Recently there has been much informed (but much more ill-informed) discussions regarding the short and long-term futures of both Old Firm managers. Some journalists have even gone as far as to claim that they know that Gordon Strachan will leave Celtc this summer, no matter the outcome of the SPL. Apparently, he has had enough of the baggage that associates itself with being an ââ?¬Ë?Old Firmââ?¬â?¢ manager. Funnily enough, we never hear of this baggage when a Rangers manager is ââ?¬Ë?strugglingââ?¬â?¢. Did this apparent baggage affect Alex McLeish or Paul Le Guen? Anyway, I digress. GS is in an extraordinary position as no matter how well he does (2 SPL titles, 2 domestic trophies and 2 last 16 appearances in the CL) will never be enough to appease the (growing) vocal minority (which will increase to the majority if we are to clinch the SPL title) as he isnââ?¬â?¢t termed ââ?¬Ë?Celtc Mindedââ?¬â?¢. Yip, once again that mysterious term or Celtc mindedness raises its ugly head. In this instance, I believe that the media have gotten it correct, no matter how the season ends, GS will leave Parkhead for pastures new. Liewell and his PR machine will go into overdrive and promise to deliver a ââ?¬Ë?Blue Chipââ?¬â?¢ replacement, with names from abroad being touted about, but I believe any new manager will come from much closer to home. In fact, I donââ?¬â?¢t think youââ?¬â?¢ll need to look much further than Motherwell. Mark McGee will fit most of the criteria Celtc are looking for, and most importantly to appease the fans, he is what can be termed ââ?¬Ë?Celtc Mindedââ?¬â?¢. Other names that will enter the frame and could become part of a management team are Mick McCarthy, Tony Mowbry, John Hughes and Peter Grant (see a pattern developing here!).

Our manager is in a slightly different position. Walter Smith was brought back to steady the ship, to get us back challenging for domestic honours whilst continuing to progress in Europe. So far this season, it can be argued that he as ââ?¬Ë?over achievedââ?¬â?¢. If we finish the season with say the domestic treble, or even just with the much coveted SPL trophy, Walter Smith may decide that he has delivered and might want to take a step back. However, I donââ?¬â?¢t think he can as his successor is just settling into a new job at the moment and wonââ?¬â?¢t want to ââ?¬Ë?jump shipââ?¬â?¢ just yet. Some believe that Ally McCoist is being groomed as Walter Smithââ?¬â?¢s long term replacement but I donââ?¬â?¢t think Ally will be ready in 12-18 months. In my opinion, weââ?¬â?¢ll have another manager before Ally McCoist. As I said recently, I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t rule out Craig Levin, but I believe that our next manager will be George Burley. But, as I said above, I canââ?¬â?¢t see WS moving on until the end of next season at the earliest. This may come as a disappointment to the minority of Rangers fans who for some reason believe that we arenââ?¬â?¢t improving under Walter Smith. We have won our first trophy in 3 years, are leading the SPL, have a great chance of the domestic treble and are racking up the European coefficient points like never before. WS was brought in to steady the ship ââ?¬â?? he has done far more that steady us, he has turned us around into a very efficient team that is hard to beat ââ?¬â?? but I suppose, like our friends from the east end, some of us will never be satisfied.

Cammy F - :rfc:

dont think anyones asking walter to leave, not heard anyone say that in fact. but if he stays and plays the same type of football over the next couple of seasons itl be the fans leaving the stands.

I would think that we wil see a change in the way we play next season - right now it is about grinding results out, meaning winning ugly is preferred to not winning whilst looking pretty.

WS MUST know that the team lacks flair and creativity. He had to rebuild an entire squad last summer and he did that whilst still balancing the books (almost).

He has been told that this summer he will have at least 10 mill to spend and the big difference in my opinion is that this summer's spending should require less players, meaning more available to spend per player.

