Oh Boogie - You're a football player

Sorry but there is no place in football for poitical guestures.

Wearing a black armband to show respect for the dead is a political gesture?

I take it your view on this is consistent regardless of who has passed away and that you also disagree with poppies on shirts, minutes silences for victims of the WTC disaster, etc?

Wearing a black armband to show respect for the dead is a political gesture?

I take it your view on this is consistent regardless of who has passed away and that you also disagree with poppies on shirts, minutes silences for victims of the WTC disaster, etc?

Yes, but he wasn't threatening to wear his armband to commemorate "the dead". It was only certain deaths that suited his political agenda. I didn't read about him marking the passing of all those muslims slaughtered by fellow muslims in Palestine or elsewhere. It was clearly political and he should keep it out of football and certainly out of Rangers. The rest of the time I couldn't care less what he does.

Yes, but he wasn't threatening to wear his armband to commemorate "the dead". It was only certain deaths that suited his political agenda. I didn't read about him marking the passing of all those muslims slaughtered by fellow muslims in Palestine or elsewhere. It was clearly political and he should keep it out of football and certainly out of Rangers. The rest of the time I couldn't care less what he does.

I'm not sure I follow you. Over a thousand people have been killed in the last three weeks, including several hundred children. A tragedy by any measure. My understanding is that specific situation is what he wanted to mark.

I don't see how that is in any way more political than, say for example, showing respect the almost three thousand killed in the WTC attacks of '9/11'.

I'm not sure I follow you. Over a thousand people have been killed in the last three weeks, including several hundred children. A tragedy by any measure. My understanding is that specific situation is what he wanted to mark.

I don't see how that is in any way more political than, say for example, showing respect the almost three thousand killed in the WTC attacks of '9/11'.

....or any less political either.

Well, since the war in question is actually more part of a sick, corrupt power playing game of strategy in the middle east in general than the simple political & religious dispute we're led to believe it is, I fail to see any valid grounds for saying he should keep his political/religious views out of our club & off the park just because he wanted to wear a black armband. WAY over 1000 people have been killed there within 3 weeks under inexcusable circumstances & if he feels a sense of kinship & grief for them I think it should be respected. People all around the world are getting sick to the teeth of seeing innocent civilians being bombed in heavily populated areas like Gaza & Beirut. I think it's understandable that anyone would wish to show a public stance of grief for the needlessly lost lives.

It's also pretty farking fresh for any old firm fan to preach about leaving politics & religion out of football in this particular case.

edit - just added 'in this particular case' to the end of my last sentence to save any confusion as to what my point was.

Edited by Zappa

I cant believe the hypocritical posts here saying political and religious things should be kept out of football yet when EVERYONE on here stands up and has a minute silence for the WWI and WWII memorials and slates Celtic for having the applause. These are political issues!!

So when the eventually Queen passes away we should not have a minutes silence because its not a football matter??? Its more of a political matter then a footballing one!!

Or is it the fact that its not a british matter and we are talking about Muslims??? Disgusted by some posts if thats the case!

Nobody is asking the fans to join in with anything. Who on here has the right to judge what Bougherra can or can not believe/protest in?!!!

Im not saying political things should be involved in football but you cant have 1 rule for some things and another rule for others! If there was a minutes silence that the 50000 were asked to do then we may have a point in this discussion, but i see no problem with 1 player wanting to wear an armband round his wrist!

Edited by Gribz

I cant believe the hypocritical posts here saying political and religious things should be kept out of football yet when EVERYONE on here stands up and has a minute silence for the WWI and WWII memorials and slates Celtic for having the applause. These are political issues!!

So when the eventually Queen passes away we should not have a minutes silence because its not a football matter??? Its more of a political matter then a footballing one!!

Or is it the fact that its not a british matter and we are talking about Muslims??? Disgusted by some posts if thats the case!

Nobody is asking the fans to join in with anything. Who on here has the right to judge what Bougherra can or can not believe/protest in?!!!

Im not saying political things should be involved in football but you cant have 1 rule for some things and another rule for others! If there was a minutes silence that the 50000 were asked to do then we may have a point in this discussion, but i see no problem with 1 player wanting to wear an armband round his wrist!

Why do you suppose he didn't actually wear said armband? You've chosen to interpret this issue to suit your own view of the world. I can tell you that a lot of people I spoke to last night would have seen it as a Rangers player openly supporting a terrorist group and would have been very upset indeed. I'm not judging which view is right or wrong but it made it clear to me exactly why it was right he had been persuaded not to wear the armband.

You may be free to adopt such a simplistic and personal view of the matter but when you accept that not everyone shares that view and take into account the extreme passions involved, this was definitely a situation better avoided. Thankfully, it seems wiser counsel prevailed.

I can't agree. It may be wearing his heart on his sleeve but it's fundamentally political and has no place on the field of play.

By not allowing him to wear the armband, he is not being prevented from disclosing his views. He only plays 90 minutes most weeks, which leaves a lot of time for him to express his politics. But not in a Rangers shirt for my liking.

What would your views be if (say) Steve Davis wanted to wear a black armband every week and told the press it was to commemorate those members of the loyalist Ulster community killed by the IRA? Where's the difference?

Despite my earlier comments, I also have sympathy with this view. It's where you draw the line, and it's a bloody difficult question.

A minute's silence on armistice day, a minute's silence for 9/11, a minute's applause (:rolleyes:) for a Ukraine mining accident. All allowed, and the former two do have political inferences.

I'm not actually sure where the line should be drawn, but I still believe it's hypocritical for the SFA to say he's not allowed when they allow other political ones.