Summer 2010 Transfer Rumours Thread

A left back ? Aye, we REALLY need a left back to replace Papac....

Papac may not be a world beater - but in our own world of VERY limited finance we need to be focussing on other positions rather than left back.

A left back ? Aye, we REALLY need a left back to replace Papac....

We need a LB to replace Smith. We have only one now. And perhaps Walter is thinking of pairing Papac with Webster in the middle?

Papac may not be a world beater - but in our own world of VERY limited finance we need to be focussing on other positions rather than left back.

Actually, that's the only slot in the whole team we have just one player for. Unless you count Whittaker.

We need a LB to replace Smith. We have only one now. And perhaps Walter is thinking of pairing Papac with Webster in the middle?

Actually, that's the only slot in the whole team we have just one player for. Unless you count Whittaker.

I would suspect we will go with Papac, Whittaker for LB with Whittaker, Broadfoot for RB - 2 from 3 if you will. That said... perhaps if we ARE after Grosso it is indicative of Broadfoot's intent ?

I disagree - whilst we may have "options" for other positions I dont think we have even one player for LM. Lafferty has been tried and failed (not necessarily his fault), Fleck isnt a LM although can do a job there, Niasmith also isnt a LM although has been asked to do a job there.

Unless I am forgetting someone we actually dont have anyone at LM who would consider it his natural position - at least Papac IS a left back.

I would suspect Walter is thinking of pairing Weir & Bougherra.. but should Bougherra go i would think he would be looking at Weir and Webster. Again, i would have thought Papac would only be emergency CB cover, quite possibly even AFTER McCulloch.

One good thing about a few of the squad is that we do have versatility - sadly, "versatility" generally gets trotted out when you dont have good enough quality for each position on its own merits.

Guest Flying Hippo

I think it's pretty clear after 4 years that Walter doesn't see Papac as a centre half

The Grosso link will turn out to be utter pish anyway so there's no point getting into strong debate about it

Linked with Daryl Murphy of Sunderland...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2010/06/04/glasgow-rangers-interested-in-unwanted-daryl-murphy-61634-26584231/

GLASGOW Rangers are the latest club to express an interest in Sunderland’s unwanted striker Daryl Murphy.

The Republic of Ireland forward has been told to find a new club by Black Cats boss Steve Bruce and is coveted by a clutch of Championship clubs – as well as Rangers’ Old Firm rivals Celtic.

They are expected to make a �£900,000 bid as soon as Neil Lennon is confirmed as their new boss but news of their interest has alerted Scottish champions Rangers, who are looking for a replacement for the departing Kris Boyd.

Murphy’s camp are enthusiastic about the prospect of the Celtic switch but the delay in appointing Lennon, who may not now be confirmed until early next week, has opened the door for the Ibrox side to register an interest. They join Ipswich Town, Reading and Burnley among the clubs that are tracking the Waterford-born forward.

Rangers have already had a �£300,000 bid for Portsmouth striker Tommy Smith turned down, but Murphy is understood to feature on their list of wanted forwards. Although Sunderland are yet to receive a concrete offer for Murphy, it looks increasingly likely that the lightly used forward will be on his way out of the Stadium of Light before the end of the summer.

Murphy has featured for Sunderland just seven times under

Bruce – and that was largely due to the Black Cats’ injury crisis. Now, at the age of 27, he recognises that he needs to move on to progress a career that has stalled since Roy Keane’s departure.

Such is his determination to leave Wearside for regular first-team football, he is prepared to take a substantial wage cut to play for either Glasgow side

Also rumours that Durrant has been watching Honduran pair Georgie Welcome and Johnny Palacios.

Interesting names who I admit to knowing nothing about...

I'd have thought we'd make any bid (if we are actually interested) before next Friday though... ;)

Papac as first choice LB with Whittaker as first choice RB makes sense, but with Smith gone and Broadfoot appearing to be on his way, we need cover for at least the RB slot as SW can cover on the left. Unless of course we have a younger player ready to step up as cover this season.