Well top players tend to score in top games. Kenny Deuchar scored about 45 goals in the lower leagues per year but couldnt do it at top level!! Boyd bangs in goals against lower SPL teams and when he did ever feature in bigger games he is out of his depth at that level.

Simple conclusion is he is fine for coming off the bench in SPL games and will get us goals but for Rangers first choice striker in important games we need a better player - this is also because we played 1 man upfront last season and he cant play that role.

so every team apart from celtic are lower league teams?

last season he scored against :

Motherwell - 3rd - 3 goals for boyd

Aberdeen - 4th - 2 goals

Dundee Utd - 5th - 3 goals

Against Hibs Boyd only started once and had only a few mins as a sub in the other 3 and didn't play in the other 2.

He also never had any minutes against celtic so how can he score against them?

He did however get 6 minutes against lyon in the last CL game but didn't score. he never got any other minutes in the CL group, mainly down to WS tactics no doubt but again how can he score if not given the chance?

if you looked at his stats he has not been given a much exposure against celtic or in europe so i don't know how you can slag him off for not scoring against them.....

:confused:

Yea

His all-round game is poor but if he has a Kenny Miller type beside him to do the donkey work then he will score a load of goals against the SPL teams and it is the SPL that is most important to us. .

Well yeah that may be ok. Ive always said we cant play Boyd because of the system. If he is in a 4-4-2 where he can be a poacher and nothing else then thats when we can accomodate him.

I think it depends on the support from midfield in the 4-5-1 as to whether Boyd can play the role. For instance when we're playing 4 centre backs and only 1 player from midfield is supporting the striker (or supposed to be at least) then that definitely doesn't suit Boyd. If however the line-up was more attack minded (switching between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 on the counter) I think it would work. Of course this probably depends on the level of the opposition.

I think the thing that REALLY doesn't suit Boyd is all the hoofing the ball up the park from defence. THAT definitely doesn't suit his game at all.

So, I really really hope that we can play the long ball less next year and concentrate on playing out of defence. However, the amount of times we've given the ball away in terrible positions, while trying to do that is cringe-worthy.

I think the thing that REALLY doesn't suit Boyd is all the hoofing the ball up the park from defence. THAT definitely doesn't suit his game at all.

Agreed. The long-ball tactics are very frustrating. The distribution from defence needs some improvement. What's the point in having most of the midfield sat in defence when they just get in one anothers way and hoof it up the park?. It's too predictable and only makes it easy for the oppostion to retain possession. I don't think the formation is at fault. It's just the players don't stick to their task and make it difficult for themselves a lot of the time.

What Boyd lacks is the ability to control the ball, keep hold of it, buy some time, gain free-kicks, pace to get in behind defenders, the ability to turn and shoot (and score) from angles and outside the box. He lacks the ability to defend from the front, he can't hunt down defenders forcing them into errors, he can't remain onside when playing the lone strikers role, he can't jump and gain the ball without conceeding free kicks and he doesn't have the fitness to chase back. Apart from that, he's got all that it takes to make the grade.

Cammy F

What Boyd lacks is the ability to control the ball, keep hold of it, buy some time, gain free-kicks, pace to get in behind defenders, the ability to turn and shoot (and score) from angles and outside the box. He lacks the ability to defend from the front, he can't hunt down defenders forcing them into errors, he can't remain onside when playing the lone strikers role, he can't jump and gain the ball without conceeding free kicks and he doesn't have the fitness to chase back. Apart from that, he's got all that it takes to make the grade.

Cammy F

I agree fully Cammy but unfortunately some people are blinded by 25 goals they don't realise a forward who loses the ball is just as dangerous as a duff defender