Rangers to sign Danny Mills...

Calm down not that Danny Mills... ;):D

We had a young striker from Crawley Town on trial last week and was wondering if anyone had anything about how successful it had been.

I know he flew back South on Friday then appeared as a sub against Chelsea Reserves for Crawley but don't know if he's coming back for another trial.

Kane Hemmings seems to have made a decent impression having come from non-league English football so it is interesting that we seem to be actively scouting these teams.

:)

Phew....the other Danny Mills used to be a decent RB and broke into the England team. But ive no idea where he is now and he is a bit of a loose cannon.

We do need Full back cover though.

I didnt see the following players ruining their careers by signing for Rangers :

Gattuso

Ferguson

Hutton

McGregor

Thomson

Whittaker

And many more.

Yes players have had lesser careers after joining Rangers, but there are plenty who have gone on to achieve some great things.

Another thing to consider is that, whilst some of your statement may have been true in the past Gav during Walter's 1st run in charge, the reality of our situation these days is that these young players WILL be given an opportunity.

We no longer have copious amounts of cash to spend on proven internationals.

So where the youngsters didn't get a chance I don't think there is any doubt that they WILL get a chance in coming seasons. You can suggest they never got their chance last season but we had 28 1st team squad members so the chances would be limited with that amount in the squad.

The management are trying to get the playing squad down to 20 and augment with youths. I don't think there is any doubt those youths will get a chance.

Smith is already talking about Fleck getting more playing time and has also mentioned Danny Wilson as well as Jamie Ness getting playing time.

To your last point about youths getting more game time, if we shrink the squad down to 20 they almost certainly will have too.

However, it's still a case of actions speak louder than words and wait and see.

Good post Craig. :thup:

Are these type of repetitive comments really necessary? Maybe we should have a Mystic Meg forum for this sort of stuff.

As necessary as your Dailly comments you mean?

Edited by Gazza_8

I didnt see the following players ruining their careers by signing for Rangers :

Gattuso

Ferguson

Hutton

McGregor

Thomson

Whittaker

And many more.

You've got to admit Craig, we seem to ruin more young players careers than see big things from them.

Whittaker and Thomson were already 1st team regulars before they joined Rangers.

You've got Furman who has played for South Africa who is looking to leave because he's overlooked. Is he good enough? Who knows.

Efrem? Again, who knows. These players were bought for the future. Obviously someone must've spotted talent in them.

Fleck? He was given a chance, played out of position then quickly dropped as he didn't do much. I'd be surprised if he gets more than 15+ games this coming season.

I'd love to see Danny Wilson given a chance this season. Weir is getting on and losing what pace he did have so I doubt he'll start every SPL game this season. No doubt that natural CB we have in McCulloch will cover for Weir.

Rory Loy is one for the future or so we've been told. I won't hold my breath.

Same goes for Jamie Ness.

Our coaching techniques really are shit.

I know we can't honestly compare us with Arsenal but when you look at the young players they have coming through we can only dream about doing the same. It can't cost much to bring in young players, train them correctly and then slowly give them some 1st team action can it?

We're doing something wrong somewhere and personally, I don't see it changing.

You've got to admit Craig, we seem to ruin more young players careers than see big things from them.

Whittaker and Thomson were already 1st team regulars before they joined Rangers.

You've got Furman who has played for South Africa who is looking to leave because he's overlooked. Is he good enough? Who knows.

Efrem? Again, who knows. These players were bought for the future. Obviously someone must've spotted talent in them.

Fleck? He was given a chance, played out of position then quickly dropped as he didn't do much. I'd be surprised if he gets more than 15+ games this coming season.

I'd love to see Danny Wilson given a chance this season. Weir is getting on and losing what pace he did have so I doubt he'll start every SPL game this season. No doubt that natural CB we have in McCulloch will cover for Weir.

Rory Loy is one for the future or so we've been told. I won't hold my breath.

Same goes for Jamie Ness.

Our coaching techniques really are shit.

I know we can't honestly compare us with Arsenal but when you look at the young players they have coming through we can only dream about doing the same. It can't cost much to bring in young players, train them correctly and then slowly give them some 1st team action can it?

We're doing something wrong somewhere and personally, I don't see it changing.

For every one Arsenal have coming thro, they have 10 that don't. Our acadamy isn't run to the scale that theres is so you can't compare.

We will always have players who have been let go who go on to have decent careers. I can't (off the top of my head) think of one player who has came thro our ranks, been released then go on to amazing things.

Hutton was sold for an amazing profit, and he hasn't set the heather on fire down south. If you remember his Rangers debut, against Partick Thistle years back, you'll remember him being woeful (subbed at half time with us losing 1-0 - we went on to scrape a 2-1 victory).

You simply can't play EVERY youth player you have at your club. You have to trust the coaching staffs judgement on these players and you'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 coimg thro at the same time.

From what I've seen, the best prospects we currently have are Aaron, Fleck, Wilson and Ness. If we are in as dire a financial state as we think we are, all four will feature this season.

I thought Furman was a decent player, but from the reports last season he blew hot and cold in the third tier of English football. Is that they type of player we are pinning our hopes on? Is he any better than say, Charlie Adam? A player with a proven track record in Scotland and the CL?

Cammy F