Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

I think me and Pete will agree with you on that for starters, we have said this for maybe 2 seasons.

The problem is his position - where do you play him. we all know if he turns it on he will run the show but we cant play him just in hope of him playing well. I agree his best position now is further back infront of the defence and he and Thomson should be fighting for this slot.

Also, he is Mr No Blame, auto pick, captain.......Too much responsibility.

i'm not having a go at WS here but IMO a stronger manager would drop/rest him or at least take him off when he's not playing well. Obviously PLG didn't take to him or his ways and I'm sure the likes of Souness and others would be the same. IMO we need better than what BF is offering us these days.

If we are playing a 4 man midfield then I'm not sure that we can afford Thomson. That is why it's a shame that we lost out on Brown. An on-form Brown beside Ferguson would be outstanding, and Brown (famliy problems not withstanding) would have been a ar better playter for us than for them.

If we are playing a 4 man midfield then I'm not sure that we can afford Thomson. That is why it's a shame that we lost out on Brown. An on-form Brown beside Ferguson would be outstanding, and Brown (famliy problems not withstanding) would have been a ar better playter for us than for them.

I actually would have liked to have Seen Brown and Thomson playing together for us in the engine room.

For me, BF is turning into an enigma - you know what you COULD get out of him and it is brilliance, but you often DON'T get it. Thomson was far more consistent than BF last season - so IMO I think it is BF you almost can't afford in a 4 man midfield.

I do agree though that Brown would have been a better player for us.

I actually would have liked to have Seen Brown and Thomson playing together for us in the engine room.

For me, BF is turning into an enigma - you know what you COULD get out of him and it is brilliance, but you often DON'T get it. Thomson was far more consistent than BF last season - so IMO I think it is BF you almost can't afford in a 4 man midfield.

I do agree though that Brown would have been a better player for us.

I strongly believe that we have a player similar to brown in Steve Davis. I was totally against buying him to see him being wasted on the right side.

At the end of this season i said i would happily see Fergie sit out to have a KT and Davis partnership in the middle.

Never gonna happen though!!

I've always wondered why Ferguson could not drop deep with Thomson and play beside him in the 4-2-3-1 formation instead of Hemdani or Dailly. That would leave his usual position vacant for Davis.

Barry is supposed to play the more advanced role but rarely does. I think he played the holding role with Blackburn and has basically lost his ability or habit of playing further up the park meaning there is a big hole where he should be - in attack and defence.

In a 4-4-2, as he seems undroppable, I think it would be better to try dropping Thomson and play Barry as the holding player and Davis as the play-maker - something that Barry is no longer good at.

In a 4-4-2, as he seems undroppable, I think it would be better to try dropping Thomson and play Barry as the holding player and Davis as the play-maker - something that Barry is no longer good at.

Good call. Fergie is more creative than Thomson and a davis fergie partnership could be excellent, but I can't see Smith going with it on a regular basis.

I've always wondered why Ferguson could not drop deep with Thomson and play beside him in the 4-2-3-1 formation instead of Hemdani or Dailly. That would leave his usual position vacant for Davis.

Barry is supposed to play the more advanced role but rarely does. I think he played the holding role with Blackburn and has basically lost his ability or habit of playing further up the park meaning there is a big hole where he should be - in attack and defence.

Good call that. 4-2-3-1 Fergie and Thomson sitting, Davis in front flanked by Beasley and Novo and up front.. well. Names anyone?

Do we really need two players sitting, particularly in the SPL? Assuming everyone else around him plays to their ability, I'd have thought Thomson on his own would be more than capable of holding the midfield.

I know what you're all saying though as Barry does want to come deep the whole time, but I just think if we go with that system, we're almost wasting a midfield berth. I really think its time to change the balance of our midfield and start from scratch in terms of ideas & lineup.

I have no idea how we will shape up next season, I just hope WS decides on his strongest 11 sooner rather than later.

Dreading playing another season in the SPL with only 1 up front, we have togo 442 and start murdering teams !!!