rae to captain against linfield

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~855969,00.html

well done gavin as you worked hard to get back to full fitness and you pllayed very well at the end of last season

Is this a wind up!! Rae to captain Rangers!!! ok the guy worked hard to get back to fitness and i dont like seeing a player injured but to have a player as bad as him as Rangers captain is shocking especially when he doesnt have a future here. I fookin played against him about 10 years ago and played him off the park!!!!!!!

Although, i admit, i honeslty hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be a strong midfield player for us! But can anyone see Rae being a world class midfielder??

Le Guen out eh Colshy ;):D :D ;)

The Frenchman arrived at Ibrox with the reputation of being a hard taskmaster and, so far, he has not disappointed.

His players have been put through double sessions since the first day they reported back from their summer holidays, as he attempts to whip them into shape for the new season.

But for Rae, merely being involved in pre-season in a pleasure.

He finally returned to first-team action in February after being sidelined for 22 months with a series of knee injuries - and he promises there will be no complaints from him about the tough new regime.

"Every manager is different and has his own ideas," said Rae.

"It's been hard work, but enjoyable.

"The last time I did pre-season was three years ago.

"The last couple of seasons I've been waiting for operations, so I'm pleased to be able to do it this time.

"Everyone thinks it's hard. But I'm really enjoying it just because of the simple fact I'm back and able to do it."

Rae is hoping that can continue through the season too.

"I just want to play as many games as I can and contribute as much as I can," he said.

"It's been a frustrating last couple of years, and I just want to get back to enjoying football again."

He will wear the captain's armband, in the absence of injured captain Barry Ferguson, for Thursday's friendly against Linfield at Windsor Park.

But he is well aware that simply holding down a place in the team will be a tough task once the new SPL season gets under way at Motherwell on July 30.

Rae added: "I feel fine, I feel fit and I'll get sharper with more games and carry on from there.

"There's always going to be competition for places at a club like this."

Rae also insists every player - as well as Le Guen - is well aware of the need for Rangers to return to top form next season following their third-place finish in the SPL last term.

He said: "A club like this needs to be winning trophies - and after not doing it last year, we need to put that right this year.

"At any club you are trying to do your best in the first few games - but especially at a club like this, you need to hit the ground running.

"I hope that's what we will do; we are certainly putting all the effort in just now to make sure that happens."

it just shows that any pre-conceptions about who was getting papped might not be true. well done to big gavin! just shows that if you work hard and have the right attitude then le guen will give you a chance. ditto with boydy getting an extra year on his contract - he's made all the right noises about coming back to murray park to impress the new boss...

Yes, just found this from Gavin Rae:

He said: "I hope to play my part next season. I haven't spoken to the manager one-to-one but then I don't think anybody has.

"He's still trying to assess people and I'm just trying to do my best. I just have to wait and see what the manager's thoughts are."

The article also mentions that PLG wants to sign Elmander and one other striker to add to Boyd, Novo and Prso. So it looks like there are more faces on the way, but he does need players to go by the sounds of it to be able to afford more if they got Elmander.

I think he's only captain because he'll probably be the longest serving player in the team and he's a senior Scottish player. PLG wants to retain our Scottish identity and by making Scottish players that captain that's a good way of doing that.

I actually like Rae as a player. He's worked hard to get back to fitness and showed up well towards the end of lats season. After a good pre-season and a few more games under his belt, he could be a useful player to have around.

Considering we've not got much money and we've not had a decent box-to-box midfielder for a long while, Rae may be that type of midfielder we need.

Its only for a friendly ffs, Rae will put in a good shift and play his part with Barry missing.

Im a little surprised Prso didnt get it too but it doesnt really matter, it could give Rae a confidence boost, and after his injury troubles thats just what he needs!

Its only for a friendly ffs, Rae will put in a good shift and play his part with Barry missing.

Im a little surprised Prso didnt get it too but it doesnt really matter, it could give Rae a confidence boost, and after his injury troubles thats just what he needs!

totally agree with you but prso is on holiday because he was at the w/c

I actually thought Rae did not bad at the end of the season considering he had two years out. He was at least as good as an unfit Fergie and can only get better with a proper preseason behind him - and of course the Le Guen factor...

I thought he was one of the one's to leave but I wouldn't mind him staying for a season to see what he can do. His wage can't be too bad and he'll up our Scottish quota.

I'm not saying he's great, but he's shown enough for me to think he deserves a chance as a squad player for a while.

Canny see what all the fuss is about myself, i don't care who the captain is.

I'm just glad to see Gavin getting back involved in the first team as i think he could do a job when 100% fit,he's got a great engine and likes to get in the box.Anybody who works their balls off for the jersey deserves a chance IMO.