Our lead could be cut to one point.

If Gretna go into administration on Monday and fail to finish the season our lead will be cut to only one point. Lets hope the SPL save them. A warning to other businessmen who try to live the dream.

SPL Set To Rescue Gretna

Mar 8 2008 By Gordon Parks And Craig Swan

Exclusive Spl Chiefs Ready To Ride To Crisis Club's Rescue In Bid To Prevent League Chaos

FEARFUL SPL chiefs are set to offer Gretna a crisis loan to avoid a chaotic upheaval of the league table.

The cash-strapped club are set to enter into administration on Monday with fears they won't be able to fulfil their remaining fixtures.

Club owner Brooks Mileson's serious illness has led to Gretna's funds drying up and while they struggle to keep themselves afloat there are growing concerns top-flight teams would have EVERY point earned against the Borders club this season declared void.

That nightmare scenario would cut Rangers' lead over Celtic at the top to just one point.

SPL secretary Ian Blair admits that prospect can't be ruled out but is adamant they will provide financial support if it's required.

He said: "If Gretna cannot fulfil their fixtures it would be a breach of our rules but there is no precedent for this.

"It's not a situation we've encountered but the SPL have a facility where we can provide loan agreements to clubs in financial difficulty. It would then become a matter for the SPL board to decide the next step.

"What we can say is we can't guarantee anything will or won't happen as far as the league table is concerned. What we need to do is work with Gretna and their administrators and try to make sure they're in a position to fulfil their fixture obligations."

Blair will monitor the situation over the weekend in a bid to get a clearer picture of Gretna's plight but admitted they could step in to bail the club out.

He said: "Those loans would relate to fees the club is still to receive from the SPL during and at the end of the season.

"It's fair to say we will do everything we can to ensure this season's fixtures aren't disrupted. That has to be the priority.

"We've never been asked for a loan but that mechanism is in place for all clubs.

"If Gretna are placed in administration they'll face the same sporting sanctions anyone else in that position would face.

"They would be deducted 10 points and have an embargo placed on them over signing new players which at this stage of the season would have little relevance.

"It would be foolish to comment until we see what the position is but everyone is determined to make sure Gretna fulfil their fixture schedule. Any other scenario is something we'll all strive to avoid."

Mileson's son Craig, chief-executive Graham Muir, chairman Ron McGregor, vice-chairwoman Helen McGregor and general manager Mick Wadsworth spent five hours in meetings with financial and administration experts yesterday.

No definite decisions were made on the club's immediate future and an official announcement is expected on Monday.

David Elliot from the insolvency practitioners Wilson Field Ltd said: "One concern is how the club is going to finance itself in the absence of Mr Mileson.

"I can only tell you the directors are having discussions. My role was to say how the administration process works.

"Administration is one of the options and that is among the things they are considering. The directors will continue talks. Mr Mileson has been represented at the meetings and is fully aware of what is going on. I don't know how poorly he is."

Gretna's officials remained tight-lipped on the situation as they left Raydale.

The McGregors made no comment and Muir also kept his counsel. However, Wadsworth did let slip he may stay on regardless of any administrators' cull.

The caretaker manager initially said he'd make no comment but, when asked if he is still in charge, said: "Yes".

Wadsworth was then quizzed on the position of the players and said: "They'll be in for training on Monday."

But club physio Kenny Crichton aptly summed up the awful situation. He said: "I think it is going to be the old tombola to see who the administrators keep.

"It's so sad. I've had a great two years here when we won the First Division and played in the UEFA Cup.

"I have to cling to some hope otherwise I don't know what will get me of bed in the morning.

"I have a family and a mortgage and I'm just a normal guy with commitments.

"There is no sexiness about Scottish football anymore, that's for sure."

Also Celtic play Dundee Utd on wednesday and Motherwell on Saturday

They win they 2 games thats them at least 2 points in front, if that happens with Gretna that means 5 behind, but us have 3 games in hand

A typical scottish farce. Teams should be checked out to make sure they are capable of at least turning up for 38 games.

Its absolute bullshit that points would be declared void. Surely everyone should automatically just get a 5-0 walkover and 3 pts from there remaining fixture against Gretna.

I also heard if they go bust then there will still be relegation for another club - again this is a nonsense and surely the courts will come in. Killie or St Mirren dont deserve to go down because Gretna go bust.

Clyde news this morning quoted the Killie chairman as saying that he had checked the rules and that there was nothing at all about an 11th placed team getting relegated should the 12th team go bust. It just wouldn't be cricket anways.

The only reason I can see for the gap being closed to 1pt is that we've played one more game against Gretna than Celtic. That being the case you'd expect them to win that game anyway making no difference. The result is that we are one point ahead with a game in hand.

The only reason I can see for the gap being closed to 1pt is that we've played one more game against Gretna than Celtic. That being the case you'd expect them to win that game anyway making no difference. The result is that we are one point ahead with a game in hand.

Exactly, we would still have the chance to go 4 clear, depending on who the game in hand is against.

But it wont happen, SPL will save face first