Ragers v Dundee United - League Cup Final Thread

KRIS BOYD has always divided opinion among the Rangers support but his display in yesterday's CIS Cup Final must surely have won over even his most fervent critics.

In a game that Walter Smith's side never looked likely to win at any stage the Ibrox goal machine came off the bench and proved himself a man for the big occasion.

Ihave always been a huge fan of Boyd and his worth to Rangers will never be more evident than at Hampden when he almost single-handedly won them the CIS Cup - the club's first piece of silverware for three years.

Twice in the dying minutes he was in the right place at the right time to draw the Light Blues level.

And then, while everybody around him was going to pieces, he had the bottle in the penalty shoot-out to smash home the winning spot-kick when the pressure was really on.

Yesterday's contribution took his tally for the campaign to 22 and I'm convinced he will easily break through the 30 barrier before the season reaches a conclusion.

That's an impressive strike-rate for a player who has never been a regular under Smith. I don't know why people keep underestimating him because his capacity for scoring goals is quite incredible.

Throughout the entire match it looked like Dundee United's name was on the trophy.

They led during normal time, in extra time and were also ahead in the penalty shoot-out.

But that's why you have to give so much credit to the battling qualities of a tired Rangers side who refused to throw in the towel when they were on the ropes.

It was a phenomenal effort from them and from match-winner Boyd. He never looked like missing at the death although his celebration run after scoring took me by surprise.

Idon't know if it was because he had fresher legs but he left his team-mates for dead with a blistering burst of pace as he rushed to celebrate with the Rangers fans.

This could be the defining moment of the club's season. When you are challenging on so many fronts the thought is always there that you might end up with nothing. But the monkey is now off their back and the momentum built up under Smith and Ally McCoist continues.

Yet you couldn't help but feel sorry for United and their travelling supporters because they contributed so much to a great spectacle.

Craig Levein couldn't have imagined his side would play so well in a major final and they must have felt it was going to be their day.

This was a great advert for Scottish football and the Tannadice men deserve enormous amount credit for pushing Rangers all the way.

In midfield Willo Flood and Mark Kerr ran the show although the latter will be remembered for the backpass that led to Boyd's first equaliser.

Skipper Lee Wilkie was a colossus at the heart of United's defence, making a string of brilliant blocks and last-ditch tackles as Rangers surged forward.

Wilkie has been through so much in recent years, coming back from three terrible injuries that would have ended the career of a lesser man.

Earlier in the week he was at pains to point out how much it would mean if he could deliver atrophy for cancer-stricken chairman Eddie Thompson.

Unfortunately the dream ultimately turned sour for United with Wilkie one of three players who would miss a penalty in the shoot-out.

He couldn't hold back his tears at the Final whistle as emotion got the better of him although when he looks back on the game he can be proud of the way he led his team.

But there's no doubt the day belonged to Rangers and the magnificent Boyd.

The substitute's two late goals in the dying minutes of normal and extra time provided the SPL leaders with a lifeline at crucial stages .

For good measure he slammed home the winning penalty and etched his name into the Rangers history books.

Wilkie didn't quite manage that but, while he might not think so for a while yet, he was also a winner in my eyes.

And so were all his team-mates.

When users say "big games" they mean against Celtic and in europe.

ah right just those games I never knew that and here's me thinking a cup final was a big game sorry for misinterpreting that m8 my mistake.....:rolleyes:

ah right just those games I never knew that and here's me thinking a cup final was a big game sorry for misinterpreting that m8 my mistake.....:rolleyes:

You have a big bowl of sarcasm for your breakfast this morning?

Kris Boyd should be scoring against Dundee Utd just about everytime he plays against them whether it be in a league game or a cup game. When he plays against Celtic or a decent european team he struggles. My point is that although yesterday was a cup final we were playing against a team we should be beating easy.

Away and annoy someone else with your petty sarcasm.

You have a big bowl of sarcasm for your breakfast this morning?

Kris Boyd should be scoring against Dundee Utd just about everytime he plays against them whether it be in a league game or a cup game. When he plays against Celtic or a decent european team he struggles. My point is that although yesterday was a cup final we were playing against a team we should be beating easy.

Away and annoy someone else with your petty sarcasm.

IMO winning any cup is not only a big game but a massive game no matter who it's against. posters on here have said we have won nothing in the past with the likes of boyd in the team, now we have and he did have a big say in it, he still gets slated as it's not against celtic or a european team.

How many games has boyd actually played against celtic or in europe?

The stats are not in his favour if you looked at it, so what can he do?

if he doesn't play very often in these games how will he ever score in them?

All he can do is score when he does play no matter who it's against and his goals to games ratio are probably the best in europe at present if not they are not far away.

If I am annoying you that much with my 'petty sarcasm' why waste your time replying :confused:

Well known that I'm of the same opinion as you Ian.

Play Boyd in a 442 and we are guaranteed goals, Iwould also say regardless of the opposition.

The problem in the 'big' games ie European and Celtic, is that we will never play 442 unless we are behind and chasing the game. Playing 451 is not Boyds strength although I do believe he is improving his all round game. But in playing 451, Boyd is obviously no first choice.

What is it now 65 goals in 96 appearances......why as a team do we not play to our strengths? (i understand the argument that 451 can change 20 433 and has been effective for us this season)

For me,that's what i'm saying as well,PLAY TO OUR STRENGTHS,no-one can deny his scoring ability,the problem is fitting him into the team,we play 451,but this may change next season if / when we can bring in a couple of quality players to add to our defensive play.Alas we'll just have to keep having these debates and getting nowhere with them.

Well known that I'm of the same opinion as you Ian.

Play Boyd in a 442 and we are guaranteed goals, Iwould also say regardless of the opposition.

The problem in the 'big' games ie European and Celtic, is that we will never play 442 unless we are behind and chasing the game. Playing 451 is not Boyds strength although I do believe he is improving his all round game. But in playing 451, Boyd is obviously no first choice.

What is it now 65 goals in 96 appearances......why as a team do we not play to our strengths? (i understand the argument that 451 can change 20 433 and has been effective for us this season)

Exactly. Spot on Jon and Ian.

4-5-1 Boyd is pish, 4-4-2 and he should be guaranteed a start. Walters decision to play a 4-5-1 yesterday shocking and only when Boyd came on and Smith switched it to a 4-4-2 did we play better. Why WS goes with that formation in domestic games, cup finals or not is a joke. I hope he's learned from his mistake. We played a 4-5-1 against United earlier in the season they won so he goes and plays it again against them. Stupid!