[FT] St Mirren 0 - 3 Rangers (Tavernier 30' pen, 90+1'; Sima 71')

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

For the benefit of the really aged what are sixes, eights and tens? Do sevens play any part in the game? I’m guessing that the numbers refer to pitch areas and or playing roles.

I never saw the days of inside lefts and the like in real life, but the 4-4-2 days, or that of the "libero".  But to speak in Rangers terms ...

6 = DM - the one and only Hemdani

8 = CM = box to box - McCall, maybe Ian Ferguson

10 = shadow striker - playmaker behind the centre forward - Laudrup; not the cool 2nd centre forward a la Hateley & McCoist

9 = that lone warrior up top - take your pick from Morelos, Colak, or any other hermit

(7 &) 11 are usually wingers, but no-one talks about that these days, since we play "modern football" ...

34 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I never saw the days of inside lefts and the like in real life, but the 4-4-2 days, or that of the "libero".  But to speak in Rangers terms ...

6 = DM - the one and only Hemdani

8 = CM = box to box - McCall, maybe Ian Ferguson

10 = shadow striker - playmaker behind the centre forward - Laudrup; not the cool 2nd centre forward a la Hateley & McCoist

9 = that lone warrior up top - take your pick from Morelos, Colak, or any other hermit

(7 &) 11 are usually wingers, but no-one talks about that these days, since we play "modern football" ...

A 10 and shadow (second) striker are different positions.

54 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I can only dream of another Brahim Hemdani 🥰

My recollection was that he didn't play that much in the league for us, and checking back, sure enough, he only started 12 league games in the 2007/8 season, but I was surprised that he started 36 out of the 38 league games in the 2006/7 season.

When I started watching Rangers line-ups were:

Goalkeeper

Right back                                           Left back

Right half                    Centre half                Left half

Outside right    Inside right          Centre forward       Inside left        Outside left 

no# stuff in these days and so uncomplicated.

35 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

When I started watching Rangers line-ups were:

Goalkeeper

Right back                                           Left back

Right half                    Centre half                Left half

Outside right    Inside right          Centre forward       Inside left        Outside left 

no# stuff in these days and so uncomplicated.

Do you know Man City - and most other elite sides - play like this? It's a 3-2-5. 

38 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Do you know Man City - and most other elite sides - play like this? It's a 3-2-5. 

The old stuff was more 3-2-2-3.

Two fullbacks either side of the centre-half.

Two half-backs, left and right.

Two inside forwards, left and right.

Centre furrit, wingers either side.

One half-back tended to be further back than the other, likewise one of the inside men. 

Rangers were playing a 4-2-4 before the system was invented. The earliest example being:

Shearer, Davis, Patterson, Little

McMillan, Stevenson

Scott, Millar, Baird, Wilson

53 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

The old stuff was more 3-2-2-3.

Two fullbacks either side of the centre-half.

Two half-backs, left and right.

Two inside forwards, left and right.

Centre furrit, wingers either side.

One half-back tended to be further back than the other, likewise one of the inside men. 

Rangers were playing a 4-2-4 before the system was invented. The earliest example being:

Shearer, Davis, Patterson, Little

McMillan, Stevenson

Scott, Millar, Baird, Wilson

That's what Man City use today, just with different position names; half-backs would be your #6s, inside forwards would be either #8s or outside forwards like Liverpool's Salah and Mane.

Did that 4-2-4 come before the Hungarians? They're the first I know of to use it in the early '50s.

11 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Did that 4-2-4 come before the Hungarians

You’re right. Hungary were first. What a team they had. I was being parochial as usual.

Hearts were first to do it officially by name. Danny Ferguson, normally a right half, number 4 trotted out with 7 on his back and took post on the right of the back four.

“ GerrupyurrwingFerrgyssun” the helpful cry from the terracing.