Rangers have agreed a �£1.5million fee with Stoke City for James Beattie.

A better option that Velicka.

Neither fill me with joy with their fitness problems and lack of mobility.

Boyd may have been as slow as a week in the jail and ran as if he was towing an 8 berth caravan but at least we knew he would score goals and stayed largely injury free.

Jelavic to Beattie. Is that the sum of our scouting?

�£4million prospect to �£1.5million has-been?

so the papers say, is this actually true or just another way of saying we're not signing him?

So is it a definite then that papers cannot report a simple fact, as to the alleged circumstances about a work permit.

Why does everything have to be turned into a drama or a conspiracy.

Anyone with any sense would check out the permit situation first.

Neither fill me with joy with their fitness problems and lack of mobility.

Boyd may have been as slow as a week in the jail and ran as if he was towing an 8 berth caravan but at least we knew he would score goals and stayed largely injury free.

Jelavic to Beattie. Is that the sum of our scouting?

�£4million prospect to �£1.5million has-been?

Careful now Frankie, you uttered the four letter word. :spl:

Rangers eye surprise move for Stoke City striker James Beattie

Rangers are discussing a surprise swoop for veteran Stoke striker James Beattie.

Record Sport can reveal Ibrox boss Walter Smith has already held talks with chief executive Martin Bain about scraping together a package for the 32-year-old who looks to be on his way out at the Britannia Stadium following last season's public spat with manager Tony Pulis.

The financially-stricken Scottish champions may even try to strike a deal with Pulis to allow them to take Beattie on a season-long loan as Bain and Smith attempt to find enough wriggle room in their meagre budget to bulk up a desperately depleted first-team squad.

The former Southampton and Everton striker is also on the radar of Premiership outfit Blackburn - his hometown team - but Ewood Park boss Sam Allardyce has cooled his interest after Stoke slapped a �£1.5million price on Beattie's head. While Bain does have sufficient emergency funds to afford that kind of fee he would be unlikely to get close to meeting Beattie's wage demands of �£35,000 a week.

Either the player would have to accept a hefty pay cut or his move would have to be part subsided by Stoke in the form of a bumper pay-off.

There is, however, a possible third scenario which would be even more appealing to Bain and Smith who are hoping to bring in at least three quality players after losing six from last season's title-winning squad.

If Stoke do not receive a firm offer Rangers would be in pole position and could cash in by offering to take Beattie north on a temporary 12-month deal and paying half his wages.

The striker has been largely hailed a success at Stoke but his relationship with Pulis hit rock bottom in December when the pair were alleged to have traded blows after a defeat by Arsenal.

Now Beattie is looking for a fresh start and although it's understood he is hoping for a return to Blackburn the player - a close friend of Ibrox skipper Davie Weir from their time together at Goodison Park - has also been informed of Rangers' interest and would be keen to talk to Smith.

Meanwhile, Madjid Bougherra last night admitted he could be next out of Ibrox.

The defender, who helped Rangers beat Blackburn 2-1 in Australia yesterday, refused to rule out a big-money switch.

After seeing Kris Boyd, Kevin Thomson, Danny Wi lson, DaMarcus Beasley, Nacho Novo and Stevie Smith quit, he said: "Danny is different from me because he is only 18 and has many years ahead of him.

"I have a three-year contract and I'm in the Champions League but I am honest and if a big opportunity comes along for me and Rangers, why not?"

Last week Madjid was happy to stay and now he is making noises of leaving. Maybe he doesn't fancy Beattie either. I must admit it must be difficult for the players as well to see the team being butchered and only being offered an elastoplast to heal the wounds.

So is it a definite then that papers cannot report a simple fact, as to the alleged circumstances about a work permit.

Why does everything have to be turned into a drama or a conspiracy.

Anyone with any sense would check out the permit situation first.

it's the papers who are printing these dramas is it not?

they do report some facts but more than most they print crap full of false stories. i don't know the truth but IMO believing the papers is like believing a chinese whisper.......especially the DR.

it's the papers who are printing these dramas is it not?

they do report some facts but more than most they print crap full of false stories. i don't know the truth but IMO believing the papers is like believing a chinese whisper.......especially the DR.

And everything that comes out of Ibrox is gospel..allegedly..:whistle: