the right one.

The exact same approach that the board takes every year.

Why do some find this difficult to understand?