Official: Arfield, Helander, Kent, McGregor and Morelos all to leave

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

But not supporting Helander back to full fitness? 

It may be one is kept for coaching purposes or the the other might never reach full fitness again.

12 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

In addition to these ones I presume we’ll now be trying to move on a few others not out of contract 

You have to hope so.

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Not always. Sometimes we can win a watch and get lucky with a £1million signing like Morelos. We could have sold him before 55 for big money and that’s a debate that will live on. But 1 million for that kind of return is ok.

What we cannot do is spend 7 million on a player and not recoup some of the cash. We don’t have the finances and will quickly return to the financial mire if repeated.

Similar for Helander and Roofe. It’s madness. Nearly 15 million of talent walking away for nothing. 

Puts that 1 million for Morelos into perspective imo.

Just because we only spent 1 million on him doesnt mean it hurt not capitalising on him when at the peak of his value.  Had we sold him for 15 million we could have been out of sight of Celtic.  Instead we pinned our hopes on him and it was a bust (admittedly hindsight plays a great deal in that) - but either way, just because you don't spend much doesnt mean it doesnt hurt when you don't capitalise on maximum value, especially when you have finances like ours.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Surprised to see Arfield move on.

The manager must have a better alternative.

The other four should all have been moved on earlier.

Rumours are that there is more to Arfield moving on than Beale having a better alternative.

12 minutes ago, craig said:

Just because we only spent 1 million on him doesnt mean it hurt not capitalising on him when at the peak of his value.  Had we sold him for 15 million we could have been out of sight of Celtic.  Instead we pinned our hopes on him and it was a bust (admittedly hindsight plays a great deal in that) - but either way, just because you don't spend much doesnt mean it doesnt hurt when you don't capitalise on maximum value, especially when you have finances like ours.

Not sure that I agree that it was a bust. He contributed towards 55 and getting to the Europa League final. I wouldn't swap either of them.

As a fan, I'd prefer to have them in the bank rather than the £15 million, spending which may not have had the impact we wished for.

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Rumours are that there is more to Arfield moving on than Beale having a better alternative.

Aye, well, nobody told me the rumours so I'll just need to remain ignorant.

If only there was someone, anyone, that could spread the rumour to this thread.

10 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He contributed towards 55 and getting to the Europa League final

Those things are used too much to excuse failures over the past years though. Celtic have been comfortably the best team in Scotland since 55. That's a huge failure, regardless of the EL run.