[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 52pen) - 3 Olympiacos

1 hour ago, Bill said:

If that's true, why have we brought in news players if all we needed was better shape, formation, organisation, etc?

I expected to see more of the same as last season - or, the end of the season - with better players. 

What we've seen is tinkering, without a consistent approach. 

That's the same whether you have a bunch of sh*te players or good players - albeit the latter will mask it more. 

I find that a bit concerning.

Like I've said, I'm not expecting the final product, but I expected to see something. It's still all so disjointed. It's frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Perhaps it is harsh. I've always said Beale doesn't excite me. He's quite limited in his set-up, IMO. 

Hopefully we see it in the next game. 

I just really expected to see something, anything in the last couple of games, but they've left me feeling deflated.

I left Ibrox last night feeling the same deflation. I think it was the excitement of perceived progress at last that came from recent recruitment, followed by the stark realisation that I had just watched all the same old flaws all over the park. I don't know why but it was true.

11 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

We're not disagreeing. What i'm trying to get to is your (and others) intent here. It reads like criticism of Beale and fairly damning criticism at that. You seem to be suggesting that our players don't know the formations they're meant to be playing. And if they do then the formations and tactics are poor. That seems harsh to me. Surely this is simply new players who haven't yet learned their roles or found their form and existing players getting to know new colleagues? 

To be fair, I always got the impression that the players couldn't grasp what Gio was trying to do with them. Not fully at least anyway.

That could be a communication issue but I reckon it was more of an understanding with how he wanted to play, that kind of Dutch/Guardiola/City group inspired football.

Unfortunately Gio wasn't Guardiola but there were players at Bayern who have been on record and said how they just couldn't grasp his football for months.

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't disagree, but, for me, the issue stems from the coaching team. 

I have a horrible feeling that you might be right: the strategy might not be good enough - it gives the appearance of being easy to read, hence easy to counter, and thus is -and may be likely to continue to be- ineffective.  

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

That could be a communication issue but I reckon it was more of an understanding with how he wanted to play, that kind of Dutch/Guardiola/City group inspired football.

I don’t think Gio was playing anything remotely like Guardiola inspired football. 

31 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I don’t think Gio was playing anything remotely like Guardiola inspired football. 

Didn't he spend time with the city group? And then bring in Dr Ceri Bowley who was a prominent figure for them? It's an educated guess to say he took inspiration from it.

That's why I think the players just couldn't wrap their head round it or the communication was dire.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

I see Sutton has started on Cantwell already! I know he is a twat, however he is relentless and seems Cantwell is his Rangers target for the season now Morelos has gone!.

As much as I hate Sutton, this is a road that I don't want to Cantwell go down. He dived. It looked pathetic. 

I'm still waiting on the Suttons campaign on Celtics Japanese striker habitual diving.