I'm convinced that if Walter told an interviewer not to keep asking the same question in slightly different words we would all be backing him. For those who say Smith would not, though, have walked out should also accept that the press would most likely show him more respect and not ask the same question 3 times when being asked not too and when the game it refers to has already been done to death.

I still, also, don't accept that it was a useful, valid or worthwhile question. Just trying to make the manager look silly and get him to admit a mistake. What does that achieve?

A question in relation to that night's tactics and the chages made to the team are not valid or worthwhile? :confused:

A question in relation to that night's tactics and the chages made to the team are not valid or worthwhile? :confused:

When we've had days of such questions I would say questions pertaining merely to the most recent game are more valid. We all know he made a mistake with Miller. Does getting him to say so change anything.

I'm convinced that if Walter told an interviewer not to keep asking the same question in slightly different words we would all be backing him. For those who say Smith would not, though, have walked out should also accept that the press would most likely show him more respect and not ask the same question 3 times when being asked not too and when the game it refers to has already been done to death.

I still, also, don't accept that it was a useful, valid or worthwhile question. Just trying to make the manager look silly and get him to admit a mistake. What does that achieve?

Why is it not a worthwhile question ?

This is a qualifying campaign - we dropped points to a poor Czech team by playing a ridiculous formation - we then have glorious failure against the world champs with a more attacking (formation-wise) formation.

Why is it that asking the national team manager if he got his tactics wrong in losing to an obviously inferior team whilst coming agonisingly close to a draw against the world champs ?

Why is that not a worthwhile question ? I sure would like to know if Levein still thinks that 4-6-0 tactic was appropriate and/or whether he would consider using it again.

The reality is that MANY Scotland fans wanted that exact question to be answered and Tanner was, effectively, asking it on behalf of those fans. For Levein to take the huff and walk out shows how immature he really is.

Part of his PAID job is to handle the media and that includes, whether you or I like it or not, questions that he may not like. His refusal to answer the question says more about him than the reporter asking the same question 3 different ways. He knows his formation was badly flawed - a simple "Aye, we should have went with a 4-5-1 rather than 4-6-0" and "Kenny Miller coming in did indeed make a difference" and a "I made a mistake" would have worked wonders.

But he didnt answer the question primarily, IMO, because he is too stubborn, too hard-headed and too arrogant too. But that is just my opinion

Why is that not a worthwhile question ? I sure would like to know if Levein still thinks that 4-6-0 tactic was appropriate and/or whether he would consider using it again.

It's a stupid question to ask in retrospect because he's going to think differently about it after the game & result. He honestly thought that was the formation to get us at least a point in Prague & that's just one reason why I think he's a complete muppet. If he uses that formation again & it doesn't result in 3 points, he's out of a job.

So all he has to say is aye I got it wro ng.

My mistake, we should get Tanner a Pullitzer or whatever the top journalsim award is.

It seems to me it's just about bullying him into admitting something we all already know, so I stand by what I say. Adds nothing of value, is a waste of time and does not help our future aspirations. Pointless.

Shall we ensure the press bully every manager into looking stupid when hindsight shows their tactics were maybe wroing?

Answering that question is clearly not about helping the fans understand anything but about belittling the manager.

So all he has to say is aye I got it wro ng.

My mistake, we should get Tanner a Pullitzer or whatever the top journalsim award is.

It seems to me it's just about bullying him into admitting something we all already know, so I stand by what I say. Adds nothing of value, is a waste of time and does not help our future aspirations. Pointless.

Shall we ensure the press bully every manager into looking stupid when hindsight shows their tactics were maybe wroing?

Answering that question is clearly not about helping the fans understand anything but about belittling the manager.

Or to look at it another way - in your scenario the best thing is just to have the manager script the questions - because when he gets a question he doesnt like he can just fuck off out of the interview. Aye, that would do it eh ?

No need for journalists at all in fact - the manager should just be given 15 mins after the game to prepare a statement and read it out to the robotic journalists in attendance.

If just ONE fan wants that question answered then it isnt pointless - Levein is employed FOR the fans as well as the nation. You seem to be willingly forgetting that part of his job is to handle the PR and media work and that he fell in that responsibility by walking away.

