The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Why do we call Yilmaz by his first name but Cifu is never referred to as Jose?

Just one of those inexplicable, quaint anomalies life throws at us.  

12 hours ago, Fa1833 said:

Yes if we keep him but BB looks as if his time is up just purely on appearances,  yet again that might be a tactical move to show case Ridvans attributes and get a higher return  knowing he has a longer contract? that’s the question we need to be thinking also, time will tell 🤜🏼♥️🤍💙

As I’ve said it’s a Decoy lol, so does  that mean BB Is staying and we just played him solely on the basis of loaning him to another club for a higher fee, then I suppose the question is are we getting  jefte and BB stays and has a change of heart and signs another long term contract for a ageing player which tbh makes no sense, or is the Galatasaray move Just more false reporting Bull Sh#% ? Personally I’d keep Ridvan get Jefte on loan till we can buy him In the summer transfer market when we can afford the fees due to FFP rules Thoughts anyone Is it time to let BB move on? 

2 minutes ago, Fa1833 said:

As I’ve said it’s a Decoy lol, so does  that mean BB Is staying and we just played him solely on the basis of loaning him to another club for a higher fee, then I suppose the question is are we getting  jefte and BB stays and has a change of heart and signs another long term contract for a ageing player which tbh makes no sense, or is the Galatasaray move Just more false reporting Bull Sh#% ? Personally I’d keep Ridvan get Jefte on loan till we can buy him In the summer transfer market when we can afford the fees due to FFP rules Thoughts anyone Is it time to let BB move on? 

Yea. He's not one for the future is he? We need 2 players for each position and no loanees please. for LB we have Jefte and we need another though Sterling can play there.

18 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Just one of those inexplicable, quaint anomalies life throws at us.  

I suppose it’s personal preferences or maybe it’s what’s on the back of the shirt, Army personnel are always referred to as surnames rather than first names as when you call someone’s name it’s always the Surname they are referring each other to 🤣. But yeah strange I’ve never quite understood it tbh even after all these years I’m still called by my surname by my old Army m8s 

3 minutes ago, Fa1833 said:

I’m still called by my surname by my old Army m8s 

With Yilmaz, it might have something to do with both names not sounding like first or surnames to your average Scot.  Jose is quite commonly heard fue to the amount of Spanish and Portuguese players.  I've never heard the name Ridvan before.  

I'd imagine a DEI champion would call it a racist microaggression.  

I stopped the debate when the inevitable Hearts striker got brought into it. He's not a Rangers player, he never will be a Rangers player and the continuing so called speculation does my napper in

4 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

I stopped the debate when the inevitable Hearts striker got brought into it. He's not a Rangers player, he never will be a Rangers player and the continuing so called speculation does my napper in

Shankland in my view would find it much more difficult to score for Rangers when opponents have 11 men behind the ball. He wouldn’t get the space he gets at hertz. 

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Why do we call Yilmaz by his first name but Cifu is never referred to as Jose?

One of the great mysteries of life. I can only think of one 'Brian' who played for us yet we all call him 'Laudrup', yet there's been a few Alastairs over the years but only one we'd know as 'Ally'. Very few players earn only first name status. The few that do usually fall into two camps; club legends like Super Ally as already mentioned, Slim Jim or Sandy or those with 'unusual' Christian names like Lorenzo,  Fashion, Torry or Moses. But even then very few of them were just called by their first name. 

We went through a period in the 80s when we had a spate of Fergusons; Eric, Iain, Ian and Derek all played for us over a 5 or 6 year period yet were all known as 'Fergie'. Then our next two 'Fergusons' become better known by their first names; big Dunc and Barry. Go figure. If there's a rhyme or reason to it I've not sussed it out yet.