Ragers v Dundee United - League Cup Final Thread

Exactly. Spot on Jon and Ian.

4-5-1 Boyd is pish, 4-4-2 and he should be guaranteed a start. Walters decision to play a 4-5-1 yesterday shocking and only when Boyd came on and Smith switched it to a 4-4-2 did we play better. Why WS goes with that formation in domestic games, cup finals or not is a joke. I hope he's learned from his mistake. We played a 4-5-1 against United earlier in the season they won so he goes and plays it again against them. Stupid!

And that's a fair point mate,the thing with the 451 is WS obviously trust it to get the right results,I don't think he's doing it to keep anyone out of the team or through stubborness,the man is judged on results,and so far he's doing not too bad a job at that,however as I said earlier i'm sure this will change when he can change some of the personel.

And that's a fair point mate,the thing with the 451 is WS obviously trust it to get the right results,I don't think he's doing it to keep anyone out of the team or through stubborness,the man is judged on results,and so far he's doing not too bad a job at that,however as I said earlier i'm sure this will change when he can change some of the personel.

See that's the thing. The players we have at our disposal the now should be enough to see of the likes of Dundee United withg relative ease while playing a 4-4-2 formation. This 4-5-1 is nonsense!

Injuries and suspensions yesterday did play a part in the selection yesterday but there was no need for Dailly and Hemdani to both play. Drop one and put Boyd on to partner Lee 'I'm never a striker' McCulloch up front. We might've created some more chances then. Obviously JCD wasn't fully fit so having him come off the bench was the correct thing to do so that only left McCulloch and Boyd to play upfront.

See that's the thing. The players we have at our disposal the now should be enough to see of the likes of Dundee United withg relative ease while playing a 4-4-2 formation. This 4-5-1 is nonsense!

Injuries and suspensions yesterday did play a part in the selection yesterday but there was no need for Dailly and Hemdani to both play. Drop one and put Boyd on to partner Lee 'I'm never a striker' McCulloch up front. We might've created some more chances then. Obviously JCD wasn't fully fit so having him come off the bench was the correct thing to do so that only left McCulloch and Boyd to play upfront.

Aye,but i'm not against 451,because when it's played properly it's 433,so for me the system is fine, when it works,and as has already been said most top teams play this system,catch 22 for WS

To all those who are complaining about tactics, formations, players dropped etc.

Think back to when Dunfermline knocked us out of the Scottish Cup last year and how that felt.

Then criticise the guy that has won us the CIS Cup, has us in the quarter finals of the UEFA and Scottish Cups, 3 points clear in the league with a game in hand and has beaten our main rivals in every game since he took over.

There is no doubting what WS has done IMO, nothing short of incredible.

Only thing I can see to this is when the 451 is not working and we switch to 442 we immediately look better and more dangerous.

As you say it's hard to argue with the achievments so far playing with that formation. Is it playing to our strengths though?

Its not all about Boyd (as many could guess) but in the majority of SPL games especially, I would rather see us with 442 and going for it.

WS's decision at the end of the day though

4-5-1/4-3-3 had pretty much got us where we are today. It didn't work for ONE game and Walter changed formation twice and eventually to 4-4-2 - and won...

Basically he stuck with what has been working all season and changed it when it was obvious it wasn't the right formation for that game.

There's no evidence that 4-4-2 would have seen off Dundee Utd that easily; give them credit for playing exceptionally well against our very tired looking team.

If they can keep up that kind of level, them I'm sure they can finish 3rd and maybe do reasonably well in Europe - like Aberdeen did this year.

4-5-1/4-3-3 had pretty much got us where we are today. It didn't work for ONE game and Walter changed formation twice and eventually to 4-4-2 - and won...

Basically he stuck with what has been working all season and changed it when it was obvious it wasn't the right formation for that game.

There's no evidence that 4-4-2 would have seen off Dundee Utd that easily; give them credit for playing exceptionally well against our very tired looking team.

If they can keep up that kind of level, them I'm sure they can finish 3rd and maybe do reasonably well in Europe - like Aberdeen did this year.

I agree with what you are saying and I am reluctant to criticise Walter, but given the crammed schedule and the injuries and suspensions we have at the moment, 4-4-2 with Boyd starting should always have been the starting line up yesterday. If JCD wasn't fit we didn't exactly have many options so for me it was a no brainer.

What really pissed me off about the team selection yesterday was that we had 2 holding midfielders playing against DU. There was absolutely no need for that.

Take it a step further. We had 5 centre half's playing yesterday!!

Big De Vries might be a handful with his height but we didn't need five of them to cope with him :ffs: