Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

No really comparing, just pointing out that it depends on the youngsters - which you seem to agree with. If the guys we have, have any chance of making it into a Rangers first team (and plenty of people on here think we should play half a team of them) then they should be capable of doing a job against far lesser opposition.

Thing is, I don't know if we can judge them - as Durrant doesn't seem to be able to win a game as a manager...

I could be wrong anyway, but it's the impression I get.

Sorry, it wasnt clear from your previous post what you were getting at but I see it now.

That said - pre-season games against a team whose season has already started wouldnt be the time to judge Durrant in my opinion. Once our season starts and the kids have played a handful of games would be the time to judge. Even then, he still is managing kids against seasoned players - the only time to really judge him would be if he were a manager in his own right.

Again though who is to say that Durrant even wants to be manager - he may very well prefer to be in the background working with the kids - Stevie Clarke springs to mind - a guy who most clubs would entertain as manager but one who doesnt seem to want that job.

Was Durrant not managing the kids last year ? Or was it Kirkwood ? If it was Durrant them I would be quite sure he did win some games - but because we didn't have some Arsenal kid on trial those games would be largely ignored....

Usually when I get back from work I check sky text, it says that the deal is stalling and we are after Tommy Smith. Then on SSN ticker thing it says we agreed a fee, sooner this is done the better. I am getting pretty frustrated with everything but most fans will be...

Was Durrant not managing the kids last year ? Or was it Kirkwood ? If it was Durrant them I would be quite sure he did win some games - but because we didn't have some Arsenal kid on trial those games would be largely ignored....

Not sure but don't think they did that well last year whoever was in charge.

Third in reserve league and third in U21 league I think. Celtic won both.

I would cut some slack for the reserve league though - whilst we truly were playing our youngsters, Celtic were playing 1st team players.

He would still have won SOME games though, right.... which means your "Durrant cant seem to win a game as manager" theory is wrong :devil: - yep, semantics :thup:

AFAIK Kirkwood is still in charge of the U19's.

Celtic didn't win both last year because the U21 league actually became the reserve league (SPRL) 6 years ago! Further to that, it was decided at the SPL AGM last summer that participation in the SPRL would be 'optional'. We didn't enter a team AFAIK.

Kirkwood's U19's haven't won the league since their 2IAR in 06/07 & 07/08, but have made it a close contest up until Celtic ran away with it last year. Celtic hadn't come close to winning it since they last lifted it in 05/06. They did keep winning the SPRL though...

He's just scored for Croatia which will mean he'll be demanding another 5k p/w in wages.

Two of our targets have scored tonight (Jelavic and Mphela ((if he's still a target)) but we'll probably still be landed with Welcome and Smith. :(