....according to Darryl Broadfoot.

In a day of frantic transfer activity, Celtic last night completed the �£3m transfer of Glenn Loovens from under Rangers' noses.

Walter Smith responded by securing the �£2.5m transfer of Pedro Mendes, the Portsmouth midfielder.

Mendes will arrive at Murray Park today to undergo a medical and his likely capture will offset the disappointment of losing Cardiff City's Dutch defender to their Old Firm rivals.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2425965.0.Celtic_snatch_Loovens_but_Mendes_is_Ibrox_bound.php

A half decent midfielder, which can only be better than McCulloch or Dailly.

�£2.5m does seem a little bit steep though. Spurs only paid Porto �£2m for him and did Portsmouth not get him on free?

Id be happy with Mendes but I still feel we need another as I cant see the new Spanish kid getting a game coz he is 19.

But having these 2 in the team would make us look far stronger. But I still get the feeling WS will drop the wrong players and try to get Adam and McCulloch in the team somehow.

Gribz, I think you're seriously under-rating this Spanish kid.

You talk about 19 as if it's 15. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, you name it.. all regulars at 19. Now I know they're a class above but it's not exactly juvenile.

Plus, I was an avid viewer of the Eurosport coverage of the Under 19 Euros last year and this kid was the standout. Give him 2 days training in front of Walter and he'll be considered for the first team. Brought on a couple of times in games then he'll be a starter.. I have no doubt about it.

And Valencia would of seeked assurances that he was going to play before sending him on loan to us. It does him nor them any favours to have him on the bench so if we had no intention of playing him, they'd of sent him somewhere else.

He'll play.

Gribz, I think you're seriously under-rating this Spanish kid.

You talk about 19 as if it's 15. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, you name it.. all regulars at 19. Now I know they're a class above but it's not exactly juvenile.

Plus, I was an avid viewer of the Eurosport coverage of the Under 19 Euros last year and this kid was the standout. Give him 2 days training in front of Walter and he'll be considered for the first team. Brought on a couple of times in games then he'll be a starter.. I have no doubt about it.

And Valencia would of seeked assurances that he was going to play before sending him on loan to us. It does him nor them any favours to have him on the bench so if we had no intention of playing him, they'd of sent him somewhere else.

He'll play.

I really hope your right. But WS' selections and formations recently have given me ZERO confidence. He sticks with his favourties too much.

Id bloody love to see this kid and Mendes play in the same midfield as Thomson and another. Im a huge fan of playing REAL midfielders so I hope so - but i can just see Adam and Co still featuring.

As much confidence as I've lost in Walter.. if he looks at the likes of Adam in training then turns around and sees Aaron.. only Stevie Wonder could play Adam ahead of him.

I refuse to believe Walter is stupid.. class shines through and the likes of Aaron and Mendes will overpower the lightweights.

Yeah heard this last night

Doesn't this midfield excite you now for Saturday ?

Novo______Mendes______Thomson_____Aaron

Instead of Dailly, Adam and Lee !

And on that note, get the Match Preview thread up... ;)