[FT] St Mirren 0 - 3 Rangers (Tavernier 30' pen, 90+1'; Sima 71')

From the highlights it looked as if we had plenty of chances, St. Mirren none. Stats confirmed this. Scoring three goals from 8 shots on target is also an improvement ... if we talk about stats. Dunno about the general state of play though, but given that not many people were back from injury, only the youngsters will probably have brought some spark into proceedings. Raskin looked to have played further forward.

As of yesterday, the onus is on Rangers to stay ahead of me in terms of years and titles. Back in the early 2000s, this looked easy enough. But since then ... so better get to work now!

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

From the highlights it looked as if we had plenty of chances, St. Mirren none. Stats confirmed this. Scoring three goals from 8 shots on target is also an improvement ... if we talk about stats. Dunno about the general state of play though, but given that not many people were back from injury, only the youngsters will probably have brought some spark into proceedings. Raskin looked to have played further forward.

As of yesterday, the onus is on Rangers to stay ahead of me in terms of years and titles. Back in the early 2000s, this looked easy enough. But since then ... so better get to work now!

From watching the game, the sending off specifically allowed Raskin to play further forward, where I think he is a bit more suited. The cameras actually picked up what looked like Davis telling him to play further forward just after the red card/penalty

2 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

From watching the game, the sending off specifically allowed Raskin to play further forward, where I think he is a bit more suited. The cameras actually picked up what looked like Davis telling him to play further forward just after the red card/penalty

He was playing further forward before that. 

Raskin was one of two #8s with Lundstram as the single #6, which was why he got forward more.

12 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

For the benefit of the really aged what are sixes, eights and tens? Do sevens play any part in the game? I’m guessing that the numbers refer to pitch areas and or playing roles.

6 - DM. (Rodri, Makelele)

8 - box-to-box, a bit further forward than a #6. (Gerrard, Lampard, DeBruyne)

9  and 10 - You know what #9 and #10 are, surely?

Some coaches actually go through the full 1-11. 

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

DJ made his debut against Cowdenbeath at Ibrox, scoring twice in a 5-0 victory. I believe he was 16.

Zak Lovelace made his debut against Queen of the South at Ibrox. I believe he was 16.

Bailey Rice made his debut away to Livi'. I believe he was 16.

Derek Ferguson made his debut in Tom Forsyth's testimonial match at Ibrox. I believe he was 15.

The only other one I can think that may be a challenger is Alex O'Hara. I believe he was 16 when he made his debut against Borussia Monchengladbach at Ibrox in a 3-2 victory.

As my old dad used to say,you’re all the man your ever going to be at 16 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

8 - box-to-box, a bit further forward than a #6. (Gerrard, Lampard, DeBruyne)

Ah, John Greig, the Prince of them all because he could do full back and centre forward as well often in the same ninety minutes.

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

9  and 10 - You know what #9 and #10 are, surely?

Nine the main striker or centre forward as we used to call them, got that, I think.

The ten? The nine’s chief assistant? Seems to be Ralphie Brand’s role. He actually wore number ten on his back and actually scored more than the nine. Role reversal.

12 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Ah, John Greig, the Prince of them all because he could do full back and centre forward as well often in the same ninety minutes.

Nine the main striker or centre forward as we used to call them, got that, I think.

The ten? The nine’s chief assistant? Seems to be Ralphie Brand’s role. He actually wore number ten on his back and actually scored more than the nine. Role reversal.

10 - Maradona, Cruyff, Platini, Baggio, Riquelme, Ozil. (There's not many pure 10s left any more - simply because teams don't use them as much.)

I'm not sure the old 3-2-5 formation played with a 10. Today the '2' would be two 6s; the '5' would be two wingers, two 8s (maybe two 10s, but they are more inverted wingers, like Salah and Mane, today), and a 9. 

Guardiola's Man City use the 3-2-5 in attack. With them it's the 8s that move forward into the forward line.