So how did we manage to attract and keep (better) players like Mols, Wallace, Prso, Hateley, McCoist, et al.......

Cammy F

some were when scottish football was ok, we had a big name manager in dick and loads of money then, some wanted a change i suppose but i can't see us getting top quality players unless we break the bank and we all know SDM won't do that now or we can't afford the wages that they can get down south. you might be lucky and get someone but it's much harder than ever IMO........

When was the last really big name player we bought?

Those days seem gone, the EPL is always going to be a more attractive option. Prso was probably the last big player we got from the ones you mentioned and he was unique and also nearing the end of his career. The rest, you going back near 10 years arent you?

When was the last really big name player we bought?

Those days seem gone, the EPL is always going to be a more attractive option. Prso was probably the last big player we got from the ones you mentioned and he was unique and also nearing the end of his career. The rest, you going back near 10 years arent you?

IMO, if he remained injury free, Mols would still have been a Rangers player to this day. Wallace was signed on a FREE transfer, hardly a big name before he signed for us, what a piece of business by DA (I admit that I wasn't too chuffed when he signed). Hateley cost �£1.5M - hardly an earth shattering amount for a player who had played in Italy and France.

Recently, Blackburn have picked up 2 brilliant strikers for less than �£8M pounds - Benni McCarthy was bought for �£2M pounds.

You don't need to break the bank for a great player - how much did Brian Laudrup cost? Gazza only cost us �£4M - thats only �£1M more that Lafferty has cost us and the same we are going to buy Davis for......

So why can't we replicate these signings? Why can't we find the next Dado Prso, they are out there but Rangers don't have the foresight or the ambition to get these type of deals.

Oh and how much did Carlos cost us (I know he's not a striker but was unheard of and unheralded before this season)?

A great player doesn't need to be a 'big name player'. In saying that, Ronald De Boer was for me, the last world class player that we signed. He's never been replaced.

Cammy F

Cant disagree with any of that Cammy, unfortunately we are not seeming to find these types of players, havent for a while.

I agree totally with you about Mols, if it wasnt for that wanker Khan, he would have been a legend!

The price for the players you quoted though, that was a fair while ago and the market has completely changed.

Blackburn did well, especially with McCarthy, but what are his wages? And they also have the added attraction of playing in perhaps the best league in the world.

most free transfers and good players would rather play in the EPL and some are just greedy and can get �£80k at the likes of pompy than �£20k-�£30k tops up here. we needs scouts to find these players, do we have any !!!

I would say it is not greed that makes them go to the EPL, it is simply a better league. Also if anyone was given the chance to work in there profession in England for a 400% payrise, better bonus', better working conditions (including weather) and a better chance of getting promoted (wage rise) they would take it, and if they say wouldn't then they are talking through Roy Orbison tinted glasses.

I dont see what Boyd has done wrong tbh Maybe Im blinkered but I honestly cant see what more you can do than score goals.

I dont know the solution, I wish I did. Id like us to be hard to beat and ALSO play some nice attacking football when we are going forward.

There lies the problem Jon on why we will never agree on this subject. You only see 25 goals for Boyd. You do not see the other part to his game. Maybe he could have gave 40 assists if he could control a ball.

There lies the problem Jon on why we will never agree on this subject. You only see 25 goals for Boyd. You do not see the other part to his game. Maybe he could have gave 40 assists if he could control a ball.

Thats just wrong Pete.

Who else has looked like scoring a bucket load of goals for us?

As much as we all love JCD, 90 minutes once a season is not good enough. He also misses more than his fair share of chances. The difference between the two, well Boyd may miss a good few, but he scores a hell of a lot more than anyone else.

Name another player this season who has given 40 assists? Does he exist in our squad? I must be missing something.

Cousin I think is probably the most technically and gifted striker we have, BUT how can you criticise Boyd and not Cousin for being disinterested, not fit......OH, and not scoring anywhere near theamount of goals Boyd does.

Im not really bothered about having to agree with everyone all the time, we all have our opinions and points of view. It just so happens with the Boyd dillema that you and a few others disagree, and myself and a few others can look past all the shite claims and see we have a striker we need to keep and who will always, always, score goals for us!

Thats just wrong Pete.

Who else has looked like scoring a bucket load of goals for us?

As much as we all love JCD, 90 minutes once a season is not good enough. He also misses more than his fair share of chances. The difference between the two, well Boyd may miss a good few, but he scores a hell of a lot more than anyone else.

Name another player this season who has given 40 assists? Does he exist in our squad? I must be missing something.

Cousin I think is probably the most technically and gifted striker we have, BUT how can you criticise Boyd and not Cousin for being disinterested, not fit......OH, and not scoring anywhere near theamount of goals Boyd does.

Im not really bothered about having to agree with everyone all the time, we all have our opinions and points of view. It just so happens with the Boyd dillema that you and a few others disagree, and myself and a few others can look past all the shite claims and see we have a striker we need to keep and who will always, always, score goals for us!

That is the whole thing though Jon you can't see past the goals. Lets put all our 11 players on the opposition goal line and they can all score 25 goals. I don't think we will ever agree on this one. I just hope we can get a striker who may score a few less goals than Boyd but can link up the play better.

Wayne Rooney doesn't score 25 goals so i guess that makes Boyd better than him.

You havent answered anything at all to the points that I covered Im afraid!

Towards the end of last season, boyd was getting the flick ons and upped his workrate. We have enough strikers on our books, now the thing to do is get a few midfielders in or utilise what we have and play to our strengths. Being hard to beat just isnt good enough for me!