I think with Boyd it's obvious that he is neither great nor is he gash. The truth is somewhere in between which causes split opinions.

He's obvously good enough to play for Rangers otherwise he wouldn't get a game and wouldn't be the top scorer.

It seems though, that he's only just good enough - which is why he only plays half the games.

Scoring goals is what the game is about but that counts for the opposition too. The trouble with Boyd is that unless he scores two or three - which is rare, then his presence in the team means that the opposition have more chance to score - not only that but others in the Rangers team are less likely to score.

If Boyd would put in a shift like Nacho Novo and hold the ball up and turn and run with it like Darcheville, then there would be no arguments about his talent and he could go on to become a legend.

In fact what we're really looking for is a player with the shooting skills of Boyd, the tenacity and defending of Novo and the ability to hold up the ball and do something with it of Darcheville.

The thing is that Novo and Darche have more shooting skills than Boyd has of their skills, and that's why he's down the pecking order.

It's like football manager games when the players have a mark out of 10 for about 10 skills. Boyd get's 10 for shooting but pretty much one's and two's elsewhere.

Darcheville and Novo get about 6 or 5 for shooting but have very good levels in the rest of the repertoire.

It's like football manager games when the players have a mark out of 10 for about 10 skills. Boyd get's 10 for shooting but pretty much one's and two's elsewhere.

Hilarious!! But so true. He gets a 10 for one thing but is on 2 and 3 for the rest.

How you working that out?? :fish:

Gerd Muller and Kris Boyd LMAO

Just making the point that what greater contribution can you make to a team than scoring goals? Not really making a valid comparison. And Boyd always has a go, he's never put off when he misses (just like Super Ally). And just like you- out of all your 17,000 posts, not all were on target, were they?

Just making the point that what greater contribution can you make to a team than scoring goals? Not really making a valid comparison. And Boyd always has a go, he's never put off when he misses (just like Super Ally). And just like you- out of all your 17,000 posts, not all were on target, were they?

Id say 16,984 are bang on :cheers: :thup:

Regardless of whether he has as many fluffs as he has goals, the lad obviously knows where to be and when to be there. He gets into the proper position at the proper time and that is a difficult thing to teach.

With the proper partner up front he will score a shed load of goals for us. And that is, for me, where the debate is at its best.

If WS is going to persist in a 4-5-1 next season then he, quite simply, should sell Boyd. Boyd is not effective in a 4-5-1 and he hasn't shown this season that he can 1) play in that lone striker position or 2) improve to be able to do so.

However, if we go to a 4-4-2 then I think with the proper player beside him then he could be the difference between us winning the league and not.

He is being slated as being pish/gash/useless but the simple truth is that he has scored 70 goals for our club in 2.5 seasons and you know what the even more impressive statistic is ? He has done it in a pretty poor Rangers team and one which we all agree is badly lacking in creativity and chance creation.

The mind boggles as to how many this lad could score if he played with a team that was strong on creativity and 2) he was a but more professional in dealing with his own body and fitness.

Too drunk to post my actual response, but in answer to one point in the original post;

Who here would take Luca Toni at Ibrox (if it was a realistic option)?

I ask because he is possibly the worst striker at the Euro's. One stat read 12 shots with 0 goals, more than any other player.

How many chances did Super miss, or Robbie Fowler in his prime, or any other class poacher you care to name. The truth is that the number of "chances" Boyd "misses" is nowhere near as high as his detractors would like to suggest. Because Boyd is such a potent goalcscorer, many fans including his supporters consider what would normally not be considered a "chance" to be a "sitter" when it's Boyd. In this instance he is a cvictime of his own success. Of course he missess chances. But when it comes to the crunch, the only Ger I want on the end of a decetn opportunity is Special K.

Ps. Read Craig's post above. If it's as correct as I believe it to be i'm gonna cry and start watching rugby instead. :(

I can remember the flack that ally mccoist used to take in his earlier days and it was far worse than he critisism that boyd gets now. But he came through it to become a Rangers legend. boyds goals per game ratio is far far superior to mccoists and hes only 24.

mccoists game play at 24 was evey bit as bad as boyds. all he could do was score goals. jock Wallace knew it and souness recognized it when he took over. And we reaped the benifits for their faith in him.

just hope walter does the same with boyd.

Again, have to say I agree 100% with the above 2 posts re other players misses compared to Boyd's and the comparisons between Boyd and McCoist at the same age. Ally certainly never got 70 goals in 105 appearances for us when starting his career with us.

Exclusive: Walter Smith tells Kris Boyd that he's major part of Rangers' plans

Jun 22 2008 Exclusive By Mark Guidi And Scott Mcdermott

WALTER SMITH has told Kris Boyd he wants him to stay at Rangers - and guaranteed the striker a major role in his new-look side.

Boyd is being chased by Championship outfit Cardiff who are expected to increase the s2.5million offer they had rejected on Friday night.

The Scotland star does not want to leave Ibrox despite the arrival of three new hitmen and feels he can help Gers win the SPL and make an impact in the Champions League next season.

Boss Smith shares that view and held a heart-to-heart with the player to assure him he will be a key man. The Gers gaffer knows Boyd guarantees at least 25 goals a season and won't authorise his sale.

A source close to Boyd told MailSport: "Kris thought he may have to leave but has been assured he is in the manager's plans and is delighted because quitting Rangers is the last thing he wants.

"Kris can now focus on helping Rangers and improving his own game.

"The past few days have been unsettling but he now knows the situation and is happy the gaffer wants him."

It is more likely Daniel Cousin will be offloaded for around s2.5million and Jean-Claude Darcheville may also be heading for the exit.

Rangers have spent more than s6m in the past week to land Kenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty.

But rather than being surplus to requirements, Boyd will be given the chance to partner Miller up front, particularly in home games.

Darcheville's future is now in real doubt yet he insists he'll still be at Ibrox next term to fight for a starting slot.

The Frenchman said: "The fact Rangers have signed three strikers doesn't worry me - it excites me.

"If we can strengthen all positions we'll have a strong squad and at a big club you need competition for places.

"I love Rangers and am settled here. I don't want to leave."

Meanwhile, Gers have snubbed three SPL clubs who want Alan Gow - despite trying to flog him to Burnley as part of the Lafferty deal.

Dundee United, Motherwell and Aberdeen have all made enquiries but Ibrox chiefs would rather sell the 25-year-old to England.

Gow will return for preseason training on Thursday but his future lies away from Ibrox and several Championship clubs could move in.