Or to use an example from your own profession. One of your clients asks you how to do a bicep curl and you say you dont want to answer it. They ask you two other ways and you just walk out of the gym. Think your employers would be happy at not answering the stupid question ? I doubt it.

If just ONE fan wants that question answered then it isnt pointless - Levein is employed FOR the fans as well as the nation. You seem to be willingly forgetting that part of his job is to handle the PR and media work and that he fell in that responsibility by walking away.

He's not though really, is he. He's employed to achieve the best results he can for the national team.

Or to use an example from your own profession. One of your clients asks you how to do a bicep curl and you say you dont want to answer it. They ask you two other ways and you just walk out of the gym. Think your employers would be happy at not answering the stupid question ? I doubt it.

That's a pretty daft example though isn't it? If I treated a client like that, they wouldn't come back. It matters not a jot to Levein if the press don't come back.

I dont think he's doing a good job. He doesn't do himself any favours at times.

But I don't see the point in that question. Goading the manager to confirm what we already know. If he had said yes I fucked up would everyone think what a brilliant journalist Tanner is for getting him to admit that and what a fantastic manner Levein had with the press? No. It was just a fan masquerading as a journalist taking a shot at his tactics for the Czech game, which all already know were wrong.

The question serves no useful purpose to anyone as far as I can say.

If this one fan you talked of got his answer would it make him sleep any better at night? Would it help him understand managerial decisions any better? Would it broaden his understanding of the game? Would it change the fact that manger got it wrong and that that perhaps led to our defeat?

He's not though really, is he. He's employed to achieve the best results he can for the national team.

That's a pretty daft example though isn't it? If I treated a client like that, they wouldn't come back. It matters not a jot to Levein if the press don't come back.

I dont think he's doing a good job. He doesn't do himself any favours at times.

But I don't see the point in that question. Goading the manager to confirm what we already know. If he had said yes I fucked up would everyone think what a brilliant journalist Tanner is for getting him to admit that and what a fantastic manner Levein had with the press? No. It was just a fan masquerading as a journalist taking a shot at his tactics for the Czech game, which all already know were wrong.

The question serves no useful purpose to anyone as far as I can say.

If this one fan you talked of got his answer would it make him sleep any better at night? Would it help him understand managerial decisions any better? Would it broaden his understanding of the game? Would it change the fact that manger got it wrong and that that perhaps led to our defeat?

If you honestly think that part of his employment does not entail dealing with the media then I think we are done here. The primary element of his employment is to get the best results but, as national team coach, dealing with the media MUST be an element to the job. If it isnt then the SFA should be shot because it gives a manager free reign to walk into a press conference, tell everyone on national TV to fuck off, walk out and not suffer any consequences.

Dealing with the media is an inherent part of ANY managers job.

Why is it a bad example ? Where your client doesnt come back, Levein potentially runs the risk of having supporters not come back as the press take less and less interest in Levein due to his antics. Think the SFA want that ? Thanks for strengthening my argument.

Tanner isnt there trying to be a "brilliant journalist". He is there, or should be, to ask the questions that the fans want answered. And you can guarantee that there would be plenty watching at home who would have been thinking "yeah, what DO you think of the tactics on Friday vs this evening".

So you know inside Tanner's head ? You know that he thought "I am going to make Levein look a tit here" ? BD has already said that he wanted that question answered too..... so just because YOU think you know what Tanner's motives are makes them so ? Wow.

It doesnt matter if the fan gets to sleep at night, does it ? Nor understand any managerial decisions. Using your logic what we really should do is simply scrap every single post match interview because by that point in time the game is finished and nothing changes the result.

I believe every manager of every team has an obligation to do pre/post match interviews,I'm sure sky sports would have something to say about it if a manager continued to evade any questions from a reporter which is relevant to the game,as well as the relevant association,also the fans who want to here what he has to say.

Why is it a bad example ? Where your client doesnt come back, Levein potentially runs the risk of having supporters not come back as the press take less and less interest in Levein due to his antics. Think the SFA want that ? Thanks for strengthening my argument.

It is a terrible analogy and as you're a smart guy I refuse to believe that you think it's a good one. Unsure how it strengthens your argument.