ALAN GOW'S agent today revealed the reasons behind the 25-year-old's decision to sit tight at Ibrox and knock back a move to Burnley and the chance to re-launch his career in the Championship.

The former Falkirk and Airdrie midfield ace had been valued as a �£500,000 makeweight in the deal to bring Northern Ireland international Kyle Lafferty to Ibrox that could eventually reach �£4million.

However, agent Phil McTaggart says Gow still has the belief he can come in from the cold and nail down a first-team place at Ibrox, despite only making two appearances last term.

McTaggart said: "Alan has never wanted to leave Rangers and, all along, he has been determined to report back for pre-season and do everything he can to force his way back into the first-team picture.

"Alan supported Rangers as a kid and it has taken him his whole career to get to Ibrox and he never wanted to walk away without giving it another shot.

"Alan was flattered by the interest shown in him by Burnley and Owen Coyle and he had to think long and hard about remaining at Rangers.

"But Alan believes that if he had gone then he would have been left thinking what if' for the rest of his career.

"I believe that, if anything, the interest shown by Burnley and the hunger of Owen Coyle to take him to Turf Moor has given Alan's confidence a boost after what has been a very frustrating season for him.

"Now all his focus is on reporting back for pre-season at Rangers next Wednesday and showing his commitment to the cause."

However, while Gowser's projected move to the Clarets has collapsed, the versatile midfielder is now thought to have come onto the radar of Preston boss Alan Irvine.

The Deepdale boss is believed to already have made an enquiry and, with the Burnley interest apparently at an end and a �£500,000 figure apparently Rangers' valuation of Gow, Irvine may be tempted to move again for the frozen out Ibrox star.

Gow is also not short of admirers in the SPL. In January Aber-deen gaffer Jimmy Calderwood made an enquiry for the midfielder.

But the Dons boss would not break the Pittodrie side's rigid pay structure to go above �£3000 a week, a salary believed to be less than half Gow's Ibrox take home pay.

Meanwhile, Dundee United boss Craig Levein is also known to rate Gow highly and has been credited with an interest on snapping Gow up on loan.

However, while Gow is certainly not short of suitors if he fails to cut the first-team mustard at Rangers, a loan option south of the border may be the best option to satisfy his desperation for competitive action.

Ironically, Burnley enquired about taking Gow on loan back in January.

But after the Ibrox fringe man shone in the Scottish Cup demolition of East Stirling the Lancashire side had their enquiry rebuffed.

Now Gow refuses to give up hope that he can still light the blue touch paper on his boyhood dream to be make a first-team jersey his own.

I really can't understand why this guy never got a chance. In the games i seen him he done really well. Walter must really have took the hup at him for some reason.

It certainly is a bit of a mystery,the guy looks like he has what it takes to at least break into the team,and I for one would like to see him get a chance,but only Walter can answer the question why he is not getting near the first team !!!!!!

I can only remember him having a promising debut v LA Galaxy in a pre-season televised game.

Can see the same thing happening to Lafferty. Can't see him being deployed at centre forward, but is he really a left winger/midfielder? Can you imagine a pairing of Miller & Laff?

I can only remember him having a promising debut v LA Galaxy in a pre-season televised game.

Can see the same thing happening to Lafferty. Can't see him being deployed at centre forward, but is he really a left winger/midfielder? Can you imagine a pairing of Miller & Laff?

He played well against East Stirling in the SC. Only against East Stirling but we had 11 so called good players play crap against QOTS.

His two games last season were against East Fife and East Stirling, As this was my first chance to have a look at him, I kept a close watch on him. He really tried his best to impress, but to the extent that he quite often missed the easy pass or tried to beat another man instead of taking an easier option. His shooting was poor. You could tell he was giving it his all, but all too often found himself drifting out of position to go looking for the ball instead of holding his position for the good of the team.

I think Walter has called it right with the lad. He has talent, and that was why we took a chance with signing him. Unfortunately it loooks as if he is going to fall into the category of player who can look good in a wee team but struggle with the demands of a club our size.

As with all our Scottish players who are also bears, I really do wish it would happen for him, as these guys know what it means to us, and would go the extra mile when it matters.

Giving himself another 6 months to see if he can make the breakthrough is a great attitude from the lad, and I hope when he next gets a chance to show, that he cuts out the personal stuff and knuckles down as a team player, as it is clear that is what Walter is building here, and he has no room for someone he cant trust to do his job for the team.

His two games last season were against East Fife and East Stirling, As this was my first chance to have a look at him, I kept a close watch on him. He really tried his best to impress, but to the extent that he quite often missed the easy pass or tried to beat another man instead of taking an easier option. His shooting was poor. You could tell he was giving it his all, but all too often found himself drifting out of position to go looking for the ball instead of holding his position for the good of the team.

I think Walter has called it right with the lad. He has talent, and that was why we took a chance with signing him. Unfortunately it loooks as if he is going to fall into the category of player who can look good in a wee team but struggle with the demands of a club our size.

As with all our Scottish players who are also bears, I really do wish it would happen for him, as these guys know what it means to us, and would go the extra mile when it matters.

Giving himself another 6 months to see if he can make the breakthrough is a great attitude from the lad, and I hope when he next gets a chance to show, that he cuts out the personal stuff and knuckles down as a team player, as it is clear that is what Walter is building here, and he has no room for someone he cant trust to do his job for the team.

Seems a reasonable explanation/opinion. We shouldn't be in a rush to push him out the door.

Seems a reasonable explanation/opinion. We shouldn't be in a rush to push him out the door.

Agreed look at McFadden and McCormack at that age they were also billed in the same way. While on the other side of the coin you have Barry Robson who at 28 is hitting the big time. We certainly can't keep a reserve team full of players who might make it ten years down the line.

Totally agree with TannochsideBear.

From what I've seen he doesn't look any better a level than Broadfoot - who nobody feels sorry for and many give him the pelters. However Gow has got far more competition for his place than Broadfoot has had since Hutton left.

It's funny though, I'll bet the very people who slag of Broadfoot, would be the one's "feeling sorry for him" if Hutton had stayed and he never got a chance...

I can never feel sorry for a guy who has an easy life and earning 300k a year for playing football. If he really wanted to play and show what he can do to the world, he'd have gone to Burnley to kick start his career. However, that move included a pay cut which is probably a big influence on him staying.

If he goes on loan instead for a year, he won't get paid any less.

When you've got a manager who fell two wins short of what could have been your best season in your history, you have to give him a minimum of respect about who he plays.

There seems plenty of fans who suggest that in Walter's shoes they would happily for them and bafflingly for me, play a team full of fringe players instead of Smith's first choices - and all because they feel sorry for them.

I'm really glad Walter doesn't think before a match, "I better give that player that doesn't look up to it a game, as he works hard and I feel sorry for him."

There's no room for that sort of crazy sentiment at a successful club like Rangers.

Now if Walter spent 6M on a player and didn't play him then questions would be asked about why he bought him, but a freebie fringe player on a low wage? What's the problem?

I wish Gow all the best, but not at the expense of the success of my football team.