I'd be suprised if that is the case. He scores a large percentage of our goals and a few more are added by others whilst he's on the field. I just don't see it.

Is this an FF fact where something is stated once with no basis and everyone repeats it as being true? :whistle:

It's not an "FF fact" as far as I know, and I haven't bothered to check out its authenticity, so not sure if it's accurate.

I didnt want to get into it too much either but I dont mind doing so as Im happy to debate.

Your right to say others havent been part of a title winning side either. This is because we have had/still do have too much average players who cant do it over a season.

Its not true when you say I think Boyd is the core, its simply because we have more Boyd debates than any other player. If we had as much Adam debates then you would say the same that I think Adam was the core. If you read my posts from way back then i dont even blame Boyd, i blame the managers who sign and pick the players. But on a personal front Boyd should be trying to improve his game. He did so to give the middle finger to Burley but seems to have went back to his lacklusture game again.

And you have to remember Im far from alone in these thoughts. The fans are split over Boyd.

I know you blame others Gribz but when we get the Boyd debate it is one of the first things mentioned. It doesnt get mentioned about Adam & Burke et al and I suspect that is because it is much more obvious that they contributed little to the team (Adam did in his first season but we still didnt win the title).

I agree we have too many average players but that is down to SDM, Bain and whomever signs the players. And, I guess, that is part of the point. The manager has to pick the best at his disposal and, looking at our squad, Boyd is the best goalscorer at our disposal and we need a goalscorer.

I think that Boyd did indeed try to give Burley the middle finger and it was very noticeable at the outset. And yes, he also seems to have dipped a bit recently - but it also has to be said that this is not solely down to Boyd - the service from midfield has been poor for most of the season. In fact, it is quite astounding how many goals Boyd has scored already this season given the lack of creativity in our team.

I saw you mentioning how good Rod Wallace was for us and then also mentioned that he had great service - can we honestly say Boyd has had great service since he signed for us ? I think it is very debatable that he has had even good service.

Yet if Boyd doesnt score then he has had a stinker according to some fans and it is nothing to do with the creativity of others. Boyd somehow seems to get singled out when he doesnt score for not scoring yet when he does score he gets singled out because it is all he does. I find that Boyd is one of the very few players in our squad who is "damned if he does, damned if he doesnt"

Again not true, you are putting words into my mouth. Ive already stated the fixture list and McGregors injury as the 2 reasons I think we didnt win the title last season. WS's selections werent my 1st choice but he is the manager.

And i dont think its JUST AS EASY to say Boyd may have scored the winner had he been playing. We witnessed McGregor in outstanding form, yet we didnt witness Boyd being capable of getting a winner - its 2 different things, 1 is pretty much likely while the other is a guess. But you are certainly allowed to think that in the same way I dont think he would have. But you wont see me trying to tell you to get over any theory that you may be right.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Sure McGregor was playing well last season but you are still GUESSING that he would have stopped one of Celtic's goals. That makes it just as easy to GUESS that Boyd would have got an equalising goal. You have a keeper playing very very well and you have a guy who was scoring very consistently - so it could be argued that by not playing Boyd it was as critical to our title chances as McGregor's injury. Would McGregor have saved a goal ? We dont know. Would Boyd have scored ? We dont know. I fail to see how one is "pretty much likely" whilst the other is a "guess" - the reality is BOTH are guesses. But you are using one to support your argument - I am trying to be even-handed in that both had a chance of being right.

I was maybe a bit harsh in my "get over your theory" statement but I stand by the point I made. I dont think that people would have been proclaiming Boyd as a hero for scoring a penalty, it is something that any pro should be able to do. But, again, you are guessing as am I.

As mentioned I blame managers for not winning the title. The buck stops with the manager, coaches and board for me on that!

I believe the goals can come from all over the team. I also think Boyd can still get his fair share in the team but for me he wouldnt be first pick at the moment. Again WS has to take some blame for having a host of strikers in the last 7 months and still not knowing what to do.

And this is why Boyd is not to blame for those lost league titles, because of the downsizing and financial mismanagement. Not winning league titles doesnt make you a poor player. I am sure there have been some fantastic players play this game who never won a league title, does it make them a poor player ? No, of course not. It is a TEAM game and if the management dont have the right TEAM then, unless you are Maradona, you wont win things playing beside poor players. This is a poor example, but Ryan Giggs is a fantastic player but he never played at the WC finals. Was that because he was a poor player ? No. Was he part of the reason they didnt ? Probably not. It is probably down to the players playing beside him.

Not for a minute am I putting Boyd in that class, all I am saying is that just because he hasnt won the league doesnt mean that 1) he is a poor player or 2) that it is his fault.

I agree that Boyd shouldn't necessarily be first choice (I certainly dont go with Jon in believing Boyd should always play) - if he is playing poorly he should be dropped, and I believe that for any player. In fact, Ferguson should be dropped just now as he simply isnt playing well. It is Smith's fault that certain players dont have to perform as they know they will be 1st choice.

I dont think I can agree about goals coming from all over the team either though. In looking at our strikers Novo would be our biggest goal threat aside from Boyd and he is now out for 6 weeks. Miller can score but is far too inconsistent and he, right now, deserves to be dropped more than Boyd does as he hasnt scored in 9 games and isnt playing well. Lafferty hasnt been given a chance but I think he looks quite assured if playing up front. Perhaps he should get games to see what he can do (looked decent up top on Wed night). Velicka may score goals and should perhaps get more game time but I am not convinced he should start ahead of Boyd.

The problem though is far deeper than that. The problem is who will score goals from midfield ? Ferguson plays too deep these days to be a goal threat. Mendes scores some screamers but he too doesnt get forward often enough to be a constant goal threat. Fleck has only just started playing, looks like he could be a goal threat but as yet cant be judged here. Davis is the only one who looks like being a goal threat from midfield.

And we may as well forget about our goal threat from the defence thanks to the very poor quality of set pieces from our team (this may change if Fleck plays as the boy can certainly hit quality set pieces).

Solve our lack of drive & creativity from midfield and our width and any pairing from our current strikers would score a shedload in the SPL. Been saying that for years. I think its amazing Boyd has scored as many as he has given his limitations and the fact we seem to be creating fewer (good) chances per game than we have historically done.

I've never understood the argument about how we've never won a title with Boyd, for me that just goes to show how much of a scapegoat he is.

Its the same with the one about him never scoring against the "big/better" teams ad games in the SPL. The criteria for judging what constitutes a big game or team has been changing to suit the argument depending on what he does.

He also never scores in Europe or against Celtic. Well, he needs to be playing in those games in the first instance to have a chance of scoring in them.

I'm not saying he's the answer to all our problems, I think its clear he has limitations and needs to work harder in training, but I think the criticism he gets is way OTT and get the feeling that no matter what he does, he'll always be the first to be blamed when things aren't going right for us. Which is really disappointing given he's a Bear and there's far greater problems in our team at the moment.

Ascender one point in your arguement i'd like to pick up on. In your final paragraph you state criticism he gets is OTT.

When you consider he cost �£400k and scores nearly a goal a game and yet gets more criticism than any other player. That for me is indefensible.