[FT] Rangers 4 - 0 Livingston

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Aye, I still think Dessers might turn out okay.

Where would you play, Lammers, @Sutton_blows_goats?

As a #9 or with a #9 right down the middle leading the line but allowing him the freedom to drop deep.

He seemed to be playing right mid at times and #6 at others last night. I don't think he can hurt teams there.

The amount of pointless passing between defence and midfield was astonishing, but with the players selected, no real wonder. As I said before, those neat goals coated sugar over much toil and dire football. Our three attackers were essentially left to do much of their work alone, only the last goal late in injury time as down to some collective work. Ridvan set up Sima for the first with a long ball, Jack Ridvan and Borna Sima again - all with well-placed long balls from the back, leaving all the midfielders out of it. Between the first and second goal, the square- and back-passing got absurd again, as no-one of the CMs/DMs really filled the spaces. It should have been oh-so obvious, but MB did nothing to bring more creativity on.

Maybe one has to be satisfied with getting a result these days, but despite us having seen so much dire football of this very same sad standard, shouldn't we expect more from a Rangers team? Not least if we pumped up our attackers like we did last summer? It was Livingston, at home ...

Edited by der Berliner

4 hours ago, PoohBear said:

To me Lammers looks like every time he hits the ball he already believes he won't score, I think 3 years of poor playing has wrecked his confidence and I'm not convinced it is coming back. 

Dessers is another I'm completely flummoxed by. Who buys a completely immobile striker in 2023? 

I hope these guys come good, but I think if Beale is guilty of anything, he is guilty of relying on his knowledge and scouting from years past - not enough due diligence was performed on these guys to understand the types of players they are today. 

Beale's attitude to a DoF and his enthusiasm for handling this summer's recruitment by himself reminds me of some people I knew during my working life. They're not quite up to the job they've been given and are always keen to avoid the scrutiny that comes from having an immediate boss working too close. It looks to me like Beale has been given more rope than he could handle and the likes of Lammers and Dessers is the result we will all have to live with.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Just watched the match again on RTV. Funny what you miss first time round ...... Davies and Jack were better than I'd thought and I also missed the dummy by Wright that made Jack's goal.

I always watch the match back, not so much when we get beat, but you do see a lot of things you miss watching it live!.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

We had a keeper, 4 defenders, 2 kids and Dessers and Wright on the bench.

Wright is always a better attacking option than either of the three CMs/DMs. There is lots of talk about Rice's ability. One might have thrown on Borna earlier and let Ridvan loose on the left flank.

Wee sidenote, it might have been a cool idea to throw a B-side attacker on the bench, not another CM. Given that there was so much defensive folk on display anyway.

Wee sidenote II: it is rather brutal that we lost so much of our "fire-power" in but two weeks, and we haven't even reached match day 10. If Roofe's out for a while, yesterday might be a precursor of what is to come.