Ragers v Dundee United - League Cup Final Thread

Its been over a month since we dumped Hearts out of the CIS Cup in the semi-final, but at long last we're on our way back to Hampden for a cup final. OK, so its only the league cup which is often called a "diddy" competition, but every club outwith us and Dundee United would still rather be there and not. As well as being a great day out for the fans, its the chance to win the first silverware of the season and in our case, hopefully, the first of many. It will also be the first chance for many of these players to win a trophy with Rangers. Many won't have played in a final at Hampden before, so I don't think that factor should be underestimated either in the team's desire to win.

Since that semi, the team has gone from strength to strength. While the fans have often made it clear that they don't always like Walter Smith's sometimes negative approach to games, you can't argue with results and we've now gone 20 games undefeated in the SPL. Meanwhile, Craig Levein has undoubtedly improved United this season and they're looking a much more resilient side, a fact which is underlined by their recent draw at Parkhead, not to mention the fact they're sitting in third place. While we got in to the game as favourites, we all know that you can't take anything for granted, especially in one-off matches like this.

Coming off the back of the UEFA Cup success in Bremen, Smith doesn't have his troubles to seek in terms of team selection up front. Daniel Cousin is out with a broken jaw, Nacho Novo is suspended following his stupid dismissal against Hibs in the Scottish Cup, while Steven Naismith is cup-tied. On top of those, Jean Claude Darcheville will do well to make the bench given his continued hamstring problems.

Thankfully the rest of the team gives Smith much better problems to deal with, the main one being who to leave out of his starting XI. The back four will probably remain unchanged from Bremen and its remained fairly constant for the last while now. Davie Weir and Carlos Cuellar will continue their partnership in the centre of defence, with Sasa Papac at LB and Kirk Broadfoot at RB. While neither Papac or Broadfoot are natural full backs, both have filled in admirably this season, with Papac in particular looking very impressive at times. Broadfoot meanwhile seems to be improving in every game and is making the most of the opportunity to show what he can do, although there's no doubt he looks like he could do even better in his preferred centre back position.

Special mention must go to Alan McGregor who is another homegrown player who has had to work hard to win over sections of the support. This season he's gone from strength to strength and put in arguably his best performance for us against Bremen. Goalkeepers tend to improve with experience, so the only way is up for McGregor now and its also great for the team that we have a settled goalkeeper who has age on his side, so we can hopefully build our defence for the next 5 years around him.

Smith will probably stick with his much maligned 4-5-1 formation. While it can be seen as negative on paper, he's quick to point out that it can be quite an attacking line-up when it needs to be, particularly if you play guys like Novo and Naismith out wide. However, with these two missing, it will be interesting to see who makes up the midfield 5.

Given we were on the ropes for much of the 90 minutes in Germany, Smith might choose to freshen things up in the midfield 5 and he certainly has options. But he also doesn't like to change the team un-necessarily, so don't be surprised to see the same line-up on Sunday. Barry Ferguson is a natural pick and Steve Davis has shown that he might be the perfect player to complement our captain in the middle, although he has been playing a bit further out on the right to balance the look of the team. Behind those two, Christian Dailly could retain the holding role that he's done so well since joining. Another one of Smith's signings who were maligned before playing, he's looked like exactly what you'd get when you sign a player with over 60 caps and a couple of hundred EPL games under his belt. While he looks like one of our fittest players, he might need a rest after Bremen, so maybe Kevin Thomson or Brahim Hemdani could replace him?

If Dailly does play, then Hemdani will probably slot in alongside Ferguson. While he's been preferred by Smith for European games, the fact that we've so few choices up front might mean that he starts this one. Meanwhile with Charlie Adam suspended, that leaves another space in the midfield which could be filled by any one from McCulloch, Thomson, Whittaker, Burke.... The list goes on and on, which is a far cry from our threadbare squads of the last few seasons. Walter could shuffle his pack in any number of ways to fill the midfield slots.

Which brings us to the forward line. I say line, but really its just one man. I think all Gers fans now realise that Kris Boyd just doesn't have the attributes to play up front on his own. Despite putting in some good shifts recently in that position, he's much more effective when playing with a strike partner alongside him. So that points to Smith playing Lee McCulloch up front. While he's not done much to impress in that position, he's showed that if we resist the urge to just play long balls up to him, he can bring more to the team.

So below is the team I expect to see start the game, going on recent selections. However, don't be surprised to see Walter shake things up a bit, particularly after the grueling trip to Bremen. Given that we're missing Novo and Naismith, the 4-5-1 on this occasion might be overly defensive, with less mobility from the wide players, so maybe Smith will play a more traditional 4-4-2 lineup with Boyd and McCulloch up front.

Whatever the lineup, its just great to see us back in a cup final at Hampden and gives us an early opportunity to celebrate the turnaround in our playing fortunes since Walter Smith returned to Ibrox, not to mention add another trophy to the collection.

____________________McGregor__________________

Broadfoot______Weir____________Cuellar______Papac

______________________Dailly____________________

Burke__________Ferguson_______Hemdani______Davis

____________________McCulloch___________________

5 Subs from:

Alexander

Boyd

Thomson

Hemdani

Whittaker

Buffel

Excellent preview Mike but thats one hell of a depressing team for a domestic cup final. I realise it's purely down to the injury and suspension but I hope we play a 4-4-2 with Boyd + AN Other up front (McCulloch or JCD if fit).

Good preview m8.

Adam is suspended.

I think we might go with:

_________________Dailly/Hemdani__________________

Burke_______Davis_______Ferguson______McCulloch__

___________________Boyd/JCD____________________

Or if all fit I would like to see:

____________________Thomson__________________

Burke________________Ferguson______________Davis

___________________Boyd_____JCD_______________

No point in playing the long high balls as wilkie and dods will lap that up.....

:drink:

Surely we can't go with a defensive line-up in a cup final we're expected to win? I'd be disappointed if WS goes with a 5 man midfield. If JCD is fit then him and Boyd must play. If not then I'd give Boyd and Naismith a go.

Broadfoot______Weir____________Cuellar______Whittaker

______________________Thomson____________________

Burke__________Ferguson_______Davis______McCulloch

____________________Boyd___________________

cup tied m8 :D

Fuck, someone's already told me that. I need to concentrate more!

Well Boyd and JCD up top for me. If JCD doesn't make it then stick Boyd up top himself as he's miles better than McCulloch.

Surely we can't go with a defensive line-up in a cup final we're expected to win? I'd be disappointed if WS goes with a 5 man midfield. If JCD is fit then him and Boyd must play. If not then I'd give Boyd and Naismith a go.

Where is the defensive line up ?.This is WS prefered set up,HE WONT CHANGE THIS !!!!!!,and I for one am glad,as it's a winning formula when played correctly ie; 4 3 3.