Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

I think Velicka will prove to be a good bit of business. He scored a lot of goals for a mediocre Hearts team in the SPL and should get a lot more chance created for him at Ibrox

Is he good at head-flicking on high punts?

Looks like Velicka will sign this week, he has been given permission to talk. But i thought he couldnt sign for us due to already playing for 2 teams.

Anyway, we are going to have quite a few strikers with Miller, Velicka, Darcheville, Boyd, Novo and McCulloch able to play there. I think Smith may be playing this safe by signing strikers first then moving on a few - I can see Boyd going to raise a few million.

Rangers poised to make third signing

By Danny Stewart

WALTER SMITH is ready to make it a hat-trick of summer signings.

His latest target is a surprise seven-figure move for Dundee United�s Morgaro Gomis.

The Rangers boss landed his first target when Kenny Millerâ��s �£1.9 million transfer from Derby County was concluded on Friday.

His second will be tied up in the next 48 hours, with ex-Hearts striker Andrius Velicka jetting in for the medical that will complete his �£1.5 million switch from Viking Stavanger.

The 29-year-old Lithuanian has made his desire to join Rangers public, and has been given the green light to go by the Norwegian outfit.

Great

Following those successes, Smith has now turned his sights back to Scotland and to Tannadice, in particular.

Gomis put in great displays against Rangers in both the CIS Cup Final, which United lost on penalties, and in the 3-3 draw the clubs fought out in the SPL at Tannadice a couple of weeks later.

Only 22-years-old, the Frenchman compared favourably against more illustrious opponents such as Barry Ferguson and, in the CIS Final, Kevin Thomson.

That was no surprise for Tangerines boss Craig Levein, who has been thrilled at the progress his player has made with the club since making the step up from Cowdenbeath.

Originally handed an 18-month contract after a successful two-week trial, Gomis was given a new, more lucrative deal last September.

Future

It runs to 2010, a term reflecting Levein�s view the former Chelsea youth player is one for the future.

But, with the Tayside club having picked him up for nothing, the chance to make a profit of around �£1 million on the player would be hard to resist.

Given his impressive record of finding talent in Scotland�s lower leagues � Craig Conway, Danny Grainger and Danny Swanson are other examples � the United boss may also be persuaded that some of the cash could be used to try to bring in targets of his own, such as Willo Flood.

Flood starred on loan for United last season playing alongside Gomis in central midfield.

Since then, though, he has returned to Cardiff City, who are asking for upwards of �£200,000 to let him leave on a more permanent deal.

Also on Rangersâ�� radar, meanwhile, is Sporting Lisbonâ��s �£1.75 million-rated striker Milan Purovic.

The Light Blues have fierce competition for his signing with clubs including Stuttgart, Fenerbache, Besiktas, Borussia Moenchengladbach and Schalke all also showing interest in the 23-year-old Montenegrin.

I can't comment much on the guy as i don't know much about him. The one thing that worries me is that it is another case of signing a player that played good against us. That is an old saying running back the sixties, we only buy players because they played good against us. Another case of Walter staying within his comfort zone as well.

canny be we don't buy them.;)

True, plus Im also wondering what our midfield is going to look like next. This signing puts Furman down 1 in the pecking order.

Ferguson is banker starter and Id say Thomson is also. If Davis signs I can see him playing aswell but on the right.

Well looking at the Gow signing our midfield will be :

Davis----------Thomson----------Adam

--------------Fergie-------------

Gribz

Jonc

CammyF

Frankie

Jeffery

Gomis-----OH yes here he is.

Stewarty

Pete