Guest bluenosewishy

time for inconsidered opinion - sorry folks!!

first - winning ugly vs not winning. I cannot see the argument. the start of PLG's 6 months, we were playing some fabulous football, creating chances galore, but never quite getting the final touch required to put it in the back of the net, to put the game beyond our opponents...resulting in too many draws (on a good day), and too many defeats... Now while some may say that if we'd stuck with PLG it would've come good in the long run, how many of us would have been happy to wait that long (however long it may have been)? This season, we've been mostly winning ugly, and in most cases , fairly convincingly over the piece. Winning ugly works for me...

2 - WS vs SuperAlly. I agree with Cammy here...Ally's got a wee while yet (couple of season's at the earliest I reckon) before he's "ready" for the management position. I disagree with Cammy however in his suggestion that there will be others between the two...I think Walter will go once he's comfortable with Ally taking over directly. Yes he's still young for management, but he doesn't need to wrry about the media aspect of the game - he's got that down pat. My concerns are more to do with his tactical expertise - true, i don't think we'll ever know until he's in the hot seat but who can say how "aware" he is in this field at the moment. Also, as the perpetual joker, i'd like to see him show his balls (metaphorically speaking guys) when it comes to keeping control of a situation, of a player... We know that WS has the nuts, and the intelligence to keep a hold of a "wayward" genius like Gazza...does Ally?

3 - Complainers

At this one, I must admit, there is only one real, measured response I can come up with here "stop yer fucking whingeing!!" - we're in april right? when was the last time we were STILL IN 4 COMPETITIONS (having already won one of them) IN APRIL??? "well i'm not happy about the formation" - shut the fuck up!! "He doesn't play Gow/Webster/Bloggs" - fuck off! it's working isn't it??

Alternatively, let's moan like the eastenders. let's moan like the bunch of chip-shouldered malcontents they're oh so ready to prove themselves to be. OR we can big up our chests coz we support the mighty Glasgow Rangers, who have had a fantastic season, are still having a fantastic season, and prove to ourselves and to others with dignity that it means oh so much more to be a bluenose...

ahm done...

see y'all at the quad party guys ;)

Points 1 and 3 I agree with strongly.

On your second point I have to be honest I say I am not fully aware of the plans of Walter and Ally, although I can see the scenario of Ally contiuing to learn his trade under Walter before replacing him directly in the future. However, I would not be suprised if events were to unfold another way.

On the dark side I do think Strachan will be out 1 way or another. Its going to be tough for a new man to come in and match his record in the same time period especially Rangers are back on the map. One thing about Chessney this season is he is weakened there squad a lot with his signings. Whoever goes to them will have to spend a wee bit.

I cant believe people would actually want WS out. This season has reminded me of 1992/93 many times with the amount of games and Im probably correct in saying that was the last year we were still in 4 competitions in April. He has taken us a ridiculous distance in a short time but a minor flaw of playing "play not to lose" football - which has resulted in us being in this postion with a "never say die attitude" - has got some boo boys on his back.

Of course we all want to see better football and we will comment on some performances and strange tactical selections at times - but we are human fans who read the game well. Doesnt mean to say we would all swap our position - i wouldnt anyway.

I beleive WS will see out his 3 year deal before either handing over to Super Ally or someone else coming in. I also agree SA isnt near ready for the hot seat. We have seen in many games this season WS coming down from the stand to undo something Ally was about to do - but thats fine, its Ally learning! And its great to see WS allowing SA to take charge in games and he will correct the mistakes - its like driving lessons when your instructor has a clutch and break at his side also.

But for WS to juggle running the team mightly successfully this season and bringing Ally on at the same time is a massive feat and shows the qualities he has got.

I've already said in previous posts,i'm happy the way we are heading.WS is building a team and is way ahead of schedule,he will continue to add players and it will be easier to attract better quality players when you are successfull,i've no doubt we will keep improving.We need to have stability to succeed and in WS we have that.WATP

I think Walter will definitely stay for at least more season.

He's done the first part of his job which was to steady the ship and get us winning again. Next part will be to improve further, make us more attractive to watch and to get us back as the dominant force in the SPL.

A decent transfer budget in the summer will help - 3 quality players for around �£3million each could really start to better our team.