Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

Agreed. His feet really need to hit the ground running. Anything else and the fans will be on his back.

I remember Novo's signing was drawn out and frustrating but this seems to beat it and everything else.

I think that could be due to the fact we haven't signed anybody in what seems like ten years:)

I hope for the players sake he hits the ground running

I was under the impression he also wasn't happy with our �£15k wage offer.

Ian Durrant has revealed Rangers will run the rule over Nacer Barazite for the rest of the month.

The Ibrox coach�s initial impressions of the 20-year-old Dutch youngster were positive and he wasted no time making Walter Smith aware of his debut display in a 2-1 friendly defeat by Glentoran.

ââ?¬Å?That was his first game for some time,ââ?¬Â said Durrant. ââ?¬Å?And you can see his Arsenal background with his crisp passing and nice touches.

ââ?¬Å?I spoke with the gaffer after the game to inform him of my impressions of the lad and I think we have him on trial for the next two of three weeks so we will obviously be hoping to have a better look at him during that time. However, I was certainly pleased with his display. I can maybe see him with a better calibre of player around him doing very well.ââ?¬Â

Durrant, in charge of a young Rangers team, also revealed that Rangers made a ââ?¬Å?couple of bidsââ?¬Â for players yesterday, one of whom is Nikica Jelavic, with talks over a sell-on fee being the final stumbling block.

Rapid Vienna want a slice of any amount the Ibrox side receive in the future for selling Jelavic, but otherwise it is thought a deal is all but agreed, with the fee being �£4.1m.

The 24-year-old striker is currently on international duty, with Croatia playing a friendly in Slovakia tonight, but the expectation is that he will then return to Vienna to complete his move to Rangers. Although personal terms are not yet thought to have been agreed, Jelavic has made it clear he wants to move, and an offer of around �£15,000 a week is expected to be signed.

Rapid play a cup match on Saturday against their own amateur side, but Jelavic is unlikely to take part.

"And you can see his Arsenal background with his crisp passing and nice touches.

“I spoke with the gaffer after the game to inform him of my impressions of the lad and I think we have him on trial for the next two of three weeks so we will obviously be hoping to have a better look at him during that time. However, I was certainly pleased with his display. I can maybe see him with a better calibre of player around him doing very well.”

I find the boldened bits a bit cringeworthy. I don't think we should be expecting much from our youngsters. :)

Guest Flying Hippo

I don't think you can read anything into a team of kids losing last night. If it's men against boys, the men will always have an advantage regardless of the stature of the club they play for

Man U and their kids are very different to us and our kids. They are picking up the cream of world football (for the most part) whilst we most certainly arent. Hardly a reasonable comparison.

No really comparing, just pointing out that it depends on the youngsters - which you seem to agree with. If the guys we have, have any chance of making it into a Rangers first team (and plenty of people on here think we should play half a team of them) then they should be capable of doing a job against far lesser opposition.

Thing is, I don't know if we can judge them - as Durrant doesn't seem to be able to win a game as a manager...

I could be wrong anyway, but it's the impression I get.