Yilmaz goes off injured playing for Turkey

14 hours ago, CammyF said:

Dessers is still being written off even though he has contributed more

Dunno if I'd agree with that, I like the big man, he finds some really good positions and keeps coming back for more, but his finishing and decision making are very poor. I don't think you can compare the contributions of a full back and a striker, apples n oranges. I wouldn't be bothered if Dessers stays, as an option against diddy teams he does okay, but in bigger games, and particularly in europe, we can't be having a striker who converts as little chances as he does.

I don't really see anyone lauding Ridvan, tbh our support rarely lauds anyone more than they should.

Edited by Devil's advocaat

What age is Dessers?

What age is Yilmaz?

It's interesting when people only focus on one aspect of the player trading model but ignore others.

16 hours ago, CammyF said:

£6M for a player we signed for £250,000 and who has captained with distinction would be hard to turn down. It's exactly the trading model we require.

Ridvan is the exact opposite - paid a high fee for him, he's failed to deliver and we will be hard pushed to break-even. 

I understand that players require time before a judgement is made, but try telling that to the likes of Dessers, Sima, et al who were written off instantly, and some, like Dessers is still being written off even though he has contributed more and been here less time than someone like Ridvan and who are lauded for mediocrity. 

Weirdly, the fans in our support who continue to write the likes of Dessers off are the ones who tend to laud over Ridvan. 

You're missing the development aspect of the player trading model, but yes, definitely. (Technically that's true for Tavernier, but in theory we should be selling them a lot sooner than 32.)

I don't see the point in writing off any player. It's something I don't do. I always look at their skill-sets and look at how we can best utilise them - even someone like Lammers. 

However, I can understand - even if I don't agree with it - someone writing off a 29-year-old, but I can't understand writing off a 22-year-old (who cost a lot less than the 29-year-old). 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

You're missing the development aspect of the player trading model, but yes, definitely. (Technically that's true for Tavernier, but in theory we should be selling them a lot sooner than 32.)

I don't see the point in writing off any player. It's something I don't do. I always look at their skill-sets and look at how we can best utilise them - even someone like Lammers. 

However, I can understand - even if I don't agree with it - someone writing off a 29-year-old, but I can't understand writing off a 22-year-old (who cost a lot less than the 29-year-old). 

I'm not though. 

Bassey is a fantastic example of the development model we require. Worth noting, he was written off (what age was he) by the majority of Rangers fans, then stormed into the team, played brilliantly and sold for a huge profit. 

If Tav goes, a £6M fee is wonderful business. He has contributed immensely to our club, hardly missed a game and will make us a profit. 

Ridvan may develop into a great player, but he has hardly shown any glimpses of being continually outstanding (ala Bassey).

The initial outlay means we would need to sell for £5M to show any decent profit. Keeping him and playing him, in the hope he does improve sufficiently could trigger some of the add-ons, meaning we would need to sell him for £8-£10M.

He just doesn't look like a £8-£10M player (neither does Dessers) but nobody can argue that Dessers contribution in under 10 months is far better than Ridvans in what, 2 years?

In my opinion neither fit the trading model we are aspiring to and neither should be here long term. 

Edited by CammyF

I remember forty plus years past, Rangers signed a precocious teenage striker from Dundee, Ian Redford. It was a club record fee of £210,000 for the Perthshire lad, he had scored 35 goals in 80 appearances for the Dens Parkers.

His second game for Rangers was at Ibrox against Partick Thistle and we started him at left back. Thus, the precedent having been set, Dessers should be our left fullback on Saturday when we face Hibs.

The incessant criticism of a 22 year old incumbent at left back is perverse and hints more at defending a dubious personal stance than any credible assessment. I wish we could rise above pettiness like that. 

(irresistible scent of blood in the water)

After big Cyriel's usual 'clean through from the halfway line' miss last night, I think you may be right 26th! 

18 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Worth noting, he was written off (what age was he) by the majority of Rangers fans,

Away and don't talk rubbish. You seem to see a few folk saying something online and then extrapolate it to our whole support!

Edited by Devil's advocaat

Is the modern 'full back' more important as a defender or as an attacker? Opine. Or discuss, if you wish.

(Note that a midfield general,  from Ajaccio FC, then in France's Second Division, observed that attack is the best form of defence. He went on to conquer Europe, thereafter, with what was styled Boneyball.)