Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

"Two sources tell me that Toronto FC midfielder Maurice Edu, a USA Olympic starter and an emerging national team candidate, is close to joining Glasgow Rangers. I am told the transfer fee would approach $5 million. It's not a done deal, but the sides are apparently nearing an agreement."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

We wont get Annan, AC Milan and Arsenal after him aswell.

more chance of a game here thought then move on as usual to a better league depends what he wants, if the story is true that is and we are after him..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GERS CLINCH �£3M DAVIS DEAL:

Rangers will end the longest transfer saga of the summer this weekend by signing Fulham midfielder Steven Davis for �£3 million.

The Northern Ireland skipper was a massive hit at Ibrox during his loan spell last season.

Then he spent the summer in limbo as the clubs haggled over a price to make the move permanent.

But last night boss Walter Smith, whose transfer kitty was bolstered by the �£7.8m sale of Carlos Cuellar to Aston Villa in midweek, finally got his man as Fulham agreed to sell and Davis was close to agreeing personal terms.

The deal is unlikely to be done before Rangers face Hearts at Ibrox today but Davis will be Smith's third signing in a week by tomorrow night at the latest.

The club unveiled �£3m Portsmouth midfielder Pedro Mendes yesterday, hot on the heels of signing Valencia's highly rated attacking midfielder Aaron Niguez on Thursday.

Davis' arrival may mean Smith putting on the back burner his interest in Palrmo's Australian internationalist Mark Bresciano.

But the Ibrox manager will push ahead with moves to bring American midfielder Maurice Edu to Rangers.

The 22 year old has just finished representing the USA at the Olympics and Rangers are trying to obtain a work permit for the player.

Edu was recommended by them from their former striker Maurice Johnston, now his manager at Toronto Blizzard in the MLS.

Smith said: "We asked Mo if he thought there were any players in American league he thought would do well over here and he recommended Edu."

"The MLS, who own all of their players, are happy for him to come to Scotland."

"We're in the final stages of tying things up, but we still have to put in for the work permit."

"He's only 22 and we'll continue to look at him."

Meanwhile, Andy Webster will soon be on his way out of Rangers in a loan deal.

The injury hit defender now needs games and Smith's looking for a suitable deal.

He said: "Andy has been out of the game for two years and he needs to play again."

"Motherwell are interested in him but nobody has done anymore than talk to his agent."

"If they can come to an agreement, and the player is happy to go there, there is no reason why he shouldnt."

Having signed Mendes, who to me is more of a CM I am not sure that spending 3 mill on Davis is the answer.

We will have Mendes, Thomson and Ferguson fighting for the midfield places (assuming a 4-4-2). Will Davis still be fighting for a CM place or is he being bought to play RM - if he is being bought to play RM I woulde prefer we got Bresciano (although there is an age difference....).

Regardless, these signings do bode well for the season.

Bresciano has knocked us back I suspect.Don't fancy Davis for RM though. Still, things are indeed looking up. Centre Half now the priority.

Bresciano didn't knock us back. Palermo haven't replied to Rangers offer yet. If the Davis deal goes through, it'll be off. Its either or, not both