Rangers V Lyon Prediction

Naismith, McCulloch and Buffel should start miles ahead of Whittaker.

You cant honestly say you would prefer Whittaker at Right Mid to Buffel in an attacking role??

McCulloch will be on the left I think/hope!

Here we go again, I don't rate Buffel at all m8 as he has done virtually nothing IMO since he has been at Rangers and if you say he's done well in one or two games in his time here then that to me is ludicrous. We all know he HAS/HAD the ability but has hardly ever shown it in a Rangers jersey and I don't think he ever will/would.

I would pick SW miles before Buffel but that's my opinion m8, I don't agree with yours but that's what it's all about. SW can give more defensive cover than the likes of Buffel which we might need in a game like this also.

I think one thing that is forgotten is that your right mid (and left for that matter) needs to have an understanding with his RB. Whittaker is limited going forward but he slots in nicely when Hutton makes his rampaging runs down the flank.

Gribz.... you have said on numerous occasions that Buffel has only been shite when played out of position - yet here you are suggesting we play him..... out of position !! He has never played well for us when played as a wide midfielder.

Another thing we can't forget is we only need a draw so there is no way IMO that WS will go with Buffel - Whittaker is more solid defensively and for that reason would be ahead of Buffel IMO.

I would prefer Naismith to either of them to be honest although we havent seen enough of him to know if he would complement Hutton.

maybe gloating was a stupid thing to say I agree :rolleyes: but some of the posts here beggar belief sometimes IMHO. Maybe I read some of the posts wrong but to me some fans/posters seem happy they got the result correct and say I told ya so rather than the result itself.

I am not saying everyone is negative but again some posts are very negative again IMO m8 nothing else it's all about opinions here is it not :confused:

You think we will lose that's your opinion and I respect it but I don't think they are that much better than us, they have better players in some positions but we do have a good young (mainly Scottish based) team that I think will only get better. The game in France they were shooting mainly from outside the box and our defence with a 36 year old with no pace kept them there so there's no reason why we can't do it again but again that's only my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone who thinks we will get beat :cheers:

I never mentioned anything about being a better supporter than anyone else because I think we will win m8 :confused:

No problem johhny - As is the norm with me.... as we get closer to game time I get more confident. I think we will get the draw we need.

It will be an interesting game for sure and it may actually suit us to sit in and defend deep because they do have the pace to hurt us should we defend too high.

They DO have the players capable of hurting us though - players like Benzema, Juninho, Govou and that is what I fear most - because we don't really have those type of players in our team.

If you look at our likely line up.... it is looking like we will go with Cousin up front and whilst he has a great game for us in Lyon..... since that game he has looked completely disinterested in playing for Rangers. So who else do we rely on for scoring goals if needed ?? Boyd won't start and WS, I would think, won't allow Ferguson to roam too far forward.

That is why I have been fearful.... if we lose the first goal it looks difficult to see where we get one back from - although.... Lyon do give you chances to score.

I will go for a 0-0 draw- how does that sound for fence sitting !!!

Gribz.... you have said on numerous occasions that Buffel has only been shite when played out of position - yet here you are suggesting we play him..... out of position !! He has never played well for us when played as a wide midfielder.

Tell me where Ive said lets play Buffel out of position and out on the wings?

Tell me where Ive said lets play Buffel out of position and out on the wings?

Maybe I picked you up wrong when you said "you cant honestly say you prefer Whittaker at right mid than Buffel in an attacking role". If so, apologies.

But that statement is like comparing apples and oranges, unless you are expecting WS to play with no right mid.

At the end of the day Gribz, you like Buffel yet you are very much in the minority which suggests, to me at least, that there is something flawed in your thinking (or you see something that thousands of other fans dont). Yes, he has the talent but he has VERY RARELY applied it in a Rangers jersey - and yet you think that he is worth the chance in our most important game of the season thus far ??? Makes no sense to me.

I think Ian got it right by having a solid team to start and have your creative players such as Buffel sitting on the bench in case needed - but even then I doubt Buffel would come on.

He hasn't done enough in the past to warrant a place in the team for this game - now.... I would probably be saying something different if WS had at least given him a first team run out this season, and in the last couple of weeks, but he hasnt so I just cant see him doing so in this game.

Yes Buffel has been playing well in the reserves but he has far more talent than to be playing reserve football so you would expect him to be playing well - it is a far different matter to be thrown in at the deep end in a vital CL match.

But that statement is like comparing apples and oranges, unless you are expecting WS to play with no right mid.

Not at all, I expect McCulloch or Naismith to play right mid and Buffel could play in the hole behind the striker - that to me makes a better looking side.

At the end of the day Gribz, you like Buffel yet you are very much in the minority which suggests, to me at least, that there is something flawed in your thinking (or you see something that thousands of other fans dont). Yes, he has the talent but he has VERY RARELY applied it in a Rangers jersey - and yet you think that he is worth the chance in our most important game of the season thus far ??? Makes no sense to me.

Bit of an insult to suggest my thoughts are flawed simply because they are not the same as yours or a few others on this forum. Who is to say I dont see the game better than you or the others who disagree with me? The guy has talent - nobody has ever denied that - and I want to see him show this in a Rangers jersey rather than a totally average footballer like Whittaker. I want to see attack minded players in the team who can have a go at players and raise the tempo of a game. How others disagree with that makes no sense to me.

People rave about the likes of Boyd, but its playing the Boyds and Whittakers of this world that are the reason behind us not picking up a trophy in a few years.

I think Ian got it right by having a solid team to start and have your creative players such as Buffel sitting on the bench in case needed - but even then I doubt Buffel would come on.

For me, Id have a set up which is solid at the back but gives a good option of breaking away and creating chances. If we have the likes of Whittaker then IMO I cant see us having much chanes in the final 3rd. We have a solid back 5 then we can have Hemdani and Ferguson infront of that then leave Buffel, Naismith and McCulloch as options for breaking away with Cousin. The best source of defence is to attack at times. If we have a solid looking line up then we are inviting a good team like Lyon to have a go at us.

it's all about opinions Gribz and I don't really agree with yours and you don't mine fair enough that's what forums are for!!

Boyd has done more than Buffel could ever do IMO, scoring goals is what I like to see and there is no one better than him IMO at our club.

Boyd could do nothing the whole game then score a winner which is why I would play him more often than not for me a striker is there to score goals and he does his fair share, Buffel's position you can't get away with that which is why he doesn't and won't play for us again IMO, but I could be wrong.......if his work rate was like some of other players I could maybe understand you but for all his skill he has no engine, no heart and no desire.

One thing that no-one has spoken about is, considering we only need a draw,

don't you think that Lyon will be very wary of us scoring the first goal ?,which obviously will make their task a real up hill struggle,all the talk is about what Lyon are going to do to us !!!!!,let's not forget all the pressure is on THEM,they're away from home in the CL and NEED TO WIN,not an easy task for any team and especially at a ground where the home team don't often lose and where they are facing an incredible atmosphere from a massive home crowd.BRING IT ON !!!!

it's all about opinions Gribz and I don't really agree with yours and you don't mine fair enough that's what forums are for!!

Yes agreed mate, and i respect others views and I also see where you are coming from.

People disagree in every way of life from liking foods or voting political parties to rating and not rating footballers.

But id never suggest I think your flawed and not thinking straight simply because we dont agree.

:cheers: