I don't think Walter Smith left a successful spell in the Scotland job to come to Rangers, to do a quick fix and leave.

Where can he go from here except retire? He won't get the Scotland job back and he's already done the EPL with a lower end team. His reputation wasn't exactly enhanced in England with his difficult spell at Everton and so even with more success with Rangers, I can't see him in demand.

He could go abroad but it would be with the likes of a Russian team that would be interested - and I can't see him up sticks at his age for such a culture shock.

He left Scotland abruptly, telling of how he couldn't turn down his dream job, and now that he's got it and doing so well with it, I can't see him giving it up.

I think he'll finish his contract and then sign for another 3.5 years. He's a friend of Sir Alex and has seen him build a dynasty at Man U and looks likely to win the Prem again and have a decent shot of the CL. That shows that age is no barrier and you can keep on managing while you still have the appetite and the nous to win things.

I may be completely wrong but he looks too relaxed and contented at Ibrox - the job fits him like a glove - or a comfy cardigan and pair of slippers...

All he has to look forward to is a place on the board - and he already found managing Scotland lacking in day to day stimulation.

I think he'll stick around for another five years and so leave the job when he's turned 65. By that time McCoist should be well groomed to take over.

WS is going to go down as a huge legend and solid figure at the club. In 30 years or so I think he will be up there as high as Struth for what he did in era one alone.

No exaggeration, but when us lot are telling our grand children about The Rangers that we recall we will look back at WS.

I sometimes wonder if Ally isn't the automatic replacement for Walter. Perhaps it could be Durrant?

I like the idea of the likes of Ally and Durrant being at the club,ex players,but right now I can't see Ally being manager,maybe in the future !!!

I sometimes wonder if Ally isn't the automatic replacement for Walter. Perhaps it could be Durrant?

Aye, I'm the same. Just can't see Ally is a manager - although he is doing a decent job.

Durrant seems to sit next to Walter in the Director's Box a lot so perhaps he's the one seen as the long term answer. McDowall also has a great record at Celtic so perhaps he could make the step up given he left Celtic to come to us?

Can't say either of them fill me with great excitement but PLG did and see where that got us... :(

I have to say both McCoist and Durrant have a good way to go. Id see Durranty as a more scary figure and having an assistant like John Brown next to him would get a lot out of players.

But its not all about firing players up, they need to be tactically aware.

PLG just didnt work out for other reasons as much as anything else.

Michael Laudrup would be superb in the next few years but he is going to get snapped up soon enough.

Guest bluenosewishy

i expect that last night's performance only re-inforces the opinion of the boo boys at ibrox, and the mutterings of anti-football. cawks!!!

i would prefer to see Ally manage a smaller team before taking over at Ibrox. I would say give him another two seasons under Watty and then get him a job at a team like Clyde or that level.

I would be happy(prefer) to see Burley or leveign taking over when Walter decides to leave.

i would prefer to see Ally manage a smaller team before taking over at Ibrox. I would say give him another two seasons under Watty and then get him a job at a team like Clyde or that level.

I would be happy(prefer) to see Burley or leveign taking over when Walter decides to leave.

levein has done well but good enough for us I don't know, Burley not for me at all..........