Summer 2010 Transfer Rumours Thread

I'm not too greedy for Rangers, insists target Jose Goncalves

RANGERS target Jose Goncalves has angrily denied pricing himself out of a Bosman move to Ibrox.

The Portuguese defender is livid at reports he has demanded �£29,000 a week from Rangers, around �£18,000 after tax.

Goncalves, 24, is in the Far East on holiday, but insists he is not holding the cash-strapped SPL champs to ransom.

A friend said: "It's ridiculous to suggest Jose is looking for this type of money, crazy.

"He knows his worth but also understands the financial position of Rangers at this moment of time. The figures mentioned are well wide of the mark."

The advisors of the former Hearts defender held talks with Rangers officials late last week and will continue in the days ahead.

Goncalves will jet back from his holiday base to his home in Switzerland next week and is preparing to fly straight on to Glasgow if a deal can be struck.

The ex-FC Thun fullback has attracted interest from clubs throughout the continent and also England but has made no secret of how much he enjoys life in Scotland.

He is also rated highly by Portugal boss Carlos Queiroz and his versatility on the left side of defence is seen as an asset by Rangers, with Danny Wilson tipped to quit the club before the new season to sign for Liverpool.

Meanwhile, Kirk Broadfoot has penned a new, three-year deal to stay with Rangers .

And Record Sport, who broke the story, understand the cash-strapped Ibrox club have held on to the defender by paying better wages than newly-promoted Blackpool could afford.

The Lancashire club wanted to have Broadfoot when they debut in the Premier League next season.

But Rangers boss Walter Smith could be faced with the prospect of losing teenage starlet Wilson and Algeria's World Cup hero Madjid Bougherra during the close season.

Broadfoot went to Murray Park last night and signed the deal that keeps him at the club he supports.

Rangers have fixed him up on the kind of money that suggests he's there to be a first-team player.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/06/22/i-m-not-too-greedy-for-rangers-insists-target-jose-goncalves-86908-22350547/

I'd be quite happy to see us cash-in on Bougherra. I reckon he may be pushing the �£8-9m bracket and that would give us valuable funds to bring in 2-3 players around the �£2-�£3m bracket similar to the scenario when we sold Cuellar. I have faith that Walter can find us a new centre-half to repeat the cycel again in a couple of seasons.

Guest Flying Hippo

My preferred centre back options are Bougherra, Wilson, Webster, Goncalves. Let SDoW ride into the sunset.

However, i accept this is highly unlikely to happen and we're much more likely to end up with just Weir, Webster and a new signing

Wilson clearly wants to go and if Liverpool rate him, then Benitez leaving might not change his destination.

I'd be happy to cash in on Bougherra too. Apart from the obvious financial bonus, he seemed to pick and choose when he wanted to play last season and dished up some of the usual nonsense we get from unhappy foreigners.

Everyone I know who has watched Webster play in the SPL this season has been impressed, so I think he should start as first choice. So ideally, a new signing alongside him, with Weir acting as cover would do for me.

Wilson clearly wants to go and if Liverpool rate him, then Benitez leaving might not change his destination.

I'd be happy to cash in on Bougherra too. Apart from the obvious financial bonus, he seemed to pick and choose when he wanted to play last season and dished up some of the usual nonsense we get from unhappy foreigners.

Everyone I know who has watched Webster play in the SPL this season has been impressed, so I think he should start as first choice. So ideally, a new signing alongside him, with Weir acting as cover would do for me.

Yeah that sums up the situation for me too...

We should really get a very good fee for Bougherra now so hopefully we can repeat the JAB/Cuellar/Bougherra act of recent years.

I think we are pushing our luck to get another gem of a centre half. Plus as good as these players are its a pain in the ass knowing they are only using us as a stepping stone. We need a long term partnership at the back.

I hope we keep Bougherra for 1 more year. We've more chance winning the league with him. If he still has 2 years left id rather keep him 1 year and sell him next summer for around 4 million.

Bougherra and Webster are currently my first pick. I dont know what frame of mind Wilson will be in if he stays.

Guest Flying Hippo

I said this a few days ago; Wilson needs to be very careful as it is very possible that he could start the season as Rangers 4th choice centre half. He could end up playing very few matches this season and end up joining someone like Motherwell. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened

I said this a few days ago; Wilson needs to be very careful as it is very possible that he could start the season as Rangers 4th choice centre half. He could end up playing very few matches this season and end up joining someone like Motherwell. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened

His good form last season means he'll feature again this term (especially if Bougherra leaves) and while his perceived lack of commitment may reduce the number of games he plays, his reputation is now high enough to ensure a decent move on a Bosman.

HAMBURG are ready to offer Rangers a double-your-money deal for Madjid Bougherra.

The Bundesliga giants are poised to bid �£5.25million for the big Algerian. Senior Gers sources last night insisted they've had no bid and would knock back the offer for the 27-year-old stopper.

Bougherra - who moved from Charlton in a �£2.5m deal two years ago - has still to be convinced his future lies in Germany amid interest from the Premier League.

Speaking to SunSport from South Africa last night, Bougy said: "I'm aware of the speculation about Hamburg.

"It's only speculation right now and I will go on holiday then report back to Rangers.

"I've always said I'm happy at Rangers and any deal would have to be right for them."

SunSport revealed on Tuesday that the Ibrox hierarchy is ready to play hardball with Europe's elite on Bougy.

Arsenal gaffer Arsene Wenger has confirmed he's an admirer of the title-winning defender.

A return to England would suit Bougherra but Hamburg could now spark a summer auction for him by making a big-money offer.

New gaffer Armin Veh has �£10.5m to spend after the sale of Germany ace Jerome Boateng to Manchester City.

Club president Bernd Hoffman met with agents at Hamburg's Elysee Hotel on Wednesday to declare his interest. It's understood he would be willing to offer a four-year deal on �£25,000-a-week.

A source close to Bougherra added: "Hamburg have approached his agents and made clear their interest.

"But the club haven't spoken to Rangers and we are not sure if it's even something that will interest Madjid."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3029106/Hamburg-Boug-bid.html#ixzz0roeSBqCz

Madjid Bougherra is expected to complete a �£5.25m switch to Hamburger SV in the next day or so, according to reports in Germany.

Advisers from the Kick Unit player agency met with Bernd Hoffman, HSV’s chief executive, on Wednesday to discuss a possible move for the Ran*gers defender.

The Germans are looking for a replacement for the outgoing Jerome Boateng, who has joined Manchester City for Ã?£10m, and were thought to have been impressed with the Algerian’s performances at the World Cup finals in South Africa.

Arsenal are also thought to be admirers, but Bougherra is expected to complete a four-year deal with the Bundesliga club and could be unveiled as a Hamburg player this weekend.

Andreas Mueller, Boug*herra’s German agent, said: “Madjid is very happy with the deal and to be moving to a club like Hamburg in one of Europe’s top leagues. The deal was agreed between myself, my lawyers and Bernd Hoffmann and I believe all parties will be very happy with it.

“Of course, Madjid really enjoyed his time at Rangers and he the club will always be close to his heart. But he felt this was too good an opportunity to pass up.”

Bougherrra, who has also been linked with a move to Malaga, had been a target for Hamburg in the January window and that deal has been revived despite manager Bruno Labbadia being sacked towards the end of last season.

The Algerian signed for Rangers two years ago from Charlton Athletic for �£2.5m and would be the fifth player to leave Ibrox this summer following the departures of Nacho Novo, Kris Boyd, DaMarcus Beasley and Steven Smith.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/bougherra-on-verge-of-move-to-hamburg-1.1037061