[FT] Rangers 2 (Barisic 10; Silva 76) - 0 Ayr Utd

OK, it wasn't a vintage performance and the usual attacking shortcomings were evident at times but it was also a very comfortable progression into the next round of the cup with good minutes for a variety of players. Job done and we move onto a huge 90mins on Wednesday night.

I think we can be critical of some aspects of that performance but with a decent number of starting XI changes it was inevitable that it would be disjointed at times. Ultimately, we need to be better and we'll see against County if we can be with a similar test in midweek.

Another clean sheet, we may not be much in attack but the lads know how to keep the door shut and that tells me we'll have a chance of success this season.

Box to box we're fine, in the opposing penalty area we're pretty poor. I thought the same in the game midweek.

Motm Souttar for me.

I felt sorry for Scott Wright towards the end, he just looked scared of receiving the ball.

I enjoyed the 1st half more than the 2nd. Good performance all round, except Wright! also Matondo is a bit of a headless chicken most of the time!.

Into the next round is what is important!. Treble(no I'm not mentioning quadruple) is still on.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

A swallow does make summer.

He did so a few games back and essentially did not do much worse than others (namely Goldson & Tavernier) today either. I'd rather have him in these kind of games than McCausland or Cantwell getting an injury. Decent enough squad player.

Should have been more goals, would love to see Silva and Dessers alongside one another, the former likes to drop deep and his all action style (like Cantwell) may earn him a few cards (IMHO, he rode his luck with Collum today). Decent workout for Cortes, Diomande, Raskin, and Jack.

10 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Well, and the fact yer boy Barisic scored 😉

He did score, but he ain't my boy, just think (and still do) that he's better than Ridvan. Neither good enough though. 

Through to the next round but our problems up front are there for all to see. 
It’s beginning to look that Silva will never be prolific enough whoever he plays for. Plenty decent deliveries into the box tonight & he was posted missing all too often. And very fortunate  to avoid a second yellow card although the first was typical Collum nonsense.

Dessers was on a decent wee scoring run & was dropped. I wonder if he’ll return on Wednesday 

And is it time up for Ryan Jack at the end of the season? If he can’t be available for every game then it might be better if he was replaced

Not to labour a point but I thought Yilmaz was a clear improvement when he came on for Barisic. 

I was slightly surprised how comfortable Ryan Jack looked for his 70 minutes. It would be interesting to see his passing stats compared with Raskin. 

Best defender on the field was Souttar for sure.