I think we could do nothing better than take Goram in on a temporary basis to coach Mcgregor. Goram knew what enjoying yourself was all about but knew how to play for Rangers first and foremost.

McGregor isnt much younger than myself so must think of Goram as highly as the fans do.

All keepers make their fair share of mistakes. Just like their teammates they're prone to the odd f**k up. Admittedly McGregor has made a few too many so far this season, but he's still our best keeper. The question should be, do the opposition see him as a weakness in our side?. Personally I doubt that.

As much as Alexander is a (more than) capable deputy and has done well for us overall when called upon, talk about him never having put a foot wrong, is way off the mark. Was anyone watching Rangers at the end of last season?.

Only thing I will disagree with in John Barr's otherwise interesting post is that we have a good alternative in Alexander. Although goalies reach their peak much later, Neil's well into his thirties and has had a, shall we say, chequered career. If we let Mac go, we'd be looking for a replacement and we've enough other priorities (left side for instance) without that.

Best thing, as Gribz says, is to get a good goalkeeping coach like Goram. Who's our coach at the moment? Is it Jim Stewart? Whoever it is has to start earning his corn.

Anyway, with his off-field image, who is going to pay big money? We'd be lucky to get a couple of millions, and that's not enough in my book to jettison a keeper whose best years are still ahead of him.

Edited by alexscottislegend

I love the Goalie to bits but the worst thing that Rangers could do is let him anywhere near McGregor.

Disagree, I dont care what McGregor does off the park in the same way Goram did, but as long as he gets his head sorted out for playing for Rangers is what i care about - And Goram was a jack the lad but 110% committed and put performances first. Im sure he would blend the 2 in fine.

Disagree, I dont care what McGregor does off the park in the same way Goram did, but as long as he gets his head sorted out for playing for Rangers is what i care about - And Goram was a jack the lad but 110% committed and put performances first. Im sure he would blend the 2 in fine.

But there is the problem. Goram performed to an incredibly high standard even when being a "jack the lad". McGregor, on the other hand, seems to have went backwards since becoming "jack the lad".

I know what you are saying about not caring what happens off the park but if off the park activities negatively affect your on the park performances then we HAVE to be concerned.

Goram was a legend but I dont think he would be the guiding influence on McGregor that you seem to think he would.

I'm not sure McGregor's party-boy lifestyle will put potential suitors off too much. Football is littered with examples of players with dodgy off-field behaviour making numerous high-profile transfers. And not just the guys with exceptional ability. The ego of many managers makes them believe they can straighten the player out.

Still think on form MacGregor is our best keeper, just needs to sort out what looks like a psychological problem. Don't know if it off the field behaviour, believing his own hype, concentration issues or a combination of these and more, but he is not playing to his own high standards.

Guest carmylebear

should never have dropped alexander at the start of the season. did nothing wrong and must be wondering why he is not our no. 1. time for a.m. to spend a few months on the bench