Draw for the CL

For the travelling Bears, that place Bursa in Turkey looks like it might be really nice btw! Turkey's fourth largest City with 2.5 million people. An industrialized, culturally charged metropolitan city according to wiki. Nicer place to go than Istanbul I'd have thought...

I wanted Chelsea and Madrid but probably got the next best for glamour, so Im happy with that.

I fancy us against anyone at Ibrox but our away form has to improve.

Valencia are the best side Ive ever seen at Ibrox back in Advocaats days. We played Munich, PSV and Parma off the park in that era but Valencia outclassed us, but I dont think they are near the same team these days.

Walter will have to improve our overall performance, there is not a lot in our past form in CL to suggest real hope, other than it's 11 v 11 and anything can happen, but usually it would appear it happens to us. Smith should just go at this group, his past attempts at holding onto the point we started with have been abject failures, get right intae them...

Smiths recent record in Europe.

SMITH'S EURO RECORD SINCE 2007

30 games in Uefa Cup and Champions League

9 wins (including penalty shoot-out win over Fiorentina)

11 defeats

10 draws

53 points dropped from a possible 90 points, points accrued 37

Probably needs updated after 13/12/09, but it only makes it worse.

I'm not worried about Man Utd Rooney was in Bougherra back pocket at the world cup :)

It is a tough draw, but Valencia aren't as strong seeing as they lost Villa and Silva but Mata is still there so it will be tough. I know nothing about Bursaspor apart from they won their league in the last game of the season.

Walter will have to improve our overall performance, there is not a lot in our past form in CL to suggest real hope, other than it's 11 v 11 and anything can happen, but usually it would appear it happens to us. Smith should just go at this group, his past attempts at holding onto the point we started with have been abject failures, get right intae them...

Smiths recent record in Europe.

SMITH'S EURO RECORD SINCE 2007

30 games in Uefa Cup and Champions League

9 wins (including penalty shoot-out win over Fiorentina)

11 defeats

10 draws

53 points dropped from a possible 90 points, points accrued 37

Probably needs updated after 13/12/09, but it only makes it worse.

Looks like reasonable stats to me. The thing about two leg cup competitions is that unless you win the trophy, you're always going to get beat. Even if you win the thing it is possible to have just over a 50% record - say by winning all your home games and losing your away but going though on aggregate or away goals.

Our record to the UEFA final probably doesn't look great when you spell it out in wins, draws and defeats, but it was a bloody good run.

Just looked and it was 7-7-5. Now that's in our best year for last decade and coming close to winning a trophy...

Not defending Walter here, just defending common sense from obvious negative spin.

It's impossible to really gauge Walter's record as the competitions have changed so much and he's had the more CL involvement than anyone. But it would at least have some integrity if we compared all Rangers managers and in fact all managers of Scottish clubs past and present.

How do you know how good or bad those stats are in isolation?

Like I said they look reasonable for a Scottish club to me - fair to middling as you'd expect form playing the best clubs in Europe.

Looks like reasonable stats to me. The thing about two leg cup competitions is that unless you win the trophy, you're always going to get beat. Even if you win the thing it is possible to have just over a 50% record - say by winning all your home games and losing your away but going though on aggregate or away goals.

Our record to the UEFA final probably doesn't look great when you spell it out in wins, draws and defeats, but it was a bloody good run.

Just looked and it was 7-7-5. Now that's in our best year for last decade and coming close to winning a trophy...

Not defending Walter here, just defending common sense from obvious negative spin.

It's impossible to really gauge Walter's record as the competitions have changed so much and he's had the more CL involvement than anyone. But it would at least have some integrity if we compared all Rangers managers and in fact all managers of Scottish clubs past and present.

How do you know how good or bad those stats are in isolation?

Like I said they look reasonable for a Scottish club to me - fair to middling as you'd expect form playing the best clubs in Europe.

God or bad, maybe the fact that we have the worst points total (2) of any British team in the CL and we were the first to lose all of our home games answers that, if you think that record is acceptable carry on, some of us expect higher standards and achievement from Rangers.

Guest Flying Hippo

Higher expectations of the name Rangers perhaps. Our squad last season was one of our worst (possibly the worst) to ever take part in European competition. Very slightly better off this season i'd say as we finally have a target man in Beattie and a man capable of trickery in Weiss

Edited by Flying Hippo