[FT] Rangers 2 (Sima 45; Matondo 76) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

It’s good to still be in the tie. I think PSV are clearly the better team and we’ve done well to get a draw last night, as disappointing as it was not to be able to hold a lead. We’re up against it at their own ground, but we were last year too. Huge game for Beale. 

Edited by DMAA

Reflecting on the game, our much maligned defence played very well despite losing 2 goals, especially one from a set-piece. Goldson and Souttar were rocks at the heart of the defence. Butland had a good game as well. 

Our much maligned attackers also played well / were effective with Sima and Matondo scoring marvelous goals and Dessers claiming 2 assists. 

The let down for me was the midfield. Jack, Raskin and Cifu were very poor last night. 

Thought PSV tired and / or looked nervous in the final 10 minutes of the game and we were unlucky not to score a third (Danilo chance and Matondo's rocket from edge of box).

The tie is on a knife edge, but with the same level of commitment and performance next week, getting a result is not out of the realms of possibility.

Also, thought the subs were correct and at the right time.  

Edited by CammyF

I think playing PSV suits us better than the usual SPFL low block stuff. I was not surprised by last nights performance and I think we have a good chance of qualifying. They got very lucky with their second goal last night.

We did to PSV last night what the SPFL teams do to us. Have the ball, move it out wide - you cant hurt us there - and move it back. We wait for our chance, press, win it back then hit on the break. On one occasion we failed to block 2 crosses and they scored from a really good dummy and midfielder not being tracked. It was a poor goal to lose, lots went wrong.

PSV looked good last night, technical, move the ball about quickly, pace out wide, midfielders & fullbacks get forward etc. How many times did they play the ball into de Jongs feet and run off him in a central / goal mouth area? ( I didnt see any and thats how you hurt teams)

I think if we play in Eindhoven like we did last night we can win. We will get chances. They look poor at the back.

Special mention to Dessers, thought he pressed really well and at the right times. Another 2 assists and the ball to matondo was 🔥

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

19 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Reflecting on the game, our much maligned defence played very well despite losing 2 goals, especially one from a set-piece. Goldson and Souttar were rocks at the heart of the defence. Butland had a good game as well. 

Our much maligned attackers also played well / were effective with Sima and Matondo scoring marvelous goals and Dessers claiming 2 assists. 

The let down for me was the midfield. Jack, Raskin and Cifu were very poor last night. 

Thought PSV tired and / or looked nervous in the final 10 minutes of the game and we were unlucky not to score a third (Danilo chance and Matondo's rocket from edge of box).

The tie is on a knife edge, but with the same level of commitment and performance next week, getting a result is not out of the realms of possibility.

Also, thought the subs were correct and at the right time.  

That puzzled me: I always think that our best X1 has these 3 in it. Maybe it just shows how good PSV midfield was.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I thought Cifuentes had a good game but Jack and Raskin weren't great.  

Matondo should start before Sima next week.  

Also, Lundstram looked like a man possessed when he came on.  

Good to see a performance from Lundtsram, but he seems to really blow either really hot or really cold in terms of form.

I've heard Jack doesn't train much due to ongoing injuries and it shows. He's a quality player but looks well off the pace.

Aye, Lundstram can be frustrating, in that when he's good, he's very good but most of the time he's got the first touch of a baby elephant and struggles to hit a decent pass.

Edited by Gonzo79

So what about our 4 new forwards? They seem to be vying for the infamous Van Vossen 'Sitter of the Season' award. On the bright side, there are goals in all of them. I feel they've each shown glimpses of what they are capable of and I think they just need time to settle in. 

51 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought Cifuentes had a good game but Jack and Raskin weren't great.  

Matondo should start before Sima next week.  

Also, Lundstram looked like a man possessed when he came on.  

Think Cifuentes got better as the game progressed and it was good to see Tav constantly talking to him. 

You're 100% correct regarding Lundstram - he was really good when he came on and don't know if it was coincidence or not, but we then began to dominate